Quantcast

Where's the noise??? (Hadley Hub)

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
So, i finally got my Hadleys laced to the Mavic 729's...

something is missing.....

where the F#$%@#$ is the Rear hub noise...?

arent these hubs supposed to make you 25% faster by making you feel like a rattle snake is behind you?

did i got a "stealth" hub?

or, is it the breaking-in period???? (please let this be temporal)

i got a 12x150 rear..Ti body 108 points of eng.....

discuss...:help:

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
that makes me feel a lot better.....

since 98.9% of the reason i got hadleys.... was the noise... jejejejejeje

i know, i know... im a poser

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have a Chris King and I have been riding it for about 6 months now and it still isnt fully broken in. But it sure does sound cool.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My CK hub took about a month till it made some noise. My Hadleys should be here in a few weeks and Ill get to see how long it takes them to be nice and noisey.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Hadleys take a while to break in, one day you'll be riding along and the hub will become loud. I have found Hadley's need a yearly rebuild if you ride often in less than ideal conditions.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
all new bike parts need to be broken in, just ride awhile, maybe a trail or two and it should be fine. Hadleys don't make a bad product

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have a Hadley rear hub and it makes very little noise. I've had it for 6 months and ridden a lot too, plus it was used when I got it. Maybe they make a quiet one?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no it matters on what hadley hub lube/grease was used.
also what engagement it is.

aslong as it works correctly, i don't care if it makes the noise or not.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
ive had a 108 and a 36 and the 36 are louder, the 108 have a nice sound though. mine took a good amount of time to break in and start buzzing. but i think the 36 sounds cooler.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
kings have grease in them so they take forever to get loud (run out of grease), hadleys just have oil in them, so its much faster to get some noise out of them. and about servicing them, only takes five munites. its soo easy... just did mine today, again. :blah: just unscrew the shaft, and slowly take out the free hub, then just wash everthing in some sort of cleaner, put it back together with