Quantcast

what's everyone riding?

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I'm on an Enduro which has been super fun for riding trails and coming down Capitol forest but I experienced Seatac the other day and was hooked on the drops. The smaller ones were no prob but I'd rather not destroy my bike out there getting too confident on something that the bikes not designed for.

Anyhow, 2005 will bring a new bike into my hands and I wanna see what everyone in my neck of the woods is riding. I want something that's gonna handle Seatac and Whistler with no problem but if at all possible still be able to peddle around on flatland woods trails and some mild uphill here and there.

So far I think the 05 Bighit is calling my name, but the new Ironhorse 7points look to be promising, and I've been pointed to the Bullit. I'm aimint to low to mid $2000 range

soooooooooo.... who rides what and where?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Dh bike= Turner DHR
Trail bike = Turner 5-spot.

The IH 7p series looks promising. The Bighit is a strong and proven design, bullits are good too. Did i help? Probably not....... :) you already knew all that im sure..... haha

Mid $2000 for a complete i assume? That wont be too bad. You should find plenty of good bikes there...

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
DH Bike = Lenzsport Pro Descender
Trail Bike = KHS Rigid One
XC Bike = Old School Spec. GC AIM
Road Bike = Giant OCR1

KHS is getting replaced in Oct/Nov

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
If I could ride (ankle on the mend for a couple more weeks) :(

DH = Big Hit DH
XC/Trail = Cannondale Jekyll (XC bikes are dangerous :rolleyes: )
BMX stuff = Old Skyway freestyle bike (she's hot pink but hasn't had any action in a long time.... :think: )

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
You really need to take a look at Cannondales Gemini line. These are some of the best all around bikes out there! You could ride SST, drop and jump anything, then go to Whistler or any DH venue and kill it! I have taken mine on trail rides several times and the bike pedals amazing! I have rode several bikes and this one is by far the best all around bike out there! :thumb: Just my two cents.

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
I ride and love my Bullit, this is the end of the second season on it, and I plan to ride it yet again next year. It's a bit heavy now for trail riding,(46lbs.) but that's due to a steady diet of freeride/dh oriented upgrades, built light, Bullits can weigh in the low to mid thirties. You'll find that one built for all around riding will probably hit the scales around 40. Geminis can be had which will do much the same that will weigh a few pounds less. That's what my GF rides, and it's a dope bike too, as Holliswood says. :)

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Stinky Primo with a Monster-T,a mish mash of random parts and a Dewlie to make it go up hill.Works great and takes a beating :)

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
My rides

DH= Marin Wildcat (not stock)
Freeride= Bullit
Trail= Brodie Diablo

I love my bullit and can pedal up tiger, exit 27, pallisades, and trail riding out at VF. Mine is set up around 37lbs and you get used to the weight if you ride enough. Good all around bike, I'd say. I demo'd a gemini dh at whistler and was impressed with the handling on all the trials, although at the end of the day it was making some clicking noises. Must have been the clown shoes drop.

moondog

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Ballard, WA
I've got an '03 Enduro (was an '02 before the frame broke and was warrantied) and it's a great bike. For what it is, it's done pretty well at Whistler. I actually brought it up there a week ago during the 24 hours of adrenaline for my non-DH friends to play around on and they had a blast. Earlier this summer I decided that it was time for a bigger bike so I bought a Transition DirtBag. MUCH BETTER!! I love that bike. It loves Whistler and the exits.

Things to consider...
1. Great bike.
2. Great price.
3. Great Seattle company.
4. Great customer service.
5. Did I mention great bike and price?

Check my signature for pictures or go to www.transitionbikes.com.

In the $2500 range you can get Romic rear, Super T, lots of other stuff.

Check it out!

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
keep it simple...........

dh- specialized p3
freeride- specialized p3
road- specialized p3
trail- specialized p3

who cares what we ride, just do it and have fun!!

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
i ride a 03 giant AC1 set up with a super T and DH components and its a great bike for sst and is still fun to ride on trials and street stuff. its great.

hope to see you on the trials. oo one last(warning spam) thing the AC1 frame is for sale PM or email if interested.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
XC = Turner Burner
Trail = 5 Spot
DH = Bullit

I can't say enough good things about Turner. They build a high quality frame and their customer service is like no other :thumb:

Like Oly said, you should also look at IH 2005 line up...the Sunday frame they have coming out looks mighty nice.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
This is my steed. It is the knaliest of the knar and can do everything.

