Quantcast

when you tell people how long a ride took, do you...

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Originally posted by LordOpie
tell 'em saddle time or total time?
Interesting question. If I'm talking to a serious rider I usually report my ride exploits in terms of saddle time. If it's a non rider I'll give them my mileage. Hmmmm, I wonder why I tend to do that. Perhaps it's what I perceive each audience can relate to, though I'm not sure. I know that most of the racers I run into are all on some sort of training program that usually has a periodization component that's based on time. Lots of these guys don't even use an odometer (just heart rate monitors) which I can't relate to with my healthy OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) hankerings.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It doesn't matter, either one scares the hell outta them.:p

No, seriously, I do ride time, not total time.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by rockracing
actual pedaling time, I stop my clock evrytime I freewheel.....lol.

nah, I suppose what you call saddle time, don't include the breaks.
Sounds like you need a fixed gear :D

I usually break it down to time and distance. When I mention it to bikers they automatically calculate my average speed, non-bikers just go "You went how far!?!?!"

The Ito

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
my dad's an ex roadie, so when ever I come back from a mtb race, he asks "how many km's was your race"......then I reply 30 odd km's, I know he's thinking "back in my day we raced 100-120km....you wimp"
don't think he realises the diff between riding on the road and off the road. :)

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
I work Sundays at a LBS mostly for the discount .. I always gotta remember when someone says "I wanna start riding more, 50-70 miles" that the next words out of their mouth will 90% of the time be "a week" :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Nitromike said:
I work Sundays at a LBS mostly for the discount .. I always gotta remember when someone says "I wanna start riding more, 50-70 miles" that the next words out of their mouth will 90% of the time be "a week" :D
really, hook me up dawg. if you find some stuff that 'fell off a truck' let me know.