Quantcast

where do all those bike standards come from(I.S disc mount)?

rbx

Monkey
who set these standards.. like for example the correct distance of the derailleur mounting hole compared to the rear hub or the I.S disc mount standard..

is their a website where i can all these standard measurements?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by rbx
who set these standards.. like for example the correct distance of the derailleur mounting hole compared to the rear hub or the I.S disc mount standard..

is their a website where i can all these standard measurements?
Most of them aren't standards as such. For both the cases above you could just measure an existing frame.

The companies that make the products set the standards, notice there are at least 2 ways to mount a disc to a frame, 3 different headtube sizes god knows how many bb sizes. How you actually find out what the standards are I don't know other than to measure and existing product or search the web.

www.sheldonbrown.com/
Will has some info on some of the many standards.

Originally posted by rbx
i agree some measurements are custom(outer diameter headtube..)but the distance between the rear derailleur and the center axle must be standard(i think)!?
I would guess that Shimano and other manufacturers give specifications to manufacturers by request.

I managed to find the ISIS spline drive specification by using Google, and was on the 1.5" headset specification distribution until I got bored to tears.

I'm having more trouble finding dropout / hanger specs.

J

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters

I would guess that Shimano and other manufacturers give specifications to manufacturers by request.

I managed to find the ISIS spline drive specification by using Google, and was on the 1.5" headset specification distribution until I got bored to tears.

I'm having more trouble finding dropout / hanger specs.

J
The trouble with that is that Derailer's have been around a long long time so it's unlikley there is a set standard if there is one at all and there won't be a website. Try asking a few frame builders. A quick search on google groups might help.

If you are building a frame go to a bike shop and ask to see a few mech hangers and buy the one that you can build into you design easyest.