Quantcast

What to do when ur boyfriend rides???

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
Well when I first meet my boyfriend some of you might know him Mike Barnes? I hated that all he wanted to do was ride, Well he used to ride BMX and then he sold it because he never rode it because I didn't ride much before I meet him. But know we ride MTB together most of the time. Well I am a beginner well I know how to ride a bike and stuff but to do tricks on my bike I am clueless.

And my boyfriend want me to kinda learn stuff like this but I am a very shy person and if we go to like a skate park or something with alot of people there I do not like to ride my bike then my boyfriends gets fusterated with me beacuse I get bord and I want to go home and he still wants to ride. So I figured that if I get a video camera it would be more fun then just sitting there but it's not all that fun.

I don't know if I should try to do tricks and hurt myself trying I know that's the only way I will not get board at a skate park.

WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP!!!!! :help: :help: :help:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow. i read this thread title as "what to do when your boyfriend DIES" :dead:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am a guy and hate going to the skate park when it is busy. If the dj park has more than 5 riders on the mound I leave. I don't have time to wait out a line, or watch ignorant (but skilled) 14 year olds constantly weasle their way in line. I also don't get that need to show off, so riding in front of people does nothing for me.

Is there not times when it is a little slower to go to the skate park? I know here mid afternoon it is dead and only gets busy at 3:40pm and then dies off again at 10pm.

Its cool that you are riding, but you do need to work on progression, I work with my gf and she just thinks differently than I do. She takes baby steps where sometimes I leap. So I had to reverse my thinking in order to make it enjoyable for her. Doing dh, I slow down and ride behind her and make sure I coach her a bit, give positive input (girls like that...odd). At the dj park, I just got her rolling the jumps, she finally got her front wheel up and now is workig towards air. I find it hard sometimes because it is a very different way to progress, probably the best thing that happened, my gf got a gf who rides, well. So now they push each other. In either case when I ride with her I go at her pace (most of the time) because she started riding to be with me, and now loves it, the price for that attempt is me making sure she keeps enjoying it.

Also don't be afraid to overprotect yourself. Wear some extra armour until you get the confidence to go without any (or a little) But remember you do have to progress a bit anyways, things come with time and with a little pushing.

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
As they say... "[Ride] like nobodies watching". Dont worry about it. most people would be encouraging.

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
Well my bf rides in front of me most of the time so he goes faster then I do then he gets a little fusterated beacuse I tell him to wait beacuse I am not a fast. And most of the skate parks we go to are in the states and they get really busy so I don't like to ride with lots of people beacuse I think that they are gonna laugh at me so I don't do it. I don't mind riding downhill not major downhill but my boyfriend like to go to the skate parks with a sh*tload of people and I don't like 2. I would rather it be me and him so he can kinda show me hw do do somethings.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
St Catherines Ontario? If it is I hear the park is pretty decent.

Oh I guess the park isn't lit. That kind of limits time.

But McT is right, the guys will likely be so happy to see a girl on a bike in the park trying stuff, that no one will laugh. When I go with my gf she gets more tips from other riders than me. I have a hard time putting into words what I am doing so more experienced riders help, they are stoked when girls come out to play :) I have a limit for how busy it is, but thats cause I don't like it busy, same with the mountain, I won't go up the mountain (winter or summer) if it is too crowded, not worth my time.

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
Anyway, everyone wants more girls to ride. the skate park i go to charges girls half off of the members price... 3 dollars to ride all day. nobody will laugh at you because you fall unless you laugh with them. or unless they dont like you, but unless your rude and mean, they have no reason to.

Besize, if they do laugh, just say 'Screw them'. Your only going to have to see them once or twice, ever, so what does it matter what they think?

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
McT said:
Anyway, everyone wants more girls to ride. the skate park i go to charges girls half off of the members price... 3 dollars to ride all day. nobody will laugh at you because you fall unless you laugh with them. or unless they dont like you, but unless your rude and mean, they have no reason to.

Besize, if they do laugh, just say 'Screw them'. Your only going to have to see them once or twice, ever, so what does it matter what they think?
This is very true thanks

chamber_gurl

Chimp
Nov 20, 2004
bristol, England
I kinda got the same problem as that girl. 'cept, no boyfriend helping me out!!!
Here where i live in england. People are mean. I wasn't allowed even in the skate park!!!
When i first started out i had to get up at 4.30am, climb over the fence with my bike (tuff work!!) and have a session, go home shower, then ride to college by 9am. this tired me out for sure!! but the determination was there.
I'm getting better, and counting down the days till i can ride down and do my sh*t at a reasonable hour in the day!
But at the end of the day, it's always gunna get dark. But no matter what your, age, sex or ability is, we all got a common thread: Rideing
thus we shud just unite and help each other out.
I'm getting more confident by the day, and i've ignored the people putting me down. And when i fall I'll always pick my self up, blood or no blood!!
Ride cuz you wanna ride!!!!

