Quantcast

What my bike mechanic told me...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was at a party and I saw a guy wearing an XTR cap, so I chatted with him about bikes.

He was a casual rider who mostly did road, and we talked about several subjects, including the difference between Shimano, Campy, and SRAM.

He said his mechanic thought poorly of SRAM, that it wasn't very refined. I laughed at the idea that 30 miles into a brutal dirt ride that you couldn't depend on SRAM.

I realized that many mechanics do not ride that much, and they would have no idea about what happens at the end of a 5 hour ride.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I was at a party and I saw a guy wearing an XTR cap, so I chatted with him about bikes.

He was a casual rider who mostly did road, and we talked about several subjects, including the difference between Shimano, Campy, and SRAM.

He said his mechanic thought poorly of SRAM, that it wasn't very refined. I laughed at the idea that 30 miles into a brutal dirt ride that you couldn't depend on SRAM.

I realized that many mechanics do not ride that much, and they would have no idea about what happens at the end of a 5 hour ride.
You can't depend on Sram when you hit your rear derailleur and the damn parallelogram won't move because the pivot gets messed up before your hanger gets even a tad bent...ask me how I know. Also, Sram doesn't 'feel' refined because it's kinda clunky, maybe that's what his mech meant.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
another cool story:

the first time I heard of Sram I was talking to a guy I knew that was super into biking. I initially thought the name was "SLAM" because he spoke in very thick Engrish

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You can't depend on Sram when you hit your rear derailleur and the damn parallelogram won't move because the pivot gets messed up before your hanger gets even a tad bent...ask me how I know. Also, Sram doesn't 'feel' refined because it's kinda clunky, maybe that's what his mech meant.
stop being a hack rider and hitting your rear mechanical on trail debris.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Shimano's packaging is easier to recycle. Plus the little block that comes on the front derailluer is easier to pull out. Somtimes the SRAM one gets deformed and won't come out. I then gotta stop what I am doing grab a screwdriver and push it out of the derailluer. That 5 minutes is the difference between being able to sneak off and do a bong hit or continuing staring at the female sales staff, instead of working.... Phug SRAm....

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Shimano's packaging is easier to recycle. Plus the little block that comes on the front derailluer is easier to pull out. Somtimes the SRAM one gets deformed and won't come out. I then gotta stop what I am doing grab a screwdriver and push it out of the derailluer. That 5 minutes is the difference between being able to sneak off and do a bong hit or continuing staring at the female sales staff, instead of working.... Phug SRAm....
Nice... crap. Must spread.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I prefer to discard the derailleurs and use a stick to move the chain between sprockets.
Nah thats not true... I clearly remember you having the last working Shimano Deore DX rear derailluer in existence on your bike. Plus you were still rocking some RX100 STI shifters.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
No one cares that Sanjuro is talking bikes with the geek and not working the females?
We are quite accepting actually. We understand that it's not his fault he got the Ghey on him living in SF. The Crying Game is not just a movie there, it's a fact of life...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I really didn't meant to start a Taiwan vs Japan vs Italy component debate. And the lady I went with was enough for me.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The Cambio Corsa shifter consisted of two levers and rods, attached to the right-side seatstay. One of the levers actuated the quick release on the rear wheel, the other moved a fork-like device that moved the chain from side to side. There were no jockey pulleys or other takeup mechanism on the chain. The rear dropouts were horizontal and somewhat longer than they are today, since "slack" in the chain was taken up by allowing the wheel to move backward and forward.
To shift, the rider would first loosen the rear wheel's quick release (remember, this is done while riding!). Then, the other lever would be turned to move the chain from one cog to the other -- as it moved, the rear wheel would move forward (when shifting to the larger cog) or backward (shifting to the smaller cog). When the shift was complete, the quick release was tightened again.
http://campyonly.com/history.html#Cambio Corsa

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I tried mounting a SRAM unit on my Surly 1X1, but they didn't include the appropriate mounting hardware in the package. I'm sending it back and ordering Shimano.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Cambio Corsa was WW2 era tech. It was only out a few years before derailleurs came out. Get one of these setups and out hip a hipster. Talk sh!t about his "mainstream" bike.