Quantcast

What's the biggest drop/jump ever?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
What's the biggest one you've ever seen? I saw a huge one in decline. And the new Dakine ad has Berrecloth doing what looks like a 50 footer.

Also, do '02 shivers have one or two coils in each leg?
Does anyone have a 550x2.8 spring? for a vanilla rc? :help:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
i dropped the white cliffs of Dover in England to FLAT (floating barge) which was about 500 ft. I think that's the record.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Who cares :)

Yea

No

.... the real question is are you boys still catching the AM boat on sunday? I have to be back to performace by 9:00 to meet everyone else......

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Roasted said:
Attempted, the jah drop is 54 ft. And failed every time unfortunately.

Yep.....He will never land that.......but the drop i speak of was in deer valley or somthing like that, I think.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
What happened to that guy who was gunna huck 90 ft this summer? did he back out, or get off drugs and realize what he was doing?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
mack said:
HAHA, benders bike goes under the "UGLY CATERGORY"

that pic is from IB '01, can you say...outdated?

Like him or don't Bender was doing things back then people never thought possible. Not to mention he's a super nice guy who just loves to ride.

Not saying you were knockin' him but...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was skiing in Kirkwood when Paul Ruff did something around 200 feet. Sucks that he ripped an artery off of his heart though and died a few minutes later.....

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
not on a mtb but still ontopic

"Bicycle Jumping World Records

This is for the longest jump on a bicycle.

Ramp to ramp, total jump distance: Colin Winkelmann, 116 feet, 11 inches over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle, Paramount Ranch, CA, around March 2001.

Ramp to ramp, ramp gap: Colin Winkelmann, 85 feet over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle, Paramount Ranch, CA, around March 2001.

Ramp to ramp, clear gap: Colin Winkelmann, 79 feet over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle, Paramount Ranch, CA, around March 2001."

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
you know it was going to be a BMX'er ;)...personally I think if you have to be towed in then it doesn't count....D

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yeah... BMXer's make mountain bikers look like fools, but I have personally rode a BMX and it is just a bad experience.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Is it me, or was the big drop thing kind of a phase? Now everyone is into race footage, and stuff they could conceivably do. I mean, yeah, there is still big drop footage out there, but not as much.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
BMXman said:
personally I think if you have to be towed in then it doesn't count....D
Why? Nobody is gonna pedal themselves on flat ground, up to a speed where they can jump a hundred feet. Therefore you would deduce they're using a hill/roll-in to get that kind of speed - what's the difference between rolling down a nearly-vert ramp and getting towed in? Either way you're not using your own power to do it. At that point it's all about balls, IMO, not how fast you can pedal. Really, who cares how they got the speed... fall out of a helicopter into a quarterpipe for all I care.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I jumped 90' a couple years ago. It was at the Washougal MX Track. I started at the edge of the upper downhill with my bike in top gear, within a couple pedal strokes I was spun out. It was after a weekend of races so the ground was very hard packed and fast. On the way toward the big ski jump there is a nice kicker that I had to soak up, but still got 50' before landing and heading toward the final jump. It's slightly uphill at the take-off, then drops a few feet, followed by a long transition that flattens out to a sharp left hander. I ended up landing in the braking bumps caused by the motocross bikes setting up for the corner.
I need to do it again and get video and pictures. Maybe side-by-side with my two brothers on their CR250's, although they wouldn't make the corner if they jumped that far.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I dropped from 29,000 feet to 10,000 in an emergency decent (from rapid depressurization) a few weekends ago in a 737 to get my high altitude endorsement.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Was'nt that Wade Simmons drop/road gap over the marzocchi truck like 80ft or so?
i dropped the white cliffs of Dover in England to FLAT (floating barge) which was about 500 ft. I think that's the record.
Hey DBR got any footage of that?Let me quess. You clipped the camera man on your landing and he dropped the camera in the water. right?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
thaflyinfatman said:
Why? Nobody is gonna pedal themselves on flat ground, up to a speed where they can jump a hundred feet. Therefore you would deduce they're using a hill/roll-in to get that kind of speed - what's the difference between rolling down a nearly-vert ramp and getting towed in? Either way you're not using your own power to do it. At that point it's all about balls, IMO, not how fast you can pedal. Really, who cares how they got the speed... fall out of a helicopter into a quarterpipe for all I care.
take it easy turbo...notice that I said "personally I think"...it's just my opnion no need to get bent out of shape about it. I just think that if you start using motorized vehicles to get up to speed than maybe should should be on a motorized vehicle. The land speed record for a bike is insanely high because the guy was being towed. I would be more impressed by someone who had the skills/fitness to accomplish the feat on their own...again it's just my opnion...D

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
OK. OK .I just dug out the pic. Looks more like 40-45ish .My Bad.Still looks huge to me.
Anything over 10ft to a trany and I'm out.
I'd still like to know just how far that was.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
E.C. said:
OK. OK .I just dug out the pic. Looks more like 40-45ish .My Bad.Still looks huge to me.
Anything over 10ft to a trany and I'm out.
I'd still like to know just how far that was.
It is about 40-45 max and probably about 20' out, my buddy went down there and hit that same gap. What makes it hard is that the landing is at an angle to the take-off. And the landing is rutted out really bad.

What about the drop Bearclaw did in Kranked 5 out in Utah? The one where he lost the bars and actually still pulled it off. They drew a line on the screen to show his total drop, that was pretty damn big.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Really he had to do something to to get people to stop focusing on his last name of Winkelmann.
CTR said:
not on a mtb but still ontopic

"Bicycle Jumping World Records

This is for the longest jump on a bicycle.

Ramp to ramp, total jump distance: Colin Winkelmann, 116 feet, 11 inches over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle, Paramount Ranch, CA, around March 2001.

Ramp to ramp, ramp gap: Colin Winkelmann, 85 feet over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle, Paramount Ranch, CA, around March 2001.

Ramp to ramp, clear gap: Colin Winkelmann, 79 feet over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle, Paramount Ranch, CA, around March 2001."