Quantcast

when You Asked/Were asked the mariage question .....

so was the Big Question a Surprise ?

• It was Known, just a formalitly.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Never saw it coming , hit'em like a mack truck!

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Turned them Down / Got turned down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am never asking that question!!!

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

splat

Nam I am
reading about stosh asking the Big question last week , and a Few of the responses about surprise vs. sknew it was coming . made me wonder

When you asked that tough Question ( or were asked ) was it a surprise or was it know it was coming ?

With My wife it was a complete and utter surprise , her first response was "are you serious ?"

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Stosh got engaged? Where the hell have I been? Link?

I hae never been in a position to ask The question. Although, I'm sure I'll be so late in asking it that it'll simply be a formality.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Emily never saw it coming. Actually, it was sort of a surpise to me. I woke up one morning and decided that it was time to ask her. Went got a ring that day (sort of knew what she liked), and drove 9 hours the next day (called my parents and her parents from pay phones along the way that I was going to do it) and asked her that night.

We had the barest of discussions about it but nothing too deep. I did figure I was 75 / 25 to get a yes.

The only problem was that I never officially asked 'cause I kinda locked up when she opened the door but she saw the ring figured the intent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Although never engaged I had an ex that started telling everyone we were engaged. That was a surprise.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Westy said:
Although never engaged I had an ex that started telling everyone we were engaged. That was a surprise.
yeah really. cue psycho stabbing sound effect. :D

I will have to ask.....i think it was a suprise.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
Me and the wife agread on it, then she picked a ring out and I kept faking her out ( dinners, walks in the park...) for about a month it was pretty funny.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My GF came to me and said that I would be asking her to marry me within the year, that we would get married the next year and buy a house the year after that. I just said, "Yes, dear..."

Here's mine...
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106079&highlight=engaged

Did it on XMas day, on the cliffs at the beach by her parents house. It was deserted and very romantic. She said she was very surprised. She had no idea that I had taken a day off of work to go get the ring the week before.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Since she actually spotted the ring in a window of a shop in downton Boston and called me to swing by and see it - not really a surprise.

However I had the clerk tell her that it could not be picked up for 2 weeks b/c of re-sizing, but I picked it up 3 days later.

Surprised her in timing only...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We had kicked the idea around, but it had sorta been put on the back burner for a long time...

I asked her in front of about 60 of our friends on her birthday. I didn't tell anyone about it, I had the ring ready and just popped the question after cake.

She said yes, luckily.

:whew:

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
Everyone I knew told her that if she wanted to get married, she had picked the wrong guy. So i had lots of people setting the bait. Although we had talked about it on occasion. I think I got her with the timing though. We were backpacking on the Appalachian Trail and had just reached the top of a mountain, I bent down and popped the question. She said yes and then we heard this tremendous BELCH! A through hiker didn't know we were there and let one rip. We still laugh about that!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
We had discussed getting married and Freak had said he wanted me to help pick out my ring to make sure it's what I wanted, but I was surpised when out of the blue one night (when we were supposed to be packing to move) he said "Let's go ring shopping"!!! Nothing was really catching our eyes completely until I tried mine on and he said he saw my eyes light up and knew it was the one (even though I didn't...hehehe) So we ended up getting it but I thought I was going to have to wait a bit to get it but ended up getting it that night :D

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
had no idea it was gonna happen...the hubby and I had dated for about 3 months the year before...and we weren't even still dating at the time...he asked me to come over and we sat on his homemade beach by the creek...he asked me and I thought it was a joke...left his house for a bit...came back and said yes...we flew out to Vegas from So. Dak. the next morning for 3 or 4 days...I only told one friend where I was going...my mom kept calling my roommate and asking where I was...(it was the Sturgis rallies and my mom figured I took off with the Hell's Angels or something...started freaking, so my roommate told her where I went)...sucks, I wish I coulda been the first to tell em...anyways, when we got back...we went into their office and introduced them to my husband...we're 2 days shy of 8 years married...and everyone's still amazed we're together...frankly, so are we...it's been a crazy 8 years...and I'm not even 30 yet...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Holly and I agreeded to get married, we were sitting on the couch, "Hey, you want to get married?", "Sure, let's have a judge do it, I hate weddings"

Next week we got married, skipped the big wedding, and the parents never forgave up. Bot our mothers are a little....in need of mental health care.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We had talked about marriage but the proposal was still a total surprise to me. TN had been broke forever. Instead of me assuming he was saving for a ring, I figured we'd never be able to afford one. I thought we would probably wait until I graduated anyway.

