Quantcast

What would you ride with on an SX trail?

What would you ride with on a SX trail for DH

• a double crown fork eg 170mm 888RC2x, boxxer ride

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • A single crown eg van, 66 rcsx

Votes: 63 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Vote don't make a big deal. State you opinion, and why you have made that decision and get out.

I don't want this to get out of hand with stupid remarks, im just looking for quick answers.

Thank you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A Boxxer Ride 'cause it's adjustable travel, cheap, strong, stiff, and it will be more confidence inspiring for DH riding.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
either then the turning radius why else. The real reason for this question is that I kinda and some of my friends want me to get a triple for the stability and to slacken and get the front end up. but others thinks it will look stupid, and i really don't want to look like an idiot, but they have no reasons why not either then it will look stupid and ruin the whole purpose of the bike. I tell them that i only use the bike for DH.

And before this gets into a warranty thing, let me state that the frame is fine ass long as it it no more then a double crown 175mm fork up front.

I am a little worried about the height of the bike, it is a little big for me as of now ( I am still growing) But i want to be able to ride it still. so how much will it really raise it. I am running a talas 36 on it now.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Are you absolutely sure that a DC fork wont void your warranty? And a 160-170mm SC ism ore than enough, Especially on that frame.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
No i wont void the warrenty and i ride with peopel that have slmost a sunday and a guy with a stap supreme with a 40 RC2 on it.
I am reall thinking about saying screw what others think my bike should have or what they will think of me puting a triple on a sx and just doing it. my main concern is will i regret it i don't do bar spins or anthing else just Dh with switch backs. My concern is the height of the bike.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The SX Trail isnt a downhill bike. Trying to make bikes into something they werent meant to be never works out. I sell specialized and I love the SX trail but it doesnt have the stiffness or the geo you want in a full on dh bike, especially not if you are a plower. Stick with a single crown and use the bike for what it was meant for. If you must put a dual crown on it the boxxer ride is probably the best choice since you can drop the front end with U-turn. Better yet, if you really are doing only DH, buy a DH bike. Quick answer, you have the wrong bike. Nice bike, but still wrong.

Dont tell me what to say and learn how to spell.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i saw one with a dorado a while ago, that looked sweet. that would be my first choise.
if you like what you have, keep it. i don't see any issue with a talas as long as you keeping away from core-nar. if you want to slacken it out a little and weight is an issue, go with the boxxer, that should look ok.
if weight isn't an issue, go for a 66 and keep your turning radius and sick looks. if you still can't make up your mind, you will not be happy till you try both.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
it seems to me that the 66 is plenty strong for downhill runs but like you said if your plowing through everything then you will want the confidence of a dual crown i wouldn't be worried about looks

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I would put a 36 on it for shure. I rode an sx trail with a 36 on it and it was awesome, rode really well and would be perfect for all sorts of riding.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Thank you im going with a dual crown, im going to try my friends super t this week on my bike. I know the Geo isn't perfect for DH, but it is plenty stiff, im not afraid of breaking it. i do kinda point down and go but im not hard on my stuff. Im not a gnar DHiller. The bike was meant for more of a freeride DH bike, that is a little on the pedal friendly side. this is perfect, it is fast and nimble and i like that about it. I would have bought a DH bike if i wanted to but i didn't. I like that the bike a lighter and i guess more flickable and that it can pedal exceptionally well.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I have a 36 talas and im thinking of a van, but if i get a van it is only 10mm more of travel so i might as well get a 66 170mm RC2X but then i run into the problem should i just go all the way and put a double crown on thier. I really have to try the triple first though

