Quantcast

wheels

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
I ride Diablo 90% of the time, so I want a wheel that will survive there. Just removed my rear dented, bent, twisted EX5.1D. Need to replace with something stronger, same weight if not lighter. I don't mind spending decent money, but I'm not looking for a $2000 wheelset. Any suggestions?

Nov 13, 2007
neptune, nj
yes i got the right set for you, very light weight (rear 12x150 hub 330 grams only and front hub 180 grams only!). black atomlab pimp rims with white reversecomponents.com racelite hubs, with black double butted spokes and red atomlab torque nipples, these wheels are as straight as it gets and spokes are super tight due to torque nipples allowing you to tighten without stripping the nipples.
here's a link to the white hubs:
http://www.reversecomponents.com/images/parts/naben/naben_evo_III_big.jpg
and to pimp rims:
http://www.atomlab.com/rimpimp.html

atomlab rims are one of the strongest rims on the market and this year they sponsor diablo as well. i'm at diablo all the time so i can bring you wheels.
i'm not gonna ask you for $2000 for this wheel set but $400 will do.
wheels are like new, i only used them on race days (sundays) last year maybe 8-10 races. i'll give you free kenda blue groove 2.7 if you buy this set.
pm me if interested.

Last edited:

Wrench

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
I know Jamie at the shop at Diablo can get you Azonic Outlaws as well as a good price on some AtomLab 12x135mm wheels that his local distributor has instock and be there for the weekend. Give him a call.

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
It's funny how almost everyone who has replied hasn't really given you advice...........but instead, is just trying to sell you their extra wheelset.

If the wheels they're trying to sell you were so great, why aren't they still riding them?

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
I have been riding atom lab trailpimps w.hadley hubs72 engagement rear going on almost 3 seasons .I can't believe how true they still are i check my spokes almost every time i ride to make sure theres no loose ones other than that i love them I been riding them at diablo almost everyweekend since i built them i hit all the drops hit all the extreme trails ect. You can't beat the price there indestructable. Everyride from now on that i get out of them is a plus i just can't believe they are still holding true .whenever i flatten these i will buy another set. Good luck hope that helps.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I'm not sure about hubs but Alex Supra D rims have held up fine for me, couple dents but they're all from slick rock highway. Supposedly Alex makes rims for a couple of the other big companies so they know what they're doing. Supra D's are strong and pretty light (<600g). Just build them up with like a Hope or Hadley hub and your all set.

dirtslayer

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
socal
i have the atomlab pimps with aircorps and they are the stiffest wheel ive ever ridin or felt. plus they look sick with the white hoops and ano-red hub nuts..so nice.........:cheers: and the price is definitly not bad. the rear weighs at 1224g with the cassette and no tire. i think its light

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
well... i think that the atom lab ims suck... but the hubs are tough as hell! or so i hear... personaly if you have the money get hadlys and 823s, i just orderd a rear hadly only because it would have taken longer for the atom labs... but if you want a good pre built wheel set get dee max... or get dee trax and wat for the 09 dee max witch are much better!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
It's funny how almost everyone who has replied hasn't really given you advice...........but instead, is just trying to sell you their extra wheelset.

If the wheels they're trying to sell you were so great, why aren't they still riding them?
i have 5 wheelsets, its way too much, at home 823s on ringles and 823s on industry nines, deemaxxs and pimps to halos

yes i have too much wheels

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007

funny how that happens, although I don't blame people for trying. and I really don't mind. if someone's got a good set of wheels out there I'm not opposed to hearing about it. only down side is I'm leery of buying a used wheelset. knowing what a beating they take.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
well... i think that the atom lab ims suck... but the hubs are tough as hell! or so i hear... personaly if you have the money get hadlys and 823s, i just orderd a rear hadly only because it would have taken longer for the atom labs... but if you want a good pre built wheel set get dee max... or get dee trax and wat for the 09 dee max witch are much better!
you are an idiot...:shocked:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I used to ride WTB LaserDisc's on my SGS Pro. I'm not light at 250, but these rims held up with Maxxis Minions 2.7's. My Sunday came with MTX's. I thought they were supposed to be good, but my back rim would get at least 2 dents every day I rode. Same tire preassure, same tires, and I'm the same weight. I changed back to LaserDisc's this year and have one small dent. I would recommend these rims to anyone looking for strength despite people saying that they're made by Alex and things. Maybe they are, but words of spoken technology on forums doesn't prove anything to me. What last for me on the trail is what matters, and I'm telling you what DID work for me. ttyl, EC

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
I'm a fairly big dude (225Lbs) and not the smoothest rider, but my Alex Supra D's w/ King hubs have lasted three seasons and are still round/true. Also, I've had good luck with the Azonic Outlaws as well for dj and dh---not bad for a $250-270 set of dh rims.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
I think if youre willing to deal out some money, a great bomb proof wheelset is hadley hubs laced up on mavic 729's. super strong, not too heavy either. or you can get 823's over 729's and than run a tubeless setup to compensate weight. i used to have 729's on Hadleys and they were very durable with very little truing needed at the end of the season. id do that or well, azonic outlaws ive always liked too. thats my 2 cents. best of luck!