Quantcast

Where to go to school?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
So it's that time to begin to look at where to go to college. Yes, I am going to get an education but reality is, I'm looking for a school with a great downhill team. Any suggestions? Are there even such things as any scholarships for dh?

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
check out CU Boulder and Fort Lewis. CU Boulder has more licensed racers than any other school on the country...a fairly competetive and A team and real coaches...also, I go there

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
No scholarships, but I'd say Western (B'ham). Great DH team, great school, Galbraith a short ride from campus and an easy drive to Whistler.

Or WSU or Idaho. Palouse Dirt Riders (guys from both schools) are Monkeys and great guys and their "home" training resort is Silver Mtn.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sweet! That second link of Beasts is when I started looking into coming to North America for Grad school. DHanamal suggested I look into a programme at Cu Boulder. In the end, they wanted me to jump through too many hoops, but I'm now here at UBC, looking across to the Shore and with Whistler only two hours up the road. Sometimes, things happen for a reason! :thumb:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
can being fast help you get into a school? sayyyy for example you have a 2.7 gpa and win the occasional jr x race. can that give you any pull?

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Lindsey Wilson, and Union College both in KY offer scholarships and all the events are paid for to DH riders...Both teams are ranked high in their respective divisions and both have full time coaches...Lindsey Wilson has a super nice Dual Slalom and 4X course along with a ton of Dirt Jumps and the Lousiville BMX is not far away either....

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Lindsey Wilson, and Union College both in KY offer scholarships and all the events are paid for to DH riders...Both teams are ranked high in their respective divisions and both have full time coaches...Lindsey Wilson has a super nice Dual Slalom and 4X course along with a ton of Dirt Jumps and the Lousiville BMX is not far away either....
That's fn' awesome!

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
University of Tennessee Knoxville. Windrock is pimp and tuition / living expenses really low or NAU. A little AZ is reall good for ya. Train in Sedona all winter, Flag in the summer. All really good DH riding.

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
A friend of mine chose a school in Vancouver BC because of the riding. I forget what school but he ride with all the North Shore guys and really stepped his game up. But if you can get a scholarship or have events paid for by the school thats great. Goof Luck, go fast take chances!

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Lindsey is basicly in BFE, which has its Pros and Cons. I went there as an XC rider, but hung with the slalom crew. You will improve a ton just by riding with those guys. That and the team is as big as anyother team on campus, which is nice. The Cons, its BFE Ky. You get bored, which means getting into a lot of trouble. There are very few trails close by, but Pisgah is only 5hrs away which is nice for spring break and non-race weekends.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
University of Montana. Great local riding, 4 big resorts within 2 hours (big sky, silver which is plain nasty mc tit sauce, schweitzer, and beacon) and tons and tons of freeride and dh trails all over the place

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Already going to WVU in the fall, so this is kinda too late to influence my decision, but does anybody know what the FR or DJ scene around Morgantown is? I kinda doubt there is much DH, but if there is, then that's even more up my alley.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
University of Montana. Great local riding, 4 big resorts within 2 hours (big sky, silver which is plain nasty mc tit sauce, schweitzer, and beacon) and tons and tons of freeride and dh trails all over the place
Silver is great; Schweitzer has only one trail - - the old NORBA Nats course. Beacon is not a resort - -it's two (albeit very cool) 2-minute DH runs and a lot of great regular trails.

I have a question though: What are things like at Big Mountain? It's been a few years but it seemed like they were laying out some good DH stuff and had just built this humungous 4X track. Is it still a going concern?

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
You should consider the whole situation, not just which school has the best or biggest team. If you ride DH and that's really what you want to focus on, you will probably want to be near lift-accessed riding. You can find that most reliably in Colorado and British Columbia. If you're a US citizen, you probably want to go to school in the US as well. Colorado might have nice trails, but you won't be able to ride them during the school year, because the DH will mostly be covered with snow (and skiers). California has riding all year, great weather, and a good selection of schools. Might want to look at Claremont McKenna, UCSB, UCSC, UCSD, Stanford (if you think you've got a shot)...etc.

