Quantcast

What's needed to convert a XT hub to bolt on?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
On my jump bike I'd like to have the XT hub be bolt on and not quick release. Just wondering what do I need to do it AND where can I get the parts from? I know it's a threaded axle but what else is needed?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Go to your local shop, they should have the parts laying around.

If they have an axle which matches the thread of your current one you'll just need that and two nuts. All the other hardware will transfer over. Otherwise you'll need cone nuts too.

huh huh huh.....nuts

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm pretty sure the XT stuff is threaded 10x1. QR axles are in the neighborhood of 146mm long, so something like the Wheels Manufacturing axle #20 (10x1x180mm) would probably do the trick.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
BikeGeek said:
I'm pretty sure the XT stuff is threaded 10x1. QR axles are in the neighborhood of 146mm long, so something like the Wheels Manufacturing axle #20 (10x1x180mm) would probably do the trick.
So I could get the axle and use my exsisting parts from the XT hub to make it all work? That'd be sweet!

Thanks for the info on this one, helps a lot!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Spunger said:
So I could get the axle and use my exsisting parts from the XT hub to make it all work? That'd be sweet!

Thanks for the info on this one, helps a lot!
Yeah, it should be an easy swap. You just need to make sure you get the right axle. Like I said I'm pretty sure it's 10x1, but have a shop check it. Or, if you're a DIY guy, grab a 10x1 threaded nut at the hardware store and see if it threads on to you QR axle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did this to my xt disc rear hub, and it worked out pretty well. Finding a matching thread (10mm x 26tpi - i'm pretty sure thats the threading) wasn't too hard, just make sure you get one long enough. This way, you can swap over all your cones and cone locks. However, It had a hard time finding (in my shop at least) a set of axle nuts that matched this threading, so in the end i ended up taking a pair that are for a 3/8" axle and tapping them to 10mmx26tpi. I made two extra sets of axle nuts, but to date have not needed them (I made this swap July of '05 and I'm still riding it - I've been using this wheel for trials recently as well)

edit: a well equipped local bike shop should have the axle you need, as well as the proper tapping tools for the axle nuts

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It is 10x1 and we most likely have the bolt-on axles in stock Chris. Look to spend about $10 for parts or $20-25 installed with a hub rebuild.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm not sure about the thread count and how it correlates to TPI, maybe it has one thread per mm or about 25-26tpi?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thinking back, i'm pretty sure i actually used a 26tpi tap for the axle nuts. i definitely remember thinking how odd it was that an axle with metric threading had standard/english threading. :think:

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
punkassean said:
It is 10x1 and we most likely have the bolt-on axles in stock Chris. Look to spend about $10 for parts or $20-25 installed with a hub rebuild.
Never saw this but good to know! It's really on $10 or so for parts.......hmmmm more tempting :)