Quantcast

What's the deal on rotors?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
What are the manufacturers trying to pull? Avid disc brake $79 on line. Replacement rotor $40? $50 at the bike shop. Hayes rotor, less and will work. Shimano XT $20!!! and will also work no? What's the deal here? This is ridiculous.

Anyone know of the cheapest replacement for a 6" rotor that will work with 2002 Avids?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
If I try to slap on a 6" Hayes rotor with my Avid caliper in the parking lot of my next ride am I going to run into spacing issues? I remember trying to use a Hayes 6" adapter to mount the caliper and it didn't work. I know the Hayes rotors are slightly thicker. Are there other issues I should be aware of.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Shouldn't have a problem at all...and your Avids are really simple to adjust, in any case...2 minutes or less each wheel and you're done!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by MikeD
Shouldn't have a problem at all...and your Avids are really simple to adjust, in any case...2 minutes or less each wheel and you're done!

thanks
yeah, super easy. Just wanting to know if there are going to be clearance issues or anything. Might need to bring some washers to space anything out should I need em. Some rotors require their own proprietary adapters.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nah, the only thing you should have to adjust is maybe the brake pads in the case of significant rotor thickness...I'm not familiar with Hayes, so I can't speak to that...

As far as rotor cost, yeah, it sucks...esp. b/c I TRASH rotors for some odd reason [crashing]. I've tried PlanetXRotovators which are cheap, but they seem to come pre-warped, and I think they're ugly. Plus, they're not in the size you need...185/165mm is all. I know Aztec products is also producing a cheap rotor...saw it in a mag somewhere...might try to find them on the Web. Best of luck...

MD

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm using an Xt disk rotor with my magura julias because it only cost me 30can were as magura ones cost 130can.
They work fine and i think they'de work with avid

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by JMAC
I'm using an Xt disk rotor with my magura julias because it only cost me 30can were as magura ones cost 130can.
They work fine and i think they'de work with avid
Yeah, I've ordered an XT rotor as a replacement for the borrowed Hayes I may be using tomorrow.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by MikeD
unless you have a warped rotor like me, then it takes 20