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
Ride cuz you wanna ride!!!![/QUOTE]

This is very true whoever said riding was only a guys sport if they laugh tell them to screw off and get a life.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
chamber_gurl said:
I kinda got the same problem as that girl. 'cept, no boyfriend helping me out!!!
Here where i live in england. People are mean. I wasn't allowed even in the skate park!!!
When i first started out i had to get up at 4.30am, climb over the fence with my bike (tuff work!!) and have a session, go home shower, then ride to college by 9am. this tired me out for sure!! but the determination was there.
I'm getting better, and counting down the days till i can ride down and do my sh*t at a reasonable hour in the day!
But at the end of the day, it's always gunna get dark. But no matter what your, age, sex or ability is, we all got a common thread: Rideing
thus we shud just unite and help each other out.
I'm getting more confident by the day, and i've ignored the people putting me down. And when i fall I'll always pick my self up, blood or no blood!!
Ride cuz you wanna ride!!!!
:love:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Louder said:
Well when I first meet my boyfriend some of you might know him Mike Barnes? I hated that all he wanted to do was ride, Well he used to ride BMX and then he sold it because he never rode it because I didn't ride much before I meet him. But know we ride MTB together most of the time. Well I am a beginner well I know how to ride a bike and stuff but to do tricks on my bike I am clueless.

And my boyfriend want me to kinda learn stuff like this but I am a very shy person and if we go to like a skate park or something with alot of people there I do not like to ride my bike then my boyfriends gets fusterated with me beacuse I get bord and I want to go home and he still wants to ride. So I figured that if I get a video camera it would be more fun then just sitting there but it's not all that fun.

I don't know if I should try to do tricks and hurt myself trying I know that's the only way I will not get board at a skate park.

WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP!!!!! :help: :help: :help:
My first piece of advice would be to not ride over your head...meaning, take your time and don't rush out to hurt yourself. Ride because you want to ride and have fun! I am sorry that your boyfriend gets frustrated with you...if he really wants you to ride with him, then he should swallow his frustration and really try to help you out (give you riding tips, slow down so you can see/follow his line and help you out with some basic skills). I do know (from my own personal experience) that it is VERY difficult to learn to ride when you are riding with someone who is SO much better than you are, but it can be done. I would recommend trying to contact some other beginners in your area and ride together. Also, check with some local bike shops and see if there are other women riders out there that might be willing to take you out riding and teach you some of the basics.

Riding should be fun and right now it doesn't really seem like you are having all that much fun. Good luck!!! :)

Feb 3, 2003
it seems the story gets twisted a little everytime someone says something, but i get frustrated when we get to the skatepark, or whereever and 30 minutes later she wants to go home. i am willing to help her out. but i think it's much of a head game for her, i know she can do it if she trys. i have also found that riding with someone better helps you. you can't learn major things from people who are trying to learn off you.

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
Riding 4 Life said:
i am willing to help her out. but i think it's much of a head game for her, i know she can do it if she trys.

Well how am I supposed to learn anything when the two of us can't go out together we are always going with other people. Like I said in my first post I am shy people will laugh so I wanna learn stuff before I go to a skate park or where ever. You have to show me hand on hand.

chamber_gurl

Chimp
Nov 20, 2004
bristol, England
If they wanna laugh let 'em, they shuld be thanking you for providing them with some quality entertainment for a start!!! maybe you cud start charging them for smiles?!?! anyways... If they wanna laff let them, cuz deep down you wanna wipe that smile off their faces rite? the only way thats gunna be done is by getting good and stunning them in shock!!!!

Also, try and quit the mentallity u got going down, cuz everyone bails every now and then.
If someone saw you fall out of a window, its a shock, people may laugh, but if people saw u fall off a bike? ITS NORMAL!!! cuz wot makes a good biker is the ability to pick themselves up after a fall.

But most of all remember, If us girls fall, it aint too bad rite, but if a guy falls, so cud his chance of having babies in the future!!!....
In conclusion, do what u wanna do, no matter wot the people think, and always be greatful for the female anatomy!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
chamber_gurl said:
In conclusion, do what u wanna do, no matter wot the people think, and always be greatful for the female anatomy!
Believe me we are grateful. Then the mods took away the SA forum. :(

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
chamber_gurl said:
If they wanna laugh let 'em, they shuld be thanking you for providing them with some quality entertainment for a start!!! maybe you cud start charging them for smiles?!?! anyways... If they wanna laff let them, cuz deep down you wanna wipe that smile off their faces rite? the only way thats gunna be done is by getting good and stunning them in shock!!!!