He picked out the ring without me knowing.
We hiked to Emerald Lake in RMNP. When he got down on one knee to ask me I was in shock. Everybody cried. It was great.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
laura said:
We had talked about marriage but the proposal was still a total surprise to me. TN had been broke forever. Instead of me assuming he was saving for a ring, I figured we'd never be able to afford one.
That was the hardest part was hiding the fact that I had actually been saving money for awhile. We were so broke that every penny was accounted for so making them disappear was tough. I took a lot of grief for "bike part purchases". It was about a year after we got married that she came to me and told me she figured it out and was sorry for bitchin' at me about it. To this day she has never said one word about bike money.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
dh girlie said:
hahaha! That guy should NOT do his own commercials...his voice...just ANNOYING! Especially when he says ANTWERP!

I wonder what it would be like if Greg Lemond did his own commercials...

"Before I shot my self in the ass with a shotgun and became a fat bastard constantly complaining about any bicyclist who might be better than I am. I won the tour de france, not seven times like what's his name, but we were clean back then and didn't use performance enhancing drugs... Anyway now that I've bashed a national hero, buy a bike from me Greg L..E..M..O..N..D."

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
laura said:
We had talked about marriage but the proposal was still a total surprise to me.
Same, we had talked about it quite a bit and were planning on it, but it still took her by surprise when I asked.

She got real quiet and then starting crying, which was not what I had expected. Luckily, she dried her eyes, said yes, and we went on to have a happy day (and happy life so far).

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
We'd talked about it, future together, marriage, etc... but I'd given her the idea that it would be a while before I could afford the kind of ring I wanted to get her. When she told me that she didn't care about the ring and that she'd say yes with just a rubber band as the ring I knew I was making the right decision in spending my rainy day money on a kick-ass rock and custom made diamond and platinum setting. She thought it would be weeks, possibly months before I asked, but ha! I surprised her. Her parents kept quiet, (and I asked permission...call me old fashioned..) and my friends helped me set up the whole thing (see very gay description of the asking halfway down the page.)

the best engagement story ever was for my cousin rachel... One Saturday we were going mtb'ing (the three of us - me, Rachel and her now husband Keith). IAB had just gotten into biking. He didn't even own his own yet, he was using Rachel's old Scott. IAB was going to go golfing but Keith got on the phone with him and the next thing I knew, IAB changed his golf plans to come with us.....

Out in the middle of the trail is a bench. IAB gave me the camera and we thought we'd stop and take some pics. Before I even knew what was going on, Keith was on one knee in front of my cousin resulting in this pic:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
MtnBikerChk said:
the best engagement story ever was for my cousin rachel... One Saturday we were going mtb'ing (the three of us - me, Rachel and her now husband Keith). IAB had just gotten into biking. He didn't even own his own yet, he was using Rachel's old Scott. IAB was going to go golfing but Keith got on the phone with him and the next thing I knew, IAB changed his golf plans to come with us.....

Out in the middle of the trail is a bench. IAB gave me the camera and we thought we'd stop and take some pics. Before I even knew what was going on, Keith was on one knee in front of my cousin resulting in this pic:

I thought my proposal was the gayest, but I think any guy making a proposal in lycra AND the helmet (not to mention the fingerless gloves) automatically trumps all others in gayness. :p ;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
El Jefe said:
We'd talked about it, future together, marriage, etc... but I'd given her the idea that it would be a while before I could afford the kind of ring I wanted to get her. When she told me that she didn't care about the ring and that she'd say yes with just a rubber band as the ring I knew I was making the right decision in spending my rainy day money on a kick-ass rock and custom made diamond and platinum setting. She thought it would be weeks, possibly months before I asked, but ha! I surprised her. Her parents kept quiet, (and I asked permission...call me old fashioned..) and my friends helped me set up the whole thing (see very gay description of the asking halfway down the page.)
I asked permission too. it went a looooong way with her parents. I took her dad out for a beer , and asked for her hand in marriage. That was the first time I had ever seen anyone "beam".

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
We were walking through a vinyard owned by friends of ours in Healdsburg, a light rain was falling and we were walking along talking about the relationship her parents had (both now deceased) and that of my grandparents (still around thank god) and I stopped, stood in front of her and said "That is the kind of thing I want. how about you?" She replied, "Well yeah of course but..." and I grabbed her right hand and held it to my chest as I reached into my shirt pocket and pulled out a ring and placed it on her finger and said, "Then why dont we?" She just stared for a second then began to smile (the longest second of my life) and I said, "Will you mary me?" To which she replied "yes."

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I did mine back asswards, bought a house together after being together for 3 years, she got knocked up after the first year in our house, looked at her and said........ Well guess we're getting married. 3 months later we were married, that was 6 1/2 years ago:love: