Quantcast

What's Kirkwood Like?

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Last Fall I talked to a marketing guy at a snow/ski demo, he told me that KW was planning on making a really sick park this year. Has anyone heard about this? He said they saved a ton of downed trees to make stunts and what not. They are opening the same weekend as Northstar.

Brian B.

Chimp
Apr 17, 2007
I went there last year and I didn't like it very much. None of the trails I would ride if it wasn't for the chairlifts. The trails where I live in the bay area are better but they don't have a chairlift to get you to the top. The trails there were super gravely and lots of small rocks. It just wasn't fun. There were no jumps or anything that I came across just a log or two to ride on. Maybe I missed a bunch of cool stuff or something but I have no plans on going back.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just go to northstar. Its going to have a irrigated main trail with jumps and stunts. Plus it has a ton of other pretty fun and challenging trails.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
N* is the place for sure , but I'm all for Kirkwood opening up a park too the more spots to ride the better .... Oh and KirkWood has a really kick ass old bar right acrross the street from the main turnoff .

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
If Kirkwood built a MTB park well, it would be sick. Kirkwood has such a better mountain to work with.

Anyway though.

See you all at N*.

Ps- they just got the shocks in for the SWD frames so my bike will be here soon.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
If Kirkwood built a MTB park well, it would be sick. Kirkwood has such a better mountain to work with.
i don't really agree w/ you on that. i live playing in the snow at kirkwood because it's super duper steep and wide open. that really doesn't make for a great bike park.

edit: what i mean is that slopes that i tend to like to ride down in the winter are steeper than i would like to send my bike down. n* is called flatstar for a reason.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, a straightaway shoot is not the most exciting ride, but any competition to the N* monopoly is welcome....

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Yeah, a straightaway shoot is not the most exciting ride, but any competition to the N* monopoly is welcome....
kirkwood just doesn't seem to have the terrain for it.

a flatter more forested mtn like heavenly would be pretty fun... but that'd never ever get approved. i doubt any mountain that is actually in the basin would get approval to build a mtn bike park.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kirkwood just doesn't seem to have the terrain for it.

a flatter more forested mtn like heavenly would be pretty fun... but that'd never ever get approved. i doubt any mountain that is actually in the basin would get approval to build a mtn bike park.
I have to take your word for it. I am still waiting on Monte Wolfe for you and Mr. Amy.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Yeah I agree with you on second thought. I guess a good mountain in the winter definitely doesn't mean a good one in the summer.

jroymcd

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
I rode kirkwood a few years ago. it was mostly fire-road and very easy singletack. no jumps, drop off's or anything technical. We asked the chair lift guy why it sucked so bad and he said because of insurance issues.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
What about Donner ski Ranch ??

Kris ( DukesofTahoe ) and I were discussing this this past weekend , Donner used to have MTB races and there MTN has some pretty fun terrain for bikes , there also small and family run !
We need to talk them into opening up the DH and DS runs again !!