Quantcast

Wheel truing stand for DH wheels

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
What truing stand do you use for your DH wheels with 20mm front axles and 150mm rear?

I have an Ultimate stand so I'll go ahead and ask if this will work, even though it looks like it will only work on QR hubs.

Other than a spoke wrench, what other accessories would I need for building and truing wheels? I think that I would also need a tension meter for my I9 spokes.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I am drawing a blank on the name, but there are adapters you can use to true a 20 mm hub in a standard truing stand. I think that a park truing stand could also take a 150 mm wheel.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
There're adapters for the TS-2, and I think the TS-3 is ready to rock with no additional parts.. not positive - I own neither (but crave one!)

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Yea, after looking around I'm beginning to think that I will buy the TS-2 with the TS-2 EXT for the 20mm and 150mm hubs.

Should pay for itself after a few wheel builds though.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I have a TS2 and I keep a spare 12x150 axle and 20x110 axle(marzocchi has no tapers) and it works just fine. The 24mm Maverick axle really doesn't fit as well, but its doable.

-Kevin

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
How much are those adapters? The TS-2 EXT is $30 and will pretty much let me work on any kind of axle and also up to 29" wheels.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I don't remember, I got them at cost. I want to say MSRP is about $30 for the pair. Just a guess though. I'm getting the TS-2 extensions within the next week. Both hubs fit in a standard TS-2, but definitely tight for the 150mm hubs.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
That is quite the impressive stand, but looks to be too much screwing around for working on different wheels all the time...

lugnuts

Monkey
May 2, 2002
maine
if you are building wheels the park TS2 is the way to go. To do it right you probably want some spoke prep, a tensiometer (TM1 is quick and easy) and dish tool. Oh, and my personal vice is a good nipple driver.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Will the TS-2 not measure dish? I'd like to avoid having to buy that if possible.
Since I've never had build a dished wheel I've always just flipped the wheel several times while building the wheel, never had a problem doing this. I also built a little tool out of a bent spoke make to look like a little coat hanger with the threads on the end so that you can thread a nipple just a little ways on and easily poke the nipple through the rim so it doesnt drop into the rim. A spoke driver is also clutch

I like this one

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Since I've never had build a dished wheel I've always just flipped the wheel several times while building the wheel, never had a problem doing this. I also built a little tool out of a bent spoke make to look like a little coat hanger with the threads on the end so that you can thread a nipple just a little ways on and easily poke the nipple through the rim so it doesnt drop into the rim. A spoke driver is also clutch

I like this one
I'll look into one of those when I get away from I-9's :biggrin:

So you think that there is no need for a dish tool? I have a Socom with a 150mm rear wheel and 20mm front wheel. I'm not sure if they are dished or not.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Will the TS-2 not measure dish? I'd like to avoid having to buy that if possible.
I'll look into one of those when I get away from I-9's :biggrin:

So you think that there is no need for a dish tool? I have a Socom with a 150mm rear wheel and 20mm front wheel. I'm not sure if they are dished or not.
The TS-2 automatically centers the hub for proper dishing (assuming the truing stand is in proper alignment). You technically don't *need* a dish tool, but it doesn't hurt to have one.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
look up the cost on the dt stand....

you'll prob **** yourself when you realize it doesnt build the wheel for you

and for the guy that says he has one.....why? do you work for dt and got one for free? or you just like wasting money? maybe to show off?

i bet my wheels built on a ts2 are just as good, if not better...plus im left with enough $ to build 3 or 4 more wheels

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well I can't comment on the DT since I've never used one. I've had my TS-2 for over 15 years.
I have used one, and they are an absolute pain in the ass. Stick with the ts-2

holy hell.... does that thing build wheels by itself? ;)
Not even close, its a pretty looking stand that is manual for everything, you have to do all the compensation yourself, and you need the dishing tool after using it. look closer, everything on it is on an independant slider, nothing linked like the ts2 which automatically ceneters for you

look up the cost on the dt stand....

you'll prob **** yourself when you realize it doesnt build the wheel for you

and for the guy that says he has one.....why? do you work for dt and got one for free? or you just like wasting money? maybe to show off?

i bet my wheels built on a ts2 are just as good, if not better...plus im left with enough $ to build 3 or 4 more wheels

I would have to agree

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
wow... such animosity...

