Quantcast

What i've been up to

smurr

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
maple valley
have you ever thought of catching the water from the above freeway and set up a gravity flow sprinker to keep the soil from being powder? Im new to the thread so i dont know if you have already discussed this. Im sure you have

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Final Report

Well i'm happy to report that after a year of messing around with this trail i've come to what i consider true completion of the trail system.

As per many hints of this trail being an interpretive trail we get to demonstrate with signage the trail intent.

This trail key sign effectively explains the trail being a dual skills building/interpretive trail. My Uncle Tony Boyd who's a great digital artist created the artwork. We grew up together and are so much instinctively on the same page, it was fantastic to collaborate with him, and he was truly integral in the process.

www.tojoboyd.com/

A sample of 6 out of 17 total animal signs.

The great thing about them is they explain themselves.:)

To make this all happen however i had to fundraise through a budget shortfall. So i'm very happy that my lbs Center Cycle stepped up with a hearty donation to ensure we could purchase the signs.

www.Centercycle.com

Of course ultimately thanks has to be given to Seattle City Parks and Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance, for the opportunity, land, funding, and volunteer coordination to do the trail in the first place.

www.evergreenmtb.org

Particularly Mike Westra, through the process of him being project manager we rarely butted heads, and through a very rigorous process we established a good working relationship in a stressful environment. Mike gave me freedom, but also alot of constructive criticism. A little of which i actually heeded, haha, but ultimately he proved to be a great communicator, and capable coordinator. Thanks man.

Gotta give a quick shout out to Kevin R and his company Travis Inc. a stove making company for help in acquiring the TQALU steel letters. Kevin R is a local DH mountain biking pioneer and i'm really happy for his help with the letters.

So very happy in that the trail turned out as per my original vision. Had to pout a little here or there, but i'm very happy to see people use the trail. People from all across the spectrum, new riders, advanced riders, XC riders, DH riders, young, old, you name it. It's great to see not only the Tqalu, but the whole park be so active and busy.

In my time working there i've met so many people, and have been happy to see mountain bikers i've ridden with from across the area from different circles, pop in to see/ride the park. It's really been an incredible fun social experience.

Still have been around tweaking the trail a bit here or there, and will continue to keep it dialed as the years go by. For the most part the time was well spent and things have held up well. Really happy it's done, but of course planting a few trees and ferns here or there, pulling some weeds, ornate driftwood rock garden, general maintenance..... as you can see the work is never really done.

But it's good, Duthie Hill is our clubs next Skills park construction project, and i can't wait to ride what "other" people build there.;) Should be fun!

So i hope you all enjoyed the report. Wanted the project to be transparent and publicized, i think it was helpful. Also the thread is a unique journal, i hope that it was educational for others interested in similar projects.

Mountain Biking has been integral to my well being for many years. It is but a simple recreation, but the experiences it has provided me have been valuable. So even when giving back to mountain biking the experiences are still enriching. i hope that's what people who've followed this thread take away...

Leem lunt
(thanks Okanogan Salish)
Skook out.:)

Last edited: