Quantcast

wheel ?'s

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
#1 - yes.

#2 - I wouldn't bother with such low-end hubs. 1st off, they're super-heavy, they won't take a disc if you ever decide to go that route, and they've got cup/cone bearings which are high maintenence - and they probably aren't well sealed at all, which will contribute to the maint. issue. I'd take a set of Formula sealed-bearing hubs over those any day.

The Rhyno Lite/Deore disc wheelset is SO SO SO worth the extra $20 over that POS set at Nashbar it's not even funny.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by sub6
#1 - yes.

#2 - I wouldn't bother with such low-end hubs. 1st off, they're super-heavy, they won't take a disc if you ever decide to go that route, and they've got cup/cone bearings which are high maintenence - and they probably aren't well sealed at all, which will contribute to the maint. issue. I'd take a set of Formula sealed-bearing hubs over those any day.

The Rhyno Lite/Deore disc wheelset is SO SO SO worth the extra $20 over that POS set at Nashbar it's not even funny.

Uh....

Last time I checked, Deore hubs were cup and cone too.

Cartridge bearing or cup and cone mean nothing, it's the quality of the bearings that makes a good hub. Many "sealed cartridge" bearing hubs are complete crap. Most have zero adjustability, and are ride-it-till-dies construction. A quality cup and cone hub is VERY easy to service, easily rebuildable, and only need maybe one follow up adjustment after break-in from a re-build.

I do agree the STX/RC are heavy though, and are like circa 1999, but the seals and overall quality of those are probably not far off from the current Deore hubs. Very few low-end hubs have very good seals.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Uh....

Yeah, they sure are. They're also heavy and not that well-sealed. But they are a huge step up from those STX-RCs and the rims they're laced to are certainly better.

All the Shimano hubs I've had have been a royal pain in the ass. A cheap cart-bearing hub may be a "ride til it dies" situation, but at that point it's a "pop 'em out and put in new ones for $10" situation. Way easier than farting around with cone wrenches and grease every month.

I wasn't trying to say that the Deores embodied everything I love about hubs; just that they were a much better deal than the Nashbar wheels.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I would avoid the shimano stx rear hub as the nondrives side doesn't have the rubber seal like the better shimano hubs. This is ok for road riding but not enough for off road.

Shimano front hubs are great but the rear hubs are not great. There are not any decent seals on the drive side. The rear axel will also be the weakest part of the wheel. Most cartridge hubs use think axels that don't bend as easerly as the shimano ones.

I would much rather have cup and cone over cartridge bearings longer intervels between servicing and easyier to service.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Uh....

Cartridge bearing or cup and cone mean nothing, it's the quality of the bearings that makes a good hub. Many "sealed cartridge" bearing hubs are complete crap. Most have zero adjustability, and are ride-it-till-dies construction. A quality cup and cone hub is VERY easy to service, easily rebuildable, and only need maybe one follow up adjustment after break-in from a re-build.

I do agree the STX/RC are heavy though, and are like circa 1999, but the seals and overall quality of those are probably not far off from the current Deore hubs. Very few low-end hubs have very good seals.
I agree 100%.