as far as the dt stand being difficult, i don't know where that comes from. look closely and you will see it is really more simple than it looks. i have used a park stand and they both are great stands but i love the adjustability of the dt and the fact it comes with all the adapters for any axel including Leftys. the axel width is easily adjusted with two open/close levers and then you just have one elbow arm for each side of the rim and then one more to check for "roundness" for lack of a better word... If you had trouble with this stand, then I would just say that you didn't give it enough time to grow on you. the best part of it is that the adjusters are elbows so that you can put the needle anywhere you want on the rim, giving a wider stance for finding wobbles. and also, it isn't such a big deal for mountain wheels, but for building $3000 tri-bike wheelsets, this stand is the bees knees.

about cost, yes it was expensive (it does come with a calibrated tensiometer) and no i dont have money to burn, but through a promo from dt my shop didn't pay full price, and i love it because it is heavy enough not to topple from a dh wheel without being bolted down but not hard to move around if need be.

And to the OP, if you are going to start building wheels, you should get the book "The Art of Wheelbuilding" by Gerd Schraner. It has amazing information and tricks for getting a wheel that will never lose tension.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have this:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Proline/DT-truing-stand.aspx

Its amazing, totally adjustable for any hub width and has adapters for any type of axel.
Yeah, and wait till I show you my gold plated TS-2 with diamond tips... sheesh...

Seriously, do you have a real life pic of this truing stand. Looks really impressive, but i'd like to see one in real life setting. What about durability, how does it compare to the TS-2 ? Thanks!

Also, to the OP: I suggest Roger Musson's Ebook on wheelbuilding (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php). Lacing instructions are really clear and the instructions straighforward.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The TS-2 automatically centers the hub for proper dishing (assuming the truing stand is in proper alignment). You technically don't *need* a dish tool, but it doesn't hurt to have one.
Yes and no....

It does clamp the hub in the center of the stand, but there is some play and flex in the system that can lead to an off-center build, depending on how 'perfect' you have to have the wheels you build.

Next time you have a wheel in one, tighten or loosen the axle clamp knob a bit and you will see the 'center' shift.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I have a ton of crap left over from when I wanted to build my own wheels. They were serviceable, but not perfect... good enough for racing DH, where wheels [rims] need to be considered expendable items... Eventually, I decided this was a task best left to guys who do it more often. Wheelbuilding is a skill you need to learn and practice and I had neither the time nor the funds to build a lot of wheels.

For some reason, I have an extra set of Magura 20mm t/a truing stand adapters, still new in the bag (never opened):

They're in my "going to eBay pile" but PM if interested.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Just ordered the Park TS-2 and TM-1 from Treefortbikes.com

They didn't have the TS-2 EXT on their website, but hopefully they can add that to it.

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
the new TS-2 should be able to handle dh wheels, they made it bigger in the last couple years, you can now true 29ers to 12in, and 150 and 20mm. that said i wish my shop had one, we have the old ones and i have to take tires off anything thats bigger 700X1.95 or dh tires :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes and no....

It does clamp the hub in the center of the stand, but there is some play and flex in the system that can lead to an off-center build, depending on how 'perfect' you have to have the wheels you build.

Next time you have a wheel in one, tighten or loosen the axle clamp knob a bit and you will see the 'center' shift.
I know what you're talking about. When I said proper it was a little bit tongue in cheek which doesn't translate well on the internet, I meant its good enough for mountain bike wheels and disc brakes :D You can build a reasonably dished wheel as long as you don't hamfist the stand.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Yes and no....

you can flip the wheel around in the stand to check dish if you are concerned about the dish. I also check the wheel for dish in the frame to make sure it aligns there since that is what really matters.

BTW: my ts-2 works fine for 150mm hubs. I think it's about 6-7 years old.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yes and no....

After seeing pics of the ts-3, I think thats what park was looking to eliminate.

I have used the DT stand before, not that it isnt a good stand, but it just doesnt make it for the cost, I know the park isnt meant to set your dish, but damn it gets it close, and of coarse you "should" be checing it afterwords with a proper dish tool. But the DT doesnt do that for you. It deosnt center the hub for you, it doesnt adjust the arms with one knob, its just a general pita.

As far as eliminating runout, and hop on the ts2, use it right, and it your only turning three knobs ever.Its an easy, simple, and lost lasting stand.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I have a TS2 and to do my 20mm fronts I just stick the QR adapters in and set it in the stand. I don't have a dishing guage, but haven't had any problem getting the proper dish even on road wheels. I am looking to buy a tensiometer... I think that is the final frontier in building a strong wheel.