Quantcast

what's the crappiest cd you've bought lately?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not exactly the crappiest, but the Isis cd i got (panoptic, or something like that) was a severe disappointmnet coming on the heels of the Red Sparowes cd. i think it's mainly the guy's voice. i'm not a fan of the drano-gargle/metal voice.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I just ordered a CD by the former front man of Soul Coughing. Should be at my house today.

At which point I'll let everybody know. I don't buy many CD's anymore.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
John Frushante's solo album! HANDS DOWN!

He's the guitar player for the Chili Peppers, so you would think it would be good.
Apparently he does a lot of drugs. I can't believe the record company released it.

I LOVE putting it in while driving in my car and watching for peoples reactions.

Seriously, the absolute worst/favorite CD I've ever heard.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
because of downloading, or lack of interest/money?

i may i download a bunch of stuff, but i also still buy a ton.
No, SS is just too busy on the internet telling people that the things they do/like suck.
:D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
not exactly the crappiest, but the Isis cd i got (panoptic, or something like that) was a severe disappointmnet coming on the heels of the Red Sparowes cd. i think it's mainly the guy's voice. i'm not a fan of the drano-gargle/metal voice.
I really had high hopes on this one, but it....I can't put my finger on it.

We just played w/ Red Sparrowes last week, my first time seeing them. Reallllly nice stuff live. Josh, our overly talented visuals and art guy plays guitar for them.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't usually buy a cd unless I know it's good.

but my co worker bought the second to the last Black Label Society disc and burned me a copy. it was so horrible I turned it off half way through. i gave the disc to my bro.in law and he said he did the same thing. ahahhaha.it sucked...:dead:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm disappointed you didn't like the Isis CD. I play the crap out of mine. They were fricking amazing live when I saw them last December too. Tightest live band I've seen.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Wellll...I didn't necessarily BUY the cd's...this dude from the east coast sent me a couple...and they just BLEW! HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Juuuuust kidding...

Hmmm..well, actually, the last cd I bought is REALLY good...a dj outta San Diego, that is now in SF called Greyboy...it kicks ASS.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Fool said:
I'm disappointed you didn't like the Isis CD. I play the crap out of mine. They were fricking amazing live when I saw them last December too. Tightest live band I've seen.
Oceanic and Sngl>05 are great. And live they totally kill.

Panopticon is just...missing something. I've given it a bunch of listens, it just... I dunno.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
narlus said:
because of downloading, or lack of interest/money?

i may i download a bunch of stuff, but i also still buy a ton.
Mostly lack of interest. I almost always just listen to the radio. I mean at home I'm either listening to YahooLaunch! or one of the million free stations on iTunes. If I'm driving I'll either listen to the classic rock/metal stations or NPR. And of course the whole thing about hardly being able to afford bike parts let alone non important things like CDs. :p ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Hmmm..well, actually, the last cd I bought is REALLY good...a dj outta San Diego, that is now in SF called Greyboy...it kicks ASS.
You obviously have missed the whole point of this thread.:rolleyes:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
H8R said:
Oceanic and Sngl>05 are great. And live they totally kill.

Panopticon is just...missing something. I've given it a bunch of listens, it just... I dunno.
I like those a lot too, and Panopticon I liked from the get go. Hm.

Also got a hold of the new Pelican recently. A lot mellower than their last CD, but I like it. They're playing here in NYC at the end of July. Can't wait.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Fool said:
like i said, it might be mainly due to the particular vocalizing. there are some bands i dig who others may hate, due to the vocals (thin white rope, tom waits, current 93, etc).

pnj said:
I don't usually buy a cd unless I know it's good.
unless you know someone who's got it, or you d/l it, there's no way to tell really?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I was disappointed in the new Mars Volta CD.
Actually, it is not that the CD is bad, its just that I can't get into that long experimental rock stuff anymore.
I have their first CD, and really liked a couple of tracks on it, but got bored with alot of their long songs, so I bought the new one, and the songs are even longer and more trippy.
I don't have enough time in the day to listen to that stuff.
I just need music to nod my head to, and that stuff just is not upbeat enough for me.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
dh girlie said:
Wellll...I didn't necessarily BUY the cd's...this dude from the east coast sent me a couple...and they just BLEW! HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Juuuuust kidding...

