Quantcast

Whats the best Dirt Jumper out of the box.

Johnny Wadd

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Brooklyn
Whats the best complete Dirt Jumping bike outta the box?
Out of the box I mean complete bike you can pick up a t a shop.

Like a Kona, Norco, Specialized, or Cannondale, and what ever else is there.

Hardtail and full sus,.

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
While I went the route of starting with the '04 P.2 frame and adding my own parts...

P.3 is ready to jump and isn't likely to break (key).

DJ spec highlights:
Fork - DJ (the '04 has the strong/heavy chromoly stanchions)
Wheels - 36 spoke w/Sun DblTrack rims
Brakes - Hayes hydraulic
Truvative FR/DH cranks
Chromoloy headset

DJ lowlight:
front derail. not a chainguide

--Been
jumping, hucking, generally riding around being a nuisance

Sep 17, 2003
save some money man and just get the p-1, then you have a base bike to build from...I bought an 03 p-2 and a year later, the only thing left stock is seat and seat post.
if i had gone p-1 i would have saved some $$ but hey, its only money right?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
p1 thats what i ride and now im a badass because of it.:D
seriously though it is a great out of the box bike. like crashed and been said just buy it and change what you wanna change. other than re-routing the cables and adding a front avid mech. i have done nothing to mine. still running the original tires as well

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
i would say the Norco 5-hun it very very nice i wound know how to make it better and you can do any thing you want on it.

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
Depends on how much money your willing to spend. the p1/p2's are great and so are most the norcos, but if your willing to build up the best hard tail ever, ide go for the 24 bicyles Letoy.:D

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
i suggest you look at Unreal CYcles.

he can set you up with a complete bike speced way waayyy nicer than any OEM specs.

Ben (at unreal) has parts packages and you are bound to get a deal. for example, you could get an On-One Gimp, with a Dirt JUmp parts package. that's a much nicer ride than any aluminum run-of-the-mill frame that any of the companies you mentioned will hook you up with.

not trying to start a fight. just makign the point that small compainies can be affordable, too. Thay also ten to crank out nicer/cooler bikes.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
for example:

(frames)

hot deal:
Identiti - 666 ($285)

not cheap, but still good deals:
On-One - Gimp ($350)
PX - pitbull ($375)

Slightly more expensive:
.243 - ($410)

form there it goes up in cost. just tack on the cost of a parts package

for exaple, here is a bike he has already put together. it's 1100 bucks. a sweet ride, too. look at the specials page.
http://unrealcycles.com/uc-gallery-21.htm

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
Is there such thing as a good complete bike from the factory?

I just bought a used complete bike, then striped the parts sold them on ebay and bought parts to my liking.

Sep 17, 2003
Originally posted by crashedupderby
save some money man and just get the p-1, then you have a base bike to build from...I bought an 03 p-2 and a year later, the only thing left stock is seat and seat post.
if i had gone p-1 i would have saved some $$ but hey, its only money right?
i sold the p-2 and am now riding a bmx bike.....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i went with a kona roast. the stock bike can handle whatever you throw at it. i was impressed with the parts on the bike too. i've had it for 7 months and its still taking whatever i throw at it.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
go with the P1 and keep it single speed and just put like a Dj 1,2 or 3, it feels so nice. And put a bash guard on it if you plane to do a lil urban but I know you said DJing, but it doesnot matter, whatever floats ur boat in this situation. P1's are mighty small, i am 5'10" and I cant spin my bars because it hits my foot so be carful if you are tall