Quantcast

what the deal with 12pt sockets? (Craftsman)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i just looked at some socket sets and half of them were 12pt (the larger ones). looking at individual sockets, i can't seem to find larger ones in 6pt. they're all 12pt. most of the ones in the set i got a couple months ago were 12pt. why is this? does it have something to do with not gripping the corners?

and i'm gonna be getting a new "home" tool box tomorrow. yea.

J

JRB

The kits are not usually 6 pt. There are many bolts that work with 12 point. It's that everything is soft on a bike. Find the most common ones you need and just get them individually. Sears has both on the hangers. The only 3/4 and 1 inch drive 6 points I have ever seen were John Deere.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
johnbryanpeters said:
Twelve point sockets are more common because they're easier to use. Six points are easier on the hardware.

If you're feeling particularly rich (2x Craftsman), flag down your friendly Snap-On dealer.

J

MMMM Snap On Tools. :thumb:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I know they're no Snap On but my Metrinch set fookin rocks. The best part is that you don't need to have two seperate sets of wrenches or sockets...Metrinch works with both metric and standard. Its because they grip the walls and not the edges that they don't have to fit perfectly.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Twelve point sockets are used for double hex bolts.

Double hex bolts are used in higher torque applications where you dont want to be rounding off the corners and where there may be limited turning space available for your ring spanners. Double hex also gives a better interface between bolt and tool.

Bolts are often found on the bottom end of connecting rods in hi-po engines. Also alot of high end fasteners for automotive and aerospace. Not necessary for bikes though it would look sweet. :drool:

J

JRB

JoeRay said:
Twelve point sockets are used for double hex bolts.

Double hex bolts are used in higher torque applications where you dont want to be rounding off the corners and where there may be limited turning space available for your ring spanners. Double hex also gives a better interface between bolt and tool.

Bolts are often found on the bottom end of connecting rods in hi-po engines. Also alot of high end fasteners for automotive and aerospace. Not necessary for bikes though it would look sweet. :drool:
Man - you sure know your nuts. :eek:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so would i be better off selling my 12pts and replacing them with 6pts? they're kinda freaking me out. scared i'm going to round off bolts.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Smelly said:
you clearly need this:

Oh god run away. I dont have good experiences with gator grip tools.

We use Snap-on at the shop... All my tools at home are craftsman. Cant beat the the replacement deal.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
the Inbred said:
so would i be better off selling my 12pts and replacing them with 6pts? they're kinda freaking me out. scared i'm going to round off bolts.
Craftsman 6-point sockets are getting harder to find in the stores. I recently added a bunch of 1/2" dr sockets to my tool collection. Generally, I prefer 6 pt sockets, but my local Sears only had 12 pt. Eventually I'll find some 6 pt sockets and then have both... There are situation when you prefer one over the other - especially in automotive work. all of my 3/8" dr and 1/4" drive sockets are 6 pt. Granted, most of the time, I reach for my impact sockets even if I'm not using a impact gun with them - they're all 6 pt.

J

JRB

I snapped a 3/4 inch breaker bar and the guy asked how the guy on the cheater pipe was. I told him I was fine, but I did bust my ass when it broke. I didn't do that any more. :)

the Inbred said:
No. For most work, quality twelve point sockets are just fine, and they're easier to work with - the six point sockets never seem to be at just the angle you need to get on a fastener head when space is limited.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Curb Hucker said:
No you cant. I used a 3/4" drive socket wrench as an improv hammer, brought it in and got a free new one
Yep, and for this reason, I can't, nor my old man, justify buying Snap-On stuff. We broke a standard socket with an impact wrench, brought it in, replaced it no problem.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I use mostly craftsman 12pt crap but I have a few misc. Snap-On bits for for fork top-caps etc that strip easily. A good trick for getting even better purchase on stubborn shallow hardware is to grind down the edge of the socket flat to get a few more mm's of bite. I do this on sockets for fork top-caps and also on the sockets drain plugs on my trucks since those are also very shallow.

Here is a pic of 12pt hardware. A lot of guys use this stuff on high-end race cars and they are also often safety-drilled and wired.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it seems kinda weird to me that Craftsman would spec their cheaper kids with 12pt bolts, if their dominant use is in autos and high-end stuff.

man, i wish they would have a setup so that you could order 12, 15, whatever # of the sockets you want for a fixed price.

--edit--

oh yeah, i checked out the price of Snap-On stuff and damn. you guys are right...cha-ching.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
They just do it because a 12pt socket will fit both a 6 and a 12pt bolt/nut whereas a 6pt socket will only fit a 6pt bolt/nut. They do it because it fits more applications.