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
deffinatly a single crown plane and simple. dual crowns on a sx trail will void your warrenty. the reason your friends with the stab supreme and sunday's they are full fledged dh race bikes and there headtubes have been reinforced to compensate for extra stess on the head tube the sx trail has not. so if you dont care about voiding warrenties then go with the dc but if you dont want to buy a new frame yourself again then stick with sc, and besides you can get a single crown with as much travel as a dc now and not void your warrenty and still slacken out the head angle.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
trust me im looking right now at the sticker on top of the frame that sayes warrenty is void if thier is a fork of a double crown more then 175mm. so a super t at 170mm or a 888 at 170mm liek the one on the stinky primo would be fine and not void the warrenty.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay if you want to do it then be my guest but your head tube is still gonna be put under a lot of stress from overturning to make tight switchbacks and crashes. so if you are willing to risk your headtube be my guest, but remember man this isnt a dh bike that you have. like the incredible hulk said quite trying to make your bike something its not man. you cant just stick a dc on a bike and it magically increase your speed and performance. that is all done by the rider. you wont be able to ride any fast with a dc than you do now. the only advantage to a dc is the increased travel and impact absorbtion, and that alone can snap that headtube right off. i say get a sc so that your headtube not only last longer but so that you will still have tons of travel and you wont have to worry about dealing with specialized bitchy, slow, pain in the ass customer service. cause more than likley they will make you pay for some of a new frame. seen it happen numerous times

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
Been there done that (Boxxer on my SX Trail).

It really sucked. I went back to my SC fork as fast as I could and sold the Boxxer. :)

- turning radius
- plushness
- flexibility

Go for the 66RC2X or an Z1FR1 or something. But whats wrong with the Talas 36 anyway?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Put the 66 Light ETA on it, 170mm, and the ability to lock it down to about 1.5 of exposed stanchion for climbing. The RC2x is nice, about .1lbs lighter (almost nothing), but doesn't have this feature.

static9

Chimp
Jun 17, 2004
Santa Cruz, Ca
i'm definitely with the hulk on this one. if you wanna bomb dh, get a dh bike. a double crown will screw up the geo and the way the stress is put on the headtube.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
the Fox 36 is a sick fork, and works the BEST on the SX. That bike is NOT made for a double crown of any kind....the stress is just too much. It doenst matter what it says on it about the warranty...just because they say above 175mm doesnt mean it will work, it just means that thats the cut off for warranty. I will probably snap off if you do anything to big, or even if you just not smooth. Go with a 36..and if anything else, a 66. my 2 cents

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
SXtrailrider said:
<snip> i really don't want to look like an idiot <snip>
That was about half a year too late. Putting is DC fork on there would not only void your warranty, it would be completely dumb. As others have said, the bike wasn't made for the stress of a DC fork and will probably break sooner or later. A DC fork WILL screw up the the handling and kill the nimble feel of the bike.

Stop upgrading your bike. You are not at the level where the latest and greatest components will make you much faster (if at all). All you know how to do is plow. This is obviously the wrong bike for you.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
now im with jm_ on this one. that 66 eta light would be sick on the front end of that bike. it will not only performe awsome, and make that bike feel wicked, but it will teach you that plowing threw dh runs isnt always the best thing and is never a good idea for a non dh bike.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
cal // sweden said:
Been there done that (Boxxer on my SX Trail).

It really sucked. I went back to my SC fork as fast as I could and sold the Boxxer. :)

- turning radius
- plushness
- flexibility

Go for the 66RC2X or an Z1FR1 or something. But whats wrong with the Talas 36 anyway?
Their is nothing wrong with the fork i love it. It is just that the sx trail with that fork on it feels weird. The seat with the post all the way down is even or just as high as my handle bars. what i am trying to do is get the handle bars up higher or the back end down to give the bike a more DH feel and to get the center of gravity a little more back on the bike when im riding it. The majority of the time i go DH i feel like im going to fall over my handle bars. This is because the fork compresses which it should nd makes more me seat hight of the ground taller then that of the handlebars, so more of a road bike set up. I just fell i can't get the weight of myself and the bike back and balanced. I thought that maybe getting a DC or a bigger travel fork would help raise the front end and help the geo site me back more on the bike for DH.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
lol nobody understands it either fiddy_rider, but dude if you want a more slacked out head angle just put a long travel single crown and you wont void warrenty, get the geo your looking for, and you get more travel out of it. so its a win win situation.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
frznnomad said:
lol nobody understands it either fiddy_rider, but dude if you want a more slacked out head angle just put a long travel single crown and you wont void warrenty, get the geo your looking for, and you get more travel out of it. so its a win win situation.

