Quantcast

What the hell?

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
Weirdest thing has been happening with my fork.

The damn thing won't stay tight.

Everything was installed legit. I tighten it up, and it looks fine.

But then I ride it, and it's loose like a wet noodle. Most annoying thing ever.

It's a Manitou Sherman Slider and a 3 year old FSA Pig Ball Bearing Headset.

Think a simple headset swap (I'll use a new pig in my Scream, to hold over until I get a Chris King) will solve my problem? I can't think of anything else.

It's the weirdest damn thing. I doubt my frame is ovalized, but it just might be (02 Stumpjumper, and it did it on my old fork too).

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
What do you mean by "the fork is loose?"

Are the stanctions moving in the lowers?

Is your brake rotor tight? Caliper?

You loosened the top crown before tightening the headset, correct?

It's likely the frame is ovalized, sounds like it. Especially if you have been doing anything remotely abusive to it. XC frames weren't designed for 6" DH triple clamp forks.

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
My bad, I wasn't clear.

My headset will not stay tight.

It's annoying as hell.

I probally ovalized my head tube. If so, cool, if not, I still don't care. I was just wondering what the hell it was.

I wasn't about to shim it with a beercan. Espically since the Scream is only a few days away.

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
What's the worst?

A more broken frame?

I AM SO PISSED OFF!!!! MY SCREAM IS DELAYED EVEN MORE!!!! Earliest possible dock date of August 8th. 2 day minimum in Customs, and a minimum of 5 days shipping. I can only HOPE it get's here that fast.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Are you sure there is no problem with the stem. It should hold the headset tight even if the frame is slightly ovalised.

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
nope, 2 different stem's.

The current one is an Enduro stem.

I'll just pop a new headset in on my new frame. no biggie.

If it's loose on my Scream. Then there is a problem. If I can ovalize the head tube of a Scream. I'll definately have some problems.

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
I use to run a ball bearing pig headset and had thesame problem. It turned out that when I installed the headset and tightened everything up, the piece that holds the bearings was bent. That kept it from sitting flush and I ended up with some play in the headset. Could be your problem as well.

J

Joe33

Your not using that stupid fsa expansion deal to the replace the regular star nut are you? I had all kinds of problems using one of those. Finally I overtightened it and it broke, then I got a regular starnut and realized that it had been the cause of all my problems.

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by Joe33
Your not using that stupid fsa expansion deal to the replace the regular star nut are you? I had all kinds of problems using one of those. Finally I overtightened it and it broke, then I got a regular starnut and realized that it had been the cause of all my problems.
Nope, I am anti-pre-load.

Bohica - That's probally it. I have never changed the bearings in my headset in all 3 years of it's use. I just re-grease it every once in a while.

I'll just start from scratch with the Scream :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My friend went through the same thing, turns out the headset cap was bottoming out on the stem because he needed another spacer. I know, it's stupid, and you've probably checked, but take another peek, maybe throw another spacer under there just to be sure. It never hurts!

Good luck with your scream though!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I had a similar problem a few years ago with a Tank headset and a Boxxer. Turns out the bearings were smashed. Chris King!!!

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by BAC5.2
Nope, I am anti-pre-load.
What exactly do you mean by anti-preload?

You are using the bolt to pull the headset not just pushing the stem down with your hand.

I have a pig headset in a frame with an ovalised head tube and tightening the headset up until just before it gets difficult to turn hasn't caused any problems and will hopfully get a bit of extra life out of the frame.