Quantcast

what's coming from rock shox...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
y'all did see the crude photoshop at the crowns, right?

It is cool to see RS release a product that people actually want and satisfies a need though. That's interesting for them.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On one hand, I'm completely baffled why anyone would entertain the idea of a 120mm travel inverted xc fork. On the other hand I realise that neither I, not anyone likely reading the dh forum are the target market for this thing, so who cares?

Got to see a bluto a few weeks ago. Think basic damper in a revelation chassis with wide crowns. Again, not really my thing but I'd imagine guys riding these things in cold weather are going to complain about the damping gumming up...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd imagine guys riding these things in cold weather are going to complain about the damping gumming up...
that was my thinking. I generally avoid riding my bike when it's colder than 14°F because I don't want to jeopordize my seals in my suspension, and i am concerned that the cold will do things to suspension oil that valves and shims probably don't like. I'm toying with the idea of acquiring a fat bike to complement my skiing pursuits (days when it'll be good to fat bike = days when it'll be good to skate ski, and for all the ribbing fat bikers get for their "lifestyle choice", I think skate skiing is worse!) I wouldn't want a fat bike that I can't take out when it's cold out. seems silly to me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
On one hand, I'm completely baffled why anyone would entertain the idea of a 120mm travel inverted xc fork. On the other hand I realise that neither I, not anyone likely reading the dh forum are the target market for this thing, so who cares?

Got to see a bluto a few weeks ago. Think basic damper in a revelation chassis with wide crowns. Again, not really my thing but I'd imagine guys riding these things in cold weather are going to complain about the damping gumming up...
I recently read a story about a professional XC racer who basically took out all suspension functionality components in order to basically run a "rigid" sponsors fork....so yeah, I'm not sure how concerned pro XC racers are with initial suspension suppleness.

as for the blutus, do you think the moco damper will be worse or better in the cold? I'd imagine better than a rubber sealed charger, but perhaps not as good as an IFP fork.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I have ridden in the cold with a Sektor that has MoCo damper. It doesn't do anything weird other than the damping is a bit slower, or should I say higher, in both directions.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
how cold is cold? I would happily ride down to -13°F. after that it's a bit much. would the fluid freeze and seals contract at that temp?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
how cold is cold? I would happily ride down to -13°F. after that it's a bit much. would the fluid freeze and seals contract at that temp?
i thought you guys used metric?

also, that's colder than i'll ride. thankfully it rarely (effectively never) gets that cold here.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd think the oil would just get moar viscous and damping would suffer and things would get sticky...

BUT as things get moving you might warm up the oil and damping would change. Certainly could be a challenge to maintain good performance. I have no idea how quickly oil would heat up to useable temp. My lefty seemed to do fine in a 15 degree setting, a little sticky at first perhaps.

speaking of, anybody see this yet?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i thought you guys used metric?
we do. I have a handy dandy convertor calculator sitting next to my computer... makes these metric to imperial conversions quick and accurate!

I'd think the oil would just get moar viscous and damping would suffer and things would get sticky...

BUT as things get moving you might warm up the oil and damping would change. Certainly could be a challenge to maintain good performance. I have no idea how quickly oil would heat up to useable temp. My lefty seemed to do fine in a 15 degree setting, a little sticky at first perhaps.
At temps below 15°, I get worried about the oil fully freezing, and then you couldn't get enough movement to generate heat. I may be making all this up, but I'd rather not find out about these sorts of things at my own expense! (as I did with cold and suspension seals)

good God. what an awful thing to do to a DW designed bike.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Bandwagon engaged.

In 18mo fatbikes from every conceivable brand will be littering the closeout row at bike shops across the country.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

I see a LOT of trashed, drilled out rims in the future.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
At a certain point, when its cold enough, performance goes out the window due to the bike/conditions/rider all sucking, and the novelty/goatshow aspect must take over for a ride to be fun. Hence: fatbikes.

Last edited: