Quantcast

what kind of tires you running?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
big earls. 2.5 rear & 2.7 front
hollyrollers 2.4 front & rear

thinking of trying something lighter. i had some singleplys for a while, but they were cut up by the rocks on my local XC ride.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Tires are very subjective towards the dirt/trails in your area, so there is no "real" best combo...But for our area i really feel this is these are the best combos you can run...

xc - Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3 front/Zmax or Larson rear 2.3(depending on how dry it is)

DH - Nevegals 2.7 front 2.5 rear

Street/Dirt - Holy Rollers.... Tires really dont matter much for that.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Whatever I can get for free. This season it's Kenda. They're allright and I really like them 99% of the time. I would love to get on Michelin, as Michelin is hands down the muth****ing best.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
Minion DHF 2.5 ST(f) High Roller 2.5 ST(r) on the (DH bike M1)
High roller 2.35 st (f) Larsen tt 2.35 (r) on the trail bike (foes fxr)

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
For rocks and dust:
Sticky single-ply Nevegal rear and Blue Groove front, 2.35"

2 Questions (sorry to hijack)

Do you run Nevegals front? I tried it and they felt worse than the BG, but my Nevegal is balding.

How does a 2ply casing reduce pinch flats? Is it not the same as running more PSI to compensate for a more pliant casing?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
mandown said:
can you spill some details on the short trackers?:help:
Just Kenda's version of a semi slick. They work really well in the rear and they're good for the front is the course is well groomed. They're superlight and work pretty good for the street as well. Of course this is all just my opnion...D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Spec enduro 2.4 is HUGE. Some people run single ply fronts and 2 ply rears because you pinch flat the rear more.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
bicyclist the 2.4 is as big as my 2.5 micheline and theyy grip really well plus they are light at like 800 grams. It is a fast tire the grips on up hill climbs very well. I think it is one of the best do everthing tire except for maybe mude and sand.

Roodle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Rockville, MD
big bike:
2.7 minion f st + 2.5 highroller st = most northeast conditions, dry hardpack, drying soft dirt, these stay on all the time mostly
2.7 mobster 60a + 2.7 mobster 60a = got them free at snowshoe and run them when it's very rocky and dry, scary when wet or muddy because they're hard compound

little bike:
2x 2.5 highroller 60a = got them cheap and handle well at hardtail speeds without wearing out instantly, good roll
2x 2.35 specialized enduro pro = came with my hardtail and are impressive, large volume, and singleply so they're fairly light

no bike:
2x 2.5 wtb timberwolves = worst tire ever made quite possibly, weak sidewall, big dumb knobs that don't hook up in rocks, sand, mud, or slop (anything left?!) and are truly dangerous front tires