Quantcast

What should I get

Bob123456

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
What should I look for in a bike. I want to get a bike but I want to have a little knowlage about what is good and not. Just like on specs and stuff like that that I should know before I buy a bike.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
You first need to determine your price range. For $300 you can get a very basic hardtail that will hold up to a little abuse. If you plan on eventually riding rough trails or if you plan on eventually riding aggressively, you should spend at least $500-600. Again, that is for a hardtail. You aren't going to find many good full suspension bikes for less that $1000.

The biggest components you should look at in my opinion are the wheels and the fork (if it has a suspension fork). Make sure the wheels and fork can hold up to the riding you plan to do. The best thing you can do is figure out your price range and test ride as many bikes as you can find within that price range.

If I knew the type of riding and how much you want to spend, I could probably be a little more helpful. Check out Giant, Specialized, KHS, and Iron Horse bikes. They all seem to have a good selection of budget minded bikes.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
answer these first.

1. what type of riding will you be doing?
2. how often will you be riding?
3. how much money do you have to spend?

seeing as how you are new, I would suggest not spending more then 300-400.00 on your first bike.

the reason being, you may not like it. riding a bike isn't for everyone. if you do decide you like you will be spending money upgrading stuff anyways.

I see people buy an expensive bike and then realize that they don't like clipless pedals or full suspension or the bike is the wrong size (even though the sales person said it was perfect and it may have been perfect based on the charts they use but everyone is different and rides different unless your doing road riding)(for the most part...)

if you ask everyone on this board how much money they spend on bikes a year your would be suprised. people replace all kinds of stuff even though it works fine. they want to try new shifters or rims or tires or brakes or whatever. but until you have some hours riding around, you won't know what you like and don't like.

I probably make no sense......

:)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by pnj
answer these first.

1. what type of riding will you be doing?
2. how often will you be riding?
3. how much money do you have to spend?

seeing as how you are new, I would suggest not spending more then 300-400.00 on your first bike.

the reason being, you may not like it. riding a bike isn't for everyone. if you do decide you like you will be spending money upgrading stuff anyways.

I see people buy an expensive bike and then realize that they don't like clipless pedals or full suspension or the bike is the wrong size (even though the sales person said it was perfect and it may have been perfect based on the charts they use but everyone is different and rides different unless your doing road riding)(for the most part...)

if you ask everyone on this board how much money they spend on bikes a year your would be suprised. people replace all kinds of stuff even though it works fine. they want to try new shifters or rims or tires or brakes or whatever. but until you have some hours riding around, you won't know what you like and don't like.

I probably make no sense......

:)
You do make sense.....NNTW....

The only thing I would add is to go down to a LBS and try out some bikes to see which one "fits". Most shops allow test rides and really, it's a nice way to find a bike that is comfortable for you.