Quantcast

When is a helmet too old?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I had someone ask me how to tell if a helmet is too old. I really didn't know how to answer that aside from looking at the foam and making sure it wasn't obviously compromised in some way.

Aside from looking at the foam and making sure it isn't cracked, chipped or otherwise damaged, when is it time to buy a new lid?

I've heard all kinds of marketing hype from the Zorbium Foam people ( http://www.whelmets.com/ ) that "traditional" foam loses it's absorption abilities naturally over time--even if there hasn't been any impacts.

Is there anyone who can fill me in here?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by powderboy
I had someone ask me how to tell if a helmet is too old. I really didn't know how to answer that aside from looking at the foam and making sure it wasn't obviously compromised in some way.

Aside from looking at the foam and making sure it isn't cracked, chipped or otherwise damaged, when is it time to buy a new lid?

I've heard all kinds of marketing hype from the Zorbium Foam people ( http://www.whelmets.com/ ) that "traditional" foam loses it's absorption abilities naturally over time--even if there hasn't been any impacts.

Is there anyone who can fill me in here?
I've heard (from the folks at the shop I used to work at) that after about 5 years a helmet is due for replacement if its been crashed or not, and yes the foam does loose its absortive qualities over time.

I've never had to replace a helmet from age though:think:

Originally posted by SwisSlesS
If you've ever crashed, it's too old.
Since I'm of the crash early, crash often school, that would be a little prohibitive for me.

I have only once, though, crashed sufficient to deform the foam significantly. That lid got replaced.

The biggest weak point I have experienced is the cheesy adhesives used to attach pads, etc. Come around this time of year I'll forget and leave a helmet in the car with the windows closed on a sunny day and it disassembles itself, so I wind up replacing them every year or two by default.

J