Quantcast

What's out there?

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
So I'm looking to get a 29er for mostly commuting and some trail riding, and I was wondering what options there are for complete 29ers? I know of Redline and Raleigh, and the new RL D460 looks sweet, but what else is out there? I might look at getting just a frame as well because I have a lot of parts sitting around the garage, but I'd prefer to buy something complete. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks, Jaffro

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Holy Cow - the world is your oyster now in terms of 29er options!

What's your budget?

Oh and if you want to do commuting and hit the trails with one bike - I'd have a look see at a Surly Karate Monkey frame and fork combo and build that up from there. Maybe with some 170mm cranks if you aren't a super tall guy - they'd be fine for commuting and will prevent pedal strikes on the trails (if you've got rocky terrain that is).

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
The lower the better in terms of price. I'm not looking for a blinged out bike, something simple like the D460 seems perfect, I just want to see what else is available

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Is the D460 the geared version of Redline's basic Monocog? If so, that probably is good value. Another good value is the new Specialized Rockhopper.

You also might be able to put together a nice package around a Haro Mary frame and fork over at www.greenfishsports.com

Cheers,

Mark

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
The KHS Tucson and that complete Voodoo from JensonUSA.com are a couple more options for a complete bike. Have fun!
- Joe

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm gonna get a D460 when they come out soon here.

On a side note, if I had the cash I would get a Ventana Comandante for sure.... that's a hot bike.