Quantcast

Wheel Building (spoke size?

p3rider182

Chimp
Nov 15, 2004
So, i have a question about wheel building, how do you tell what size spoke you need? and what nipple... I have a Mavix EX 832 Disc Rim
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/vtt-prod_fiche?product.id=82&lg=uk

for the front and rear wheel are both the 823's...

Now my hubs are Paul Components, Single Speed Dick Hubs.
http://www.paulcomp.com/
go to "hubs", then go to (disc word) rear, and (disc fhub) front. to get to the tech info on them go to "Tech Info" then over at hub click the "Disc WORD" for the rear, or "Disc fHub" for the front...

so now i was wondeirng abotu the spoke sizing to match those 2 up, and i also want to knwo the strongest way of lacing, i need to know what nipples, spoke size, gauge, adapters or anyhting i need to know... thanks

Chris

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Uh. OK. Sounds like you haven't built a wheel before. Here's what I'd do:

Go down to your local 'friendly' shop and say "Hey, I want to learn how to build wheels. I'll pay you your standard wheel building fee ($20, $30, $50whatever) to build my wheels, except I want to do the work." Only about half of the shops will actually laugh in your face, but eventually one will take the deal. That way you get something like instruction, you can use their truing stands, and you get someone else to double check your work.

As for spoke lengths, get SpoCalc from Sheldon Brown. You'll likely find your rim and hubs aren't in the database, but Paul and Mavic should provide wheelbuilding dimensions on their website. Alternately, a shop can take measurements off the actual hardware if you take it to them. And make sure you get someone else to double check your calculations. Nothing sucks more than ordering $40 of spokes in the wrong length.

Then get the shop to order up spokes and nipples for you. I'd suggest 14/15 (so-called butted, double-butted or DB) spokes, 3 cross all around, brass nipples. If you really need to to save a couple of bucks, or if you're really hard on wheels, you may think about 14 gauge (straight) spokes, but if you're buying Paul hubs you aren't hurting for $$$.

Then get building.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
you can also try the spoke calculator on the DTSwiss web site. That has worked for me in the past. If you hubs or rims are not there, you can probably find the effective rim diameter and find another rim with the same measurement which is listed. Can't imagine a Mavic rim not being listed there though. Same thing with the hubs. You might find that most hubs are built to the same or very similar dimensions as others of the same genre.