Quantcast

What is This Inverted "Boxxer"

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
It takes a special kind of person to look at a Boxxer and say "I should make this flexier, uglier and just plain worse"

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
He has at least 3 stanchions down there ready make sweet, abrasive, custom love to rocks. Assuming that thing actually works.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
doesn't make sense. the BOXXER lettering on the stanchion is about 5 inches from the bottom of the tube. so if he chopped off that part, judging where the BOXXER is now, how would the rest of it be long enough for 200mm of travel?
Look at the bottom of the stanchion by the wheel :rofl:

It's just upside down.

I don't remember. Is there anything about those dampers that would make them work weird upside down? :rofl:

i see that, but the printed logo is in the middle of the tube from the factory. to get the logo at the end like the contraption above, we would have had to cut several inches off the stanchion
i just seems to me that after cutting that much of the tube off, you'd be hard pressed to get 200mm of travel out of it...

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
doesn't make sense. the BOXXER lettering on the stanchion is about 5 inches from the bottom of the tube. so if he chopped off that part, judging where the BOXXER is now, how would the rest of it be long enough for 200mm of travel?
There is so much about the fabrication and motivation behind this fork that I want to know. However, as best I can tell it's from a crazy Russian Sur-ron enthusiast so the gory details will probably never make it past the Iron Curtain.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Also, I really want to check out a Sur Ron.
Spend 2 weeks before hand riding a size medium MTB from 2010 so when you hop on a Sur-ron you can look past the reach. Also, if it doesn't have a taller handlebar, firmer fork & shock, longer chain, and bigger front wheel take the geometry with a grain of salt. It was designed for the average size Chinese person who likes "nimble" handling.
You can skip all these mods with a Cake Kalk if you don't mind an extra 30lbs and $7000.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Spend 2 weeks before hand riding a size medium MTB from 2010 so when you hop on a Sur-ron you can look past the reach. Also, if it doesn't have a taller handlebar, firmer fork & shock, longer chain, and bigger front wheel take the geometry with a grain of salt. It was designed for the average size Chinese person who likes "nimble" handling.
You can skip all these mods with a Cake Kalk if you don't mind an extra 30lbs and $7000.
you have a picture of yours?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
You do realize no one gives a fuck about trials when they buy those things right?

And in general.....don't give a fuck about trials. :D
Yeah, i dont give too many fucks about trials, but having riden one a few times, trying to wrap my head around what you can actually do with one was mindbending. But your average moto/mtb guy could use a trials bike to go places that e-tard thing would never in a million years get to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm still kind of blown away that there aren't more 'trials bike with a seat' options. The bikes are sick. It's just that trials is stupid. I know you can add a bunch of crap to make them go places but there should be a gap between trials bike for actually going places and 125 2t mx bike.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I'm still kind of blown away that there aren't more 'trials bike with a seat' options. The bikes are sick. It's just that trials is stupid. I know you can add a bunch of crap to make them go places but there should be a gap between trials bike for actually going places and 125 2t mx bike.
That's what the KTM Freeride 250r is. Trials bikes aren't fun at speed cuz short suspension and steep head angle. In both those metrics the Freeride sits right between trials and MX. I barely ride my Freeride now that I have the Sur-ron. It's just so much more playful and MTB feeling. It's pretty rare to find something I can ride up on the Freeride but not the Sur-ron and in those instances it takes just a moment to lift/push it up. I carried it up 200 yards of steep scree field that I never would have gotten any gas bike up.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have been riding a friends Sur Ron here and there, super close to purchasing one. Possibilities for me on these are endless w/ the land access atmosphere in this region...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
so you changed the suspension and the wheels, what size is the rear wheel and what‘s the size of the shock?
Rear wheel is the stock 19" moto. I swapped the very light duty kid's MX tire to a 3" trials tire with some knobs cut. Up front I installed a 26", 40mm wide, carbon 36 spoke wheel Light Bicycle made for me with a 3" DH casing Duro tire. MTB tubeless in both. Besides being taller than stock it's much lighter. The more popular option is a moto 21" rim for more tire availability. The stock shock is 10.5×3.5" with 450lb spring. I'm still using the stock shock but with 500 or 550 spring depending on use. I went up 4 teeth on the sprocket to make up for the bigger tire and added links to the chain to maximize chainstay length (stock is near the front of the adjustment range). Finishing it up are Shimano finned Saint brake pads, swapping the hoses between levers to get American MTB brake setup, and a 50mm rise handlebar.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Rear wheel is the stock 19" moto. I swapped the very light duty kid's MX tire to a 3" trials tire with some knobs cut. Up front I installed a 26", 40mm wide, carbon 36 spoke wheel Light Bicycle made for me with a 3" DH casing Duro tire. MTB tubeless in both. Besides being taller than stock it's much lighter. The more popular option is a moto 21" rim for more tire availability. The stock shock is 10.5×3.5" with 450lb spring. I'm still using the stock shock but with 500 or 550 spring depending on use. I went up 4 teeth on the sprocket to make up for the bigger tire and added links to the chain to maximize chainstay length (stock is near the front of the adjustment range). Finishing it up are Shimano finned Saint brake pads, swapping the hoses between levers to get American MTB brake setup, and a 50mm rise handlebar.
Basically everything I would do if I was to get one as well...