Quantcast

What's with all the headset spacers????

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So I visited a local shop on my lunch break today and they carry Jamis, Cannondale, Cervelo, and IF and Seven road bikes..............and I couldn't help but notice the serious amount of headset spacers on the new road bikes.

Some of them must have about 4" of headset spacers to get the bars in position relative to the saddle........what's the deal with that? Is it just a "safety factor" so that the shop can actually do some steerer tube cutting to get the proper fit or something?

Or.......is there some new trend towards shorter head tube lengths among the new hydroformed frames and whatnot?

Just wondering out loud a bit.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
So I visited a local shop on my lunch break today and they carry Jamis, Cannondale, Cervelo, and IF and Seven road bikes..............and I couldn't help but notice the serious amount of headset spacers on the new road bikes.

Some of them must have about 4" of headset spacers to get the bars in position relative to the saddle........what's the deal with that? Is it just a "safety factor" so that the shop can actually do some steerer tube cutting to get the proper fit or something?

Or.......is there some new trend towards shorter head tube lengths among the new hydroformed frames and whatnot?

Just wondering out loud a bit.

Probably a bit of both....the longer steer tube allows for it to be cut to the person, but it seems like headtubes on road bikes are shorter now than they used to be

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You pretty much nailed it, its so we can fit the bikes easier. Its cheaper and more efective to leave a longer steerer than it is to swap stems to get the proper height. I havent noticed a trend in shorter steerer's myself, in fact with IF I usually see just the opposite specially with there custom work. I do know some of the Manf. are giving a Minimum stack for the spacers between the stem and steerer, such as specialized. Now, what we do, is do a proper fitting, level bike and all on the trainer, let the customer warm up, in there riding gear the works, get everything set right, and we still leavfe the steerer uncut for a bit, just in case they want to raise up from where we put them. We have them return in about three to four weeks of riding, and if they like where its at, then we cut the steerer

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah pretty much everything Mike said, although i've seen some really crazy spacer setups out there that i can't believe shops let out the door.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
would someone mind explaining how one determines the proper steerer length/number of spacers?

There is really no rule. It is what is comfortable to you. I find that I like my bars about level with my seat. Some people like a drop from their saddle to their bars. Opie had a bad back so I think his bars might have been a little above his seat.