Quantcast

What's the deal with Utah and Alchohol??

YaMon

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Jamaica, W.I.
Group of us going to the Festival in 2 weeks. Need to find out if Moab only serves 3 1/2 % alchohol beer. Can't imagine drinking that for 9 days.

May have to bring some Gray Goose, Guiness and Red Stripe ( coming from Jamaica).

Thanks Mon.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i think that its 3.5 % alcohol unless it is a local microbrew and they have some kind of loop hole allowing the alcohol content to be higher. i maybe totally wrong. i do know one thing though. THEY DONT HAVE A ****ING HAPPPY HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its a sad state of affairs when a whole state misses out on the joys of happy hour.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
happy hours have been banned from mass (and maybe most of the NE?) for a while now...afaik

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! what is up with that? i don't understand. however, this is quickly helping me narrow down the places that i want to move when i graduate.

YaMon

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Jamaica, W.I.
Hope the microbrew exemption is correct. I would hate to lug a case or two through the airport. The hard stuff however like the Appleton Rum and the Grey Goose, I will definately be bringing my allowable duty free amount.

B_A_MTBIKER

Monkey
May 4, 2004
Where the wild things are
Yeh in Moab all they sell in stores and such is 3.2%, but the exception is microbrew which is about the usual for micros, also there are some good places to get microbrews in Moab. When I have gone to Moab on spring break we loaded up a Sh!t ton of beer before we left (even though that is illegal) and then drank our accustomed beer while we were on trail and camping.

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
The state of Utah doesn't totally agree with the whole separation-of-church-and-state thing that most of us take for granted. Also, the Mormons have a long history of capatalizing off others' needs. Basically, you can buy real beer (higher than 3.2%) in Utah, but only at State Liquor stores, but you'll pay about $10 for a six pack. It's illegal to bring in beer from other states because the State of Utah doesn't want to lose money, but the highway patrol only stops cars with Utah plates that cross the border and then come right back.

While in Moab, go to the Moab Brewery. They have good beer if you're eating out.

I just moved to Salt Lake City from Boulder, Colorado, and I have resorted to brewing my own beer. I know it's not an option for you, but this sorry state of affairs has forced me to adapt.

God Loves Beer.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Yupper... If ya buy your beer at the bar its going to be 3.2... Mark: " Is that 3.2 or is it regualr strength?" Waitress: " Well ALL beer is basicaly 3.2." ...Mark: " I'll have a sapphire and tonic please."...GRRRRRRR. We shoot down to Sandy and Salt lick just 'bout every year. Bringing brew is a MUST if ya wanna stay at by buds house!

Beer and Tobacco...The gateway drugs!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bikesaregood said:
The state of Utah doesn't totally agree with the whole separation-of-church-and-state thing that most of us take for granted.
Actually it's just that the voting majority are mormons who have distinct ideals, get out there and vote against the grain (no pun intended) if you think you need to change things. Besides I don't think the distributers of quality beverages are exactly fighting for the huge market that is being starved by legislation in Utah.

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
Clark Kent said:
Yupper... If ya buy your beer at the bar its going to be 3.2... Mark: " Is that 3.2 or is it regualr strength?" Waitress: " Well ALL beer is basicaly 3.2." QUOTE]

I have heard this before from people I have spoken with in Utah. One guy actually told me that beer in Utah is no different from anywhere else. He told me the alcohol contect was only a tear drop different, and that alcohol content didn't really matter when it came to the taste of beer.

I simply have no response for this. Where do you start making inroads against deeply ingrained misinformation?