Quantcast

What's a good whiskey?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Some of my favorites for sipping include: Basil Hayden, Bookers, Eagle Rare, Makers Mark and Jim Beam. All of them are pretty smooth even neat and if it's too much you could always add a touch of water or an ice cube.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
i'm not sure bout bad dna, he used some crazy word i'll try to copy and paste it - ice

wikipedia doesnt have an entry yet.
Some of my favorites for sipping include: Basil Hayden, Bookers, Eagle Rare, Makers Mark and Jim Beam. All of them are pretty smooth neat and if you're a pussy you could always add a touch of water or an ice cube.

That's what I meant to say...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
jim beam black (cheap but not assy like white label), maker's mark (good, expensive), balvenie double barrel (aged in sherry then old bourbon, smoother than most scotches) are my favorites.

Rebel yell is good if you feel like cussin'.

Seagram's Seven is choice if you don't intend to wake up in the same spot (or state) you fell asleep in.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
So I heard that adding a touch of water to whiskey helps to bring out even more flavor. It was actually on discovery channel about whiskey manufacturing. Anyone heard of this before?
It's not so much that it brings out anything from the whisky, but it keeps the whisky from dulling your senses:

Adding Water
Adding water to even regular strength whisky before drinking will help to stop the strength of the whisky anaesthetising your senses and reducing the taste you will enjoy. Add a little water at a time to get the right dilution. Expert tasters recommend diluting most whisky with a fifth water or more, although this can be too much for old whiskies. Individual tastes will vary, so experiment with what you prefer – some whiskies will be best without any water.

The water you use to add to the whisky is not too important, with a few exceptions. Make sure that the water is still rather than carbonated and not chilled (cooling the whisky prevents the release of flavour). It is ideal for the whisky to be at room temperature. Try to avoid chlorinated tap water if it tastes too much of chemicals - in this case still mineral or even distilled water might be a better option.
Drinking Whisky

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A bottle of Jack Daniels, a surly look on my face....there's trouble on the horizon ;)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
If you're ok with scotch, Glenn Livet or Glenn Fiddich is real smooth. Whiskey or Scotch, always go with a single malt/barrel with a min of 12yrs of aging.

There are a bunch of local distilleries around. You might wanna go to your local cigar shop and inquire (or check the phone book). The best single malt 12yr whiskey I've ever had was from a small distillery just outside of Oklahoma City. They only produced 1500 bottles a year.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Too much of a sissy for sippin' whiskey? come on now.

I suggest gentleman jack. in a close second is jim beam. mmmmmmm whiskey.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Jim Beam's only good for 2 things, gettin rid of strep throat and stripping paint. If you're going to get something off the shelf at the local grocery store, crown, makers, or gentleman jack. But stoli and grape cytomax?! hahahaha

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's not so much that it brings out anything from the whisky, but it keeps the whisky from dulling your senses:
A bit of both it seems:
Whisky at proof strength anaesthetises the nose and sears the tongue, rendering you incapable of evaluating the sample. Almost all whiskies benefit from the addition of water which, with most whiskies, 'opens up' the spirit by breaking down the ester chains and freeing the volatile aromatics.

Very occasionally, one encounters a whisky whose virtues are better displayed neat. Outside the tasting room, many people prefer to drink their after-dinner malts straight - with sound medical justification. In these cases your own saliva acts as the dilutant, and they should be sipped in very small amounts. Blenders nose at 20% ABV, but this can drown some whiskies which tend to 'break up' with too much water.
www.scotchwhisky.com

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have good stuff at home, but take whatever for hiking. Beam, Dickle, Makers if I have some extra $$$, Evan Williams, Wild Turkey...

How good does whiskey have to be to go along with a dinner of Lipton noodles, Ramen, freeze dried beef stroganoff or whatever crap you're cooking on the trail?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I picked up a bottle of Gentleman Jack for sampling. Much much smoother than the crappy wellers i've been sampling. Now i'm having second thoughts but i think i might stick with the vodka and cytomax.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
ya thoes are pretty mountains, do a big huck off that dang cliff! man i had to go back and fix so many dang spelling errors before i posted this reply. hahah is norco freerider drunk becuause they said "drunken post" is anybody else drunk at the moment?