Quantcast

where is the american pride?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've never understood why athletes aren't wearing colors that would indicate their country more often at international events. I know they do for Worlds but for WC rounds and other nationals where they might be from out of the country? You'd never know he was a US racer other than looking at the result sheet.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Yea, I guess you would loose about 8 seconds without chain two thirds down a decent gradiented three minute track. But did that really give a fifth place? ;)
the way I read it - He was running chainless(no hanger), not dropping it.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
not really when he had to do the whole weekend chainless because he didn't have a spare hanger for his gt.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I've never understood why athletes aren't wearing colors that would indicate their country more often at international events. I know they do for Worlds but for WC rounds and other nationals where they might be from out of the country? You'd never know he was a US racer other than looking at the result sheet.
I agree, it would be nice. I am sure every rider could fit a small flag somewhere between all their corporate sponsor logos.

BTW, Congrats Duncan!!!!!:happydance:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
It used to be cool to theme your whole jersey around USA if you won the national championships, but with the demise of the whole U.S. scene its not 'cool' anymore?

Leigh Donovan circa 1997 and then some of the bikes I had done (97' and 99')....ya, I love me some american pride!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Stik so did they used to wear their countries colors at WC events or even the national series in a different country? I understand the racers aren't really racing for their country unless it's Worlds, but still, it's an international event...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Stik so did they used to wear their countries colors at WC events or even the national series in a different country? I understand the racers aren't really racing for their country unless it's Worlds, but still, it's an international event...
I had our entire team kit designed around the USA theme, because Leigh and Brian won all the titles, I thought it was only fitting. That was our jersey for everything...XC, slalom, training, racing, etc...I went overboard-the bikes, clothing, trailer, shirts, hats, etc...

If we use the age old motocross argument ;) those guys don't run a USA themed kit unless its motocross des nations or something...guys racing the euro GP's just run their sponsor kit-no flag affiliation on them.

cuasidh

Chimp
Aug 18, 2002
santiago, chile
Just a medium sized fish in a small pond.
are you sure about that?

i see some great riders in the podium and top 10 also... (i´m not european, or american, but you can see it was a great competition, he made a great time. He came once to Chile and he didn´t do very good down here, so it´s really good seeing him on the podium, showing that he still can ride great)

Elite men
1. Duncan Riffle (USA) 3:06,5.
2. Matthew Scoles (NZL) 0:01,8.
3. Ben Reid (IRL) 0:02,5.
4. Benny Strasser (GER) 0:06,5.
5. Marcel Beer (SUI) 0:08,1.
6. Lars Peyer (SUI) 0:08,2.
7. Dominik Gspan (SUI) 0:08,2.
8. Fabien Pedemanaud (FRA) 0:08,3.
9. Will Rischbreth (AUS) 0:11,1.
10. Loïc Delteil (FRA) 0:11,8.

and a couple weeks ago, he was second behind blekinsop by less than a second! (ixs dirt masters) .. so, it´s a great result too

results of ixs dirt masters on winterberg, germany

but,¿¿ "american proud" ??, just as dirtmag said on it´s website "Sam Blenkinsop took the win with Duncan Riffle in 2nd (shouldn't he have been at the US Open?), Marcus Klausmann 3rd and Joe Barnes 4th.

let´s see how he does on fortwilliam..

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
, just as dirtmag said on it´s website "Sam Blenkinsop took the win with Duncan Riffle in 2nd (shouldn't he have been at the US Open?)
i guess he figured if Hill, Fairclough, Atkinson, Smith, Atherton were all going to be there, he'd have a better chance of placing well at another event.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
i guess he figured if Hill, Fairclough, Atkinson, Smith, Atherton were all going to be there, he'd have a better chance of placing well at another event.
Sorry boys but Duncan doesn't stand a chance against the WC elite. But look on the bright side, Americans dominate snowboarding and NASCAR. That's it I think. We make a great burger too!

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
riffle had a 12 place in africa, 26 in la bresse, and is 19th overall. I would say that's pretty good. I would expect another top 20 result in ft william. he's sitting above bryceland, lehikoinen, kovarik, rennie, so I would say he's competing with the elite.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
maybe it's just me but i prefer to read that

"steve beat sam in andorra" over "Mr Peat from the UK won in front of the Autralian Mr. Hill"

in other words i dont care where they come from as long as they haul ass and are fun and interesting persons..

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Sorry boys but Duncan doesn't stand a chance against the WC elite. But look on the bright side, Americans dominate snowboarding and NASCAR. That's it I think. We make a great burger too!
I'd say 2 top 20's in the big pond with the big fish makes you elite.......in any sport.

I also think I would have rather seen him compete in the open.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
traded a few emails with Duncan before the Open, the big reason for him not being at the Open was $$. Obviously cheaper to stay in Europa for a few weeks or so instead of bouncing back and forth across the pond.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
HAHAHHA

1 2 Villopoto, Ryan USA AMA Kawasaki 36:14.798 16 0:00.000 0:00.000 2:05.829 1 43.83
2 9 Ramon, Steve BEL FMB Suzuki 36:39.430 16 0:24.632 0:24.632 2:07.238 3 43.34

How old was Ryan then? Oh James won also.

1 1 Carmichael, Ricky USA AMA Suzuki 36:41.390 16 0:00.000 0:00.000 2:11.357 4 42.64
2 3 Ferry, Tim USA AMA Kawasaki 36:53.138 16 0:11.748 0:11.748 2:13.241 3 42.42

See that 11 second gap between 1st and 2nd. Yeah we suck pretty bad.:crazy:

Cycling yeah sure. but MX,SX we have the upper hand.