You don't happen to mean the Greyboy Allstars, do you?

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
Biscuit said:
John Frushante's solo album! HANDS DOWN!

He's the guitar player for the Chili Peppers, so you would think it would be good.
Apparently he does a lot of drugs. I can't believe the record company released it.

I LOVE putting it in while driving in my car and watching for peoples reactions.

Seriously, the absolute worst/favorite CD I've ever heard.

If you're talking about A Sphere in the Heart of Silence then you're wrong dude. That album is pretty awesome.

The new Soundtribe Sector 9 album really dissappointed me. They've become out of touch or something, and that cheesy black chick that sings has GOTTA go.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
this might sound lame but of all the music i have bought or copied lately, the Newest U2 album in fact the last 2 have just blown sooo bad. What happened BONO to worried about your damn sunglasses and poverty in Africa.

but the best album lately...the new Gorillaz kick a$$!

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
Metallica St.anger, no surprise there.
I like slayer CD's, Ive never had to skip a song, i like em all : )

EDIT:I Just read the thread title again "Recently" I bought the st.anger cd awhile ago

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I too have been almost 5 years without buying a CD, I've downloaded 1 mp3 for myself and maybe 10 for my wife, all off legitimate sites. My problem is that I just don't like anything I hear on the radio enough to buy a CD, actually I spend more time searching for stations playing something I do like than I do listening to music. I'm not the type to just go out and buy music I've never heared just to see if I'll like it.

I think good music stopped in 1995, there was some mediocre stuff through 2000, the last few years will be remembered as worse than the '70s musically, at least for the mainstream stuff.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Kornphlake said:
I too have been almost 5 years without buying a CD, I've downloaded 1 mp3 for myself and maybe 10 for my wife, all off legitimate sites. My problem is that I just don't like anything I hear on the radio enough to buy a CD, actually I spend more time searching for stations playing something I do like than I do listening to music. I'm not the type to just go out and buy music I've never heared just to see if I'll like it.

I think good music stopped in 1995, there was some mediocre stuff through 2000, the last few years will be remembered as worse than the '70s musically, at least for the mainstream stuff.
Yup. Kind of where I am. I now listen to NPR news or classical music. And when they do fund raisers I'm forced to commercial radio - I find myself turning "scan" on the radio on the drive home and don't ever take scan off in 35 minutes because there is nothing worth stopping on. :mumble:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I once owned Pinkerton by Weezer. It was by far and away the worst CD that I have ever owned or listened to. What a piece of garbage, I wish I could have my $12 back.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Yup. Kind of where I am. I now listen to NPR news or classical music. And when they do fund raisers I'm forced to commercial radio - I find myself turning "scan" on the radio on the drive home and don't ever take scan off in 35 minutes because there is nothing worth stopping on. :mumble:
Short of a Ween CD I have not bought anything that can be heard on the radio in a very long time. It is tough finding music I like anymore, there is plenty of good stuff out there it is just hard to find now that I don't have time to go see live stuff and now all my friends have lame music taste.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Also haven't bought a lot recently. One thing I have to mention (and it was my last purchace) is Black Sabbath's Symptom of the Universe. Disc one is a true speaker killer (see other thread), but disc 2 (with the exception of maybe a song or two) is almost unlistenably bad.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Kornphlake said:
mainstream stuff is never a good way to properly judge a decade's worth of music, but the 70s was a very productive time. forget about the disco and cheese; the early 70s was marked by some huge psych and rock stuff, and punk washed away the fallow years of '75 and '76.

i do find myself getting more and more reissues of stuff, which is kind of a drag, but there are still good things to be had. if yr friends have lame taste, seek out stuff on yr own. good sources:

college radio (depends on the area)
mags (big takeover, comes w/ a smile, magnet)
websites (pitchforkmedia, perfectsoundforever, fakejazz)

maybe my perspective is warped because i'm constantly on the prowl for new music, but i can't ever see treading water or getting out of the pool completely.