Also take into account that you will spending the majority of the time actually at school. Pick a place that has the activities that you like and the a good selection of classes that complement your major. It wouldn't make much sense to go to a school with only one Bio class if you want to be pre-med, or a school with no finance classes if you want to go to Business School.

Good luck.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
University of Florida has the #4 ranked gravity team in the country.

seriously......

if youre looking for scholarships though check out lees mcrae, in banner elk NC (down the road from Sugar ski resort where the NORBA national is). They offer scholarships and recently were trying to recruit a bunch of gravity guys (because the coach couldnt handle his boys losing to UF kids). They have a DS and DH cuorse on campus, sugar is down the road, and theres a buch of decent riding within a couple hour drive. the downside is that the school only has 800 some odd students (the cycling team is like 10% of the entire school), is also in BFE (something like a 35+ minute drive to boone, which is the closest thing to a city up there), and their coach is kind of a douche. but if youre looking for college money for riding bikes its one of the few options.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
big mtn blows as of now. they can only have trails on the part of the mtn they own which is like the bottom 1/4 mile. the top is great training 16 miles of turns and fast sections to pedal and tuck. silver is plain out the best place i have ridden hold for whistler. beacon has expanded a bit and has a more trails. also the guy who is trying to open the lolo ski resort has had us cutting bike trails up there all last summer and this summer

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
University of Florida has the #4 ranked gravity team in the country.

seriously......

if youre looking for scholarships though check out lees mcrae, in banner elk NC (down the road from Sugar ski resort where the NORBA national is). They offer scholarships and recently were trying to recruit a bunch of gravity guys (because the coach couldnt handle his boys losing to UF kids). They have a DS and DH cuorse on campus, sugar is down the road, and theres a buch of decent riding within a couple hour drive. the downside is that the school only has 800 some odd students (the cycling team is like 10% of the entire school), is also in BFE (something like a 35+ minute drive to boone, which is the closest thing to a city up there), and their coach is kind of a douche. but if youre looking for college money for riding bikes its one of the few options.

Lees Mcrae would be a good place to start if you're looking for a good gravity program. Boone is only like 20 minutes away, and theres mass shuttling to be done within a 30 minute drive. Plus they're hosting the collegiate nationals in banner elk in the fall.

buuut, if you're looking for a more "fun" school, Appalachian State is right down the road and has a lot more going on with the same riding in the area, just less of a racing program.

HTnickS

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
North Bend WAShington
Go to Western its in state and plus theres a huge riding scene up there and the college has a team thats pretty big. The team pays for alot of event fees and has other sponsorships also.

heggler9

Chimp
Feb 26, 2005
louisville, ky
hey man, i just went through all this this year, so im just waiting on decisions now. riding was a huge influence in all my decisions, so this list might help... UCSC, UCSB, UC-Boulder, Colorado College, Lewis and Clark College, U of Washington, Dartmouth, UBC, George Washington U, and U of Puget Sound. also, living in Ky ive got a bunch of friends that went to Lindsey Wilson that i ride with, and their program is rad. good luck

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I still have a few years before college but I'm starting to look into it as well. I want to co somewhere with good riding. I was thinking along the lines of CU, Colorado College, UCSC, UCSB but who knows at this point, I will prolly just apply to all of those. CU would be great but the winters can be kinda a drag. It seems there been more snow in the foot hills this year than years past. Usualy you can ride more.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
i live in seattle so am spoiled by the riding here. i looked at western today and thought it was ok and may be a good choice. ill be checking out co. over spring break. thanks for all the help guys! if you have any other options let me know.

big mtn blows as of now. they can only have trails on the part of the mtn they own which is like the bottom 1/4 mile. the top is great training 16 miles of turns and fast sections to pedal and tuck. silver is plain out the best place i have ridden hold for whistler. beacon has expanded a bit and has a more trails. also the guy who is trying to open the lolo ski resort has had us cutting bike trails up there all last summer and this summer
Im going to MSU Bozeman and im stoked about bigsky and bridger being within 45 min away.