Quantcast

what tool?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
What the heck IS it? Looks like a cross between a chainring nut (in which case you use a chainring nut wrench) and a shock eyelet bushing (in which case ya don't need a tool).

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by sub6
What the heck IS it? Looks like a cross between a chainring nut (in which case you use a chainring nut wrench) and a shock eyelet bushing (in which case ya don't need a tool).
Found here: (I'm going over the bike, and I can use a flat head screwdriver on it when I am loosening or tightening but there has to be something better)

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
looks like you can use the Shimano Dustcap Pin Tool, the tool used to tighten chainring bolts. But why not just use a large bladed screwdriver? As long as the bolt doesn't stick through the slot you're golden.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Yea, I figured I could use the large flat blade but I don't have one large enough plus these 'bolts' are all facing inside so I would have to use the screwdriver at a pretty big angle.......so I was hoping there was something better to use (instead of spending the $ on the screw driver)

and thanks for your ideas!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by swiss_less
I would say a chainring nut wrench. But then again, that might not be strong enough. If it's not, do what Matt D said and use a large bladed flathead screwdriver.
That's what the Shimano Dust Cap Pin Tool is, a "chainring nut wrench." I'm 99.9% sure that's what you need, it makes sense since you don't need to hold it on a severe angle like the screwdriver, AND the teeth should line up perfect. I think it's the cheapest tool Shimano makes, can't be more than $5. If you're a good LBS customer, they might just give you one.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by Matt D
That's what the Shimano Dust Cap Pin Tool is, a "chainring nut wrench." I'm 99.9% sure that's what you need, it makes sense since you don't need to hold it on a severe angle like the screwdriver, AND the teeth should line up perfect. I think it's the cheapest tool Shimano makes, can't be more than $5. If you're a good LBS customer, they might just give you one.

For 5 bucks, I'll definitely get one!

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=40300

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
I have the same bike and the shimano chain ring tool is the one to use. the Park equivalent CNW-1 didn.t work as well as Shimano. and you want one that fits real good and doesn't slip or they damage the nut slots making removal PITAs.When you get it out you can deepen the slots in the nut with a hacksaw a tad if need be. Buzz