Quantcast

When landings go wrong...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So I guess I came up short on a rock gap today...

Smashed the bash guard hard enough to have it crack in six places, and then start to disintegrate as I rode on it. It was rad. Cut my day short by a couple hours. I didn't think these things could die. Did I miss something?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
At least you didn't mess up your chain/ring/cranks/guide/ISCG mounts I guess. You know the bash is doing its job!

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Is that one of the bash guards with the metal inserts where the bash guard bolts to the crank? If not I bet you over-tightened the bolts against the plastic and that played a part in it breaking.

Glad you and nothing else was injured. :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is that one of the bash guards with the metal inserts where the bash guard bolts to the crank? If not I bet you over-tightened the bolts against the plastic and that played a part in it breaking.

No. e-13 ships them with some big ass washers to put under the bolts though. Not saying you're wrong, but you'd really need to crank down to crack one of those things.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The transition?
I cant stop laughing at that one.
Dirt, you got owned here

No. e-13 ships them with some big ass washers to put under the bolts though. Not saying you're wrong, but you'd really need to crank down to crack one of those things.
I have cracked a few of them by overtightening them just like that. Bad part is you cant see the litle micro cracks you make in it till yiou smack something. I have taken to torqueing everything I possible can to specs, even chainring bolts

Oh yeah, this is what it looks like when it really goes bad

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
OMG look at that bent top tube!

Oh wait, just ugly. Nevermind.

Glad you made it out alright. What she sh!t did you case at N*?

DirtyMike, ouch. What happened?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
So I guess I came up short on a rock gap today...

Smashed the bash guard hard enough to have it crack in six places, and then start to disintegrate as I rode on it. It was rad. Cut my day short by a couple hours. I didn't think these things could die. Did I miss something?
I smashed my e-thirteen guard into a nasty rock section a few years ago. But it only broke in two places...held together until I took it off...

I got another one and went to put it on, but I had bent the spider on my holzfellers....doh.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
.......DirtyMike, ouch. What happened?
All in the, Severly bruised Femur, Bruised tibia, torn lateral Miniscus.

All in teh chest, four cracked ribs underneath right arm, fracture in the sternum.

Happening, woodward west, finish line, small kicker, too much speed, too far back on the bike. It was effing spectacluar.

Three MRI's later, Meniscus is healing well, Tibia is better, but the Femur is healing slowly. Doc says I will have pain for about a year. I can ride, just cant stand up and mash teh pedals yet and cornering is off from limited twisting of the knee.

having no air conditioning?
I do now, we just got it fixed for 1700!!!!! Damn its sooo worth it.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Too funny. I saw a piece of white E13 bashguard at the start of Gypsy. That must've been you at the bottom of the lift wearing the Team Fat Guy?? jersey and friggin' dirty.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Too funny. I saw a piece of white E13 bashguard at the start of Gypsy. That must've been you at the bottom of the lift wearing the Team Fat Guy?? jersey and friggin' dirty.
Yea, that was me missing a chunk of a bash guard and wearing my Team Fat Kids jersey. It was a rough day.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Are GIANT bikes the trendy bike to have around N*? When i went out there last week, it seemed like every third bike was a Giant.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so at big races...WCs, Nat. Cs, etc...

do wrenches installing E13 bashguards use torque wrenches? just curious.

or has the design changed? if so, what about back in the day...the OG bashguards...did wrenches at pro level races use torque wrenches when at a race site?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

or has the design changed? if so, what about back in the day...the OG bashguards...did wrenches at pro level races use torque wrenches when at a race site?
Pretty sure when I bought my first e.13 at Big Bear 5 or so years ago, they didn't use a torque wrench on mine when I needed help installing it.

Are GIANT bikes the trendy bike to have around N*? When i went out there last week, it seemed like every third bike was a Giant.
They rent lots of Giants there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Giants are ALOT of bike for the money, you see alot of them everywhere

I always did/do when I am running tech support, I know most others do not. It rally blows me away that more people do not use torque wrenchs, its not like it takes any longer