Thanks to the poll result that is what i have decided. I bought the frame because it is a do everthing bike. This is the story, I got the 36 Talas because i wanted more travel on my old bike, frame a coiler D. this was a great buy, I then realized long after that i was in the market for a new frame with more travel and decided to buy a new frame around my recently bought fork of $1020 dollars. I felt i needed a bike with more travel, but wanted a frame that would not feel out of place with a 36 talas. I realize now that this was a mistake, buying a bike around a fork, but i have to live with it. I was told that the frame would be great geo for DH, so I bought it, and once building it up i could tell that the back end was to high. I tried to fix this with spaces to raise my handlebars, this helped but not completly. I have ridden this bike for awhile and now decided to fix this geo problem by buying a taller fork. I know this isn't a wise decition. I felt i had to buy this frame around the fork ( 36 Talas) not on my riding type because i recently recieved it as a gift and would have felt bad for selling it only months after recieving it. I ended up buying the sx trail frame instead of a DH frame because of this problem, and now i have decideing to sell the very thing that made me buy the sx trail instead of a DH frame, just to get the geo a DH feel for my SX.

So this is the story behing my stupid idea of getting a trail frame for only DH riding.

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
SXtrailrider said:
Their is nothing wrong with the fork i love it. It is just that the sx trail with that fork on it feels weird. The seat with the post all the way down is even or just as high as my handle bars. what i am trying to do is get the handle bars up higher or the back end down to give the bike a more DH feel and to get the center of gravity a little more back on the bike when im riding it.
Ok ok. I get your point.

What size is your SX Trail?

It sounds like the Marzocchi 66 is the right fork for you. Either you go with the 66RC2X, probably the 170mm version. Or you go with the 66RC 2005 150mm. Those two forks has ~the same AC distance.

You can also put a few spacers under your stem if there is enough "steerer tube" left on your fork to raise the front end a little bit.

I use ~2cm of spacers on my medium SX Trail all the time. Otherwise the front end gets too low.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah i have a medium and i have a lot i raisers under my stem so it looks like a 170mm 66 will be my answer, for my stupid mistake.

u.k for life

Chimp
Mar 6, 2006
SXtrailrider said:
Thanks to the poll result that is what i have decided. I bought the frame because it is a do everthing bike. This is the story, I got the 36 Talas because i wanted more travel on my old bike, frame a coiler D. this was a great buy, I then realized long after that i was in the market for a new frame with more travel and decided to buy a new frame around my recently bought fork of $1020 dollars. I felt i needed a bike with more travel, but wanted a frame that would not feel out of place with a 36 talas. I realize now that this was a mistake, buying a bike around a fork, but i have to live with it. I was told that the frame would be great geo for DH, so I bought it, and once building it up i could tell that the back end was to high. I tried to fix this with spaces to raise my handlebars, this helped but not completly. I have ridden this bike for awhile and now decided to fix this geo problem by buying a taller fork. I know this isn't a wise decition. I felt i had to buy this frame around the fork ( 36 Talas) not on my riding type because i recently recieved it as a gift and would have felt bad for selling it only months after recieving it. I ended up buying the sx trail frame instead of a DH frame because of this problem, and now i have decideing to sell the very thing that made me buy the sx trail instead of a DH frame, just to get the geo a DH feel for my SX.

So this is the story behing my stupid idea of getting a trail frame for only DH riding.

Thomas, its ok to breathe...........

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
lol okay man sounds good. thats why when it comes to bike stuff and its gonna be a gift i make sure that i do the buying cause well unless you ride and even if you do ride. you have no freaking idea what a person wants. lol so hopefully the 66 helps out.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A dual crown WON'T void the warranty, I've read the manual for an SX Trail. Jesus Christ, people have to learn how to read.

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
No, but everything over 150mm travel voids the warranty on the 2005 SX Trail.

I havent read the 2006 manual but I guess that it says the same but with 170mm instead of 150mm, right?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think you should get a 66. Maybe you should get a slightly shorter shock. A few people on here, put shorter shocks on bullits to lower the bb and slacken the head angle. They said it felt like a mini Dh bike. Maybe you should do that. Don't worry about loosing an inch or half an inch. For a while, Fabien Barrel raced with 6" in the back to keep it low. People do big hucks on hardtails or low travel bikes. This may be a good idea for you.