Knarly XC = Huffy 10000 freeride jibster hucker
Knarly urban freestyle = Huffy 10000 freeride jibster hucker
Knarly tour de france = Huffy 10000 freeride jibster hucker
Xtreme dh = Huffy 10000 freeride jibster hucker

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
I'm just kidding. Sacrifice were you up a SST on Sat, because I talked to some guys that were riding enduros and looked like they were just learning to huck. One of the guys ate it and had scratchs all over his face. They looked like they were having a blast.

I have two bikes so I can have the best of both worlds.

Trail/XC = 2002 AC Air
DH/hucks = 2003 bighit with slider +

My bighit pedals OK, but it is not the most efficient DH/Freeride frame out there. Have fun with whatever you choose!

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
igots da azonic eliminator and a lil red 12.5" bmx with yellow mags and pink tires!!
and a blue fuji frame + old ass components(old frametoo)=road bike

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Langer said:
I'm just kidding. Sacrifice were you up a SST on Sat, because I talked to some guys that were riding enduros and looked like they were just learning to huck. One of the guys ate it and had scratchs all over his face. They looked like they were having a blast.
naa, I've only been there once, that was a week or two back, some dude was ripping on a bighit and his buddy had that sexy ass Orange VP Free, nice guys. I'm usually riding with my buddy who has a 03 AC1

Jun 18, 2004
Banshee sceam/888= dh/freeride/trails/urban
GSR Hooligan= urban/when I'm not on my Banshee
Kowan Single speed= If I ever put the parts together (too late in the season to sell them on eBay)...

bizirka

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
Dh bike = V-10 with a white bros 2.0 dh fork
trail bike = schwinn rocket 88
XC race bike = Trek STP 400
road bike = Fuji professional -dura ace

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
holliswood said:
You really need to take a look at Cannondales Gemini line. These are some of the best all around bikes out there! You could ride SST, drop and jump anything, then go to Whistler or any DH venue and kill it! I have taken mine on trail rides several times and the bike pedals amazing! I have rode several bikes and this one is by far the best all around bike out there! :thumb: Just my two cents.

I'm with Kim...

• Cannondale Gemini 1000 :: DH, freeride, trails, etc (I use it for everything from Capital Forest to Whistler and everything in between)
  • Fit Foster :: street, park

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
dh/fr- yeti dh9
xc- k2 zed 5.0
bmx- eastern Jane

The dirtbag is a good choice, dropnzone.com sells them and can get the bike too cost much less if you don't mind some used components or you can get all new.

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
After riding about a bazillion different bikes, I've been stuck on this new Rotec Moto-DH. The thing is sick. Sick sick sick. The standover is perfect low; I'm 5' 6" and I rock a size large front triangle. Perfect race bike, IMHO.

Anyways, I've got a bmx bike, a road bike, a Kona Cowan and an Ironhorse SGS. If I had to start all over again, I'd ride the hardtail first (or the BMX if you can) - and get used to riding smooth over rough ****e. Then switch later to a dually - an AS-X or a Bullit if you're into FR, or a Rotec or DHR if you're gonna get down with the DH race crowd.

Seriously though, I'd rock a hardtail first! It'll make you better, smoother, and uh did I say... better!

Erin

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
2004 Santa Cruz VP Free :heart:

It only weighs about 2 lbs more than my old Bullit (38lbs), but feels damn beefy, so I'm able to use it for all types of riding. I love it!!

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
street/dirt jumping--03 specialiezed p2
dh/fr--04 diamondback xts moto

both are nice and have had no serious problems (knock on wood)
but you have to take into consideration that i live in the desert, not the real PNW

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I ride a 2004 Specialized Bighit with a shiver and a 3 way.....great for EVERYTHING at sea tac...not so great for XC, but i do ride street with it. awesome bike....little heavy(around 50 with my setup!)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Watch as I make mserko cry

DH=oversprung stinky 9 with an oversprung shiver GIVE ME SPRINGS!!!
XC=k2 nonamebike with rideably nice components. ****ty frame though
road/park/urban= '99 lib tech on destructos
... see, a skateboard can replace three bikes at none of the price!

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
DH & FR - Knolly V-tach
Lt FR & Trail - Evil Imperial SL

The VP-Free is probably the best 1-bike if you want something that can do it all reasonably well.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
What I ride:

Trail/XC: Giant hardtail
Road: Specialized Allez
Commuter: 20 year old road bike

My new bike is a soul cycles titan with a Z 150 up front :thumb:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
For the dirt...

...it's a '00 DBR X6, so you'll likely only find these used. Good all-arounder for sure.
I have a Raleigh International (Durace/Ultegra) road bike for 'recovery' rides and grocery runs.

Those Gemini's do look pretty sweet - and obviously those that ride them love them.

Make sure you get something that feels right, or else you'll be saying...

:)