Also, try and quit the mentallity u got going down, cuz everyone bails every now and then.
If someone saw you fall out of a window, its a shock, people may laugh, but if people saw u fall off a bike? ITS NORMAL!!! cuz wot makes a good biker is the ability to pick themselves up after a fall.

But most of all remember, If us girls fall, it aint too bad rite, but if a guy falls, so cud his chance of having babies in the future!!!....
This is a very true statment. IT IS NORMAL to fall off your bike trying new things. Girls can fall off our bikes as many times and still have kids but guys thats a different story.

I think that the one thing that IS missing here is the fact your BF should be happy that you ride at all. I cant get my wife to go out with me at all. We ride this paved trail and thats the extent of it. On behalf of the majority of the men in here, let me say Thank you for riding and representing the fairer sex.

Now, as for your BF... First thing I would do is explain the situation to him. If he cares anything for you, he should be sympatheic to your needs and expectations. If you are a few levels lower than him on the riding scheme, then he needs to remember that. And if he doesnt, remind him from time to time by taking your time and doing it at YOUR speed. Make him wait at the trailhead for you. As for the skate park, he needs to realize that some women arent as talented as men in that aspect of riding. It sounds like he's pushing too hard. Ride to your abilities and do what you think you can do. And if it keeps up, I'm sure that there are PLENTY of other MEN out there that would love to have a woman mountain biker as their significant other.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
Louder said:
Well my bf rides in front of me most of the time so he goes faster then I do then he gets a little fusterated beacuse I tell him to wait beacuse I am not a fast. QUOTE]

----------this is called asshat syndrome. u always should ride to the slower riders pace no matter what. that stuff aint cool. we ride w/ a chic in our group that isnt the fastest person in the world at downhilling. u must just b ready to relax a lil. the more frusterated u get the more ur gonna hate this wonderful sport that drives our lives. far as the skatepark.... i SUCK at street riding. i know exactly how you feel. i have since given up on the street thing. it all depends.... i never really had a urge to ride street. so it was easy to call it quits. if u WANT to ride street then thatis diff. DEF try stuff. i think u should call local shops and see if any other chic riders are in ur town. we have a awesome group of girls here in the N east dh'ing. i know a few of them and they are super cool people. hopefully someone will b able to hook u up w/ a chic to ride with from this thread. best of luck and make sure its fun. soon as its not fun, try something else. best of luck

edit* - go here too, www.hcor.net look up "Charlie" very cool chic

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Roasted said:
I am a guy and hate going to the skate park when it is busy. If the dj park has more than 5 riders on the mound I leave. I don't have time to wait out a line, or watch ignorant (but skilled) 14 year olds constantly weasle their way in line. I also don't get that need to show off, so riding in front of people does nothing for me.
WERD! not only the skate park....whether it's trails, tracks or parks - I hate riding when it's crowded!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i will haul ass on the downhill no matter what the group is like but i always wait at the bottom. most of the time they have to wait for me on the uphill anyway. i always like to stop at the real tech sections and help encourage new riders to ride through it instead of following the instinct to hop off and walk it. i enjoy watching new riders develope new skills also.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
eastcoastzigzag said:
edit* - go here too, www.hcor.net look up "Charlie" very cool chic
I met and had the opportunity to ride with Charlie at Diablo this fall and it was AWESOME!!! I learned so much from her in just a few runs and was actually showing some improvement. Definately a great rippin' chick who is always willing to share the knowledge and is very patient.

Also, if you are ever in the Upstate, NY area, let me know and I will take you out XCing. I have some beginner women from our club that I take out and am getting ready to start an intermediate/advanced women's group as well. I am sure you would have a good time with us and would learn some excellent technical skills and improve your confidence!

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
He is happy that I ride, but it is true he is more expeienced then me and I am trying to learn Imay never be as good as him but I am willing to try .

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
Well You Dont Have To Worry About It Now Because He Broke Up With Me And I Am Gonna Comtinue To Ride But I Wanna Meet New Ppl To Ride With So I Do No Have To Ride Alone But If It Comes Down To It I Will Ride Alone Because I Am Not Gonna Stop Riding Because I Like Riding

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Louder said:
Well You Dont Have To Worry About It Now Because He Broke Up With Me And I Am Gonna Comtinue To Ride But I Wanna Meet New Ppl To Ride With So I Do No Have To Ride Alone But If It Comes Down To It I Will Ride Alone Because I Am Not Gonna Stop Riding Because I Like Riding
ride on, girl.