Quantcast

What parts have been on your bike the longest?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll spend money on levers when the nice ones do a single thing my free ones don't. They could use a coat of spray paint though.
Not rattle and adjust immediately come to mind :patsak:

And my unknown age Hope Enduro 4's,
eh, i had hope dh04s and they were terrible anywhere outside a parking lot. great looking brakes, just had zilch in the way of on-mountain power and reliability.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
long live BB7's I was just talking about how solid those things are with Justin on a ride last weekend.

You actually came up, go on eBay and get your set of respectable levers eg they xtr's you will thank yourself ;)
I'll spend money on levers when the nice ones do a single thing my free ones don't. They could use a coat of spray paint though.
I would go for a nice set of avid levers to go with the bb7's myself. Something with the speeddial system... always seemed like a better combo to me with better power and modulation adjustments as compared to the xtr levers, least my thoughts on the subject

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Hope Pro 2 front hub, 3 years. Just had to replace the bearings in it.
Old Kalloy post on my XC bike (probably 8+ years old...), stripped it with oven cleaner, looks rather good but I want to replace it with a silver Thomson.
'05 DeeMax wheels on my XC bike (yeah I know)...

Other than the hub, nothing on my DH bike is more than a season old.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
This thread turned out to be way busier than I would have thought! Some pretty impressive parts in here...and I thought I was doing good with just 5 year old stuff.

I agree fully about well designed non wear parts lasting for ages, I'd like to see more of those produced these days.

Keep it coming!

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
DMR V12 Mag pedals, after a couple of years they started creaking but a strip, clean and re-grease and they're as good as new .....well apart from looking worse for wear cosmetically.

My '06 Rock Shox Tora has been on a few bikes and still going strong with only oil servicing on a regular basis (mainly due to chaging travel rather than needing an oil change).

Shimano XT brakes, had a set since '06 as well, when I got a 2nd bike I simply brought another set of the same!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This thread turned out to be way busier than I would have thought! Some pretty impressive parts in here...and I thought I was doing good with just 5 year old stuff.

I agree fully about well designed non wear parts lasting for ages, I'd like to see more of those produced these days.

Keep it coming!
you get what you pay for. better initial quality and smart weight to durability specs and you get great parts. High end hubs can last forever if they're built right...the taiwan stuff ends up in the garbage.

I'd like to see more manufacturers building quality stuff over death by lightness. Looking at the sub40 thread, people are edging sub30, and it's terrifying. I like being able to ride my bike after a crash....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
you get what you pay for. better initial quality and smart weight to durability specs and you get great parts. High end hubs can last forever if they're built right...the taiwan stuff ends up in the garbage.

I'd like to see more manufacturers building quality stuff over death by lightness. Looking at the sub40 thread, people are edging sub30, and it's terrifying. I like being able to ride my bike after a crash....
Im with you there. Its getting rediculous how light DH bikes are getting.... 40 was cool, but nearing the 30 mark is just dangerous, there is only so much metal you can take out of a bike

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
kona branded top cap (headset)
Xt rear hub (converted from qr to solid axle)
Xt brakes

everything else has been changed out over 2 bikes now.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
xt brakes from 06, an xo r mech from 07, a set of mavic crossmax xls 3 years under me and bought them second hand. Sure i have a few other bits and pieces that are about 4 or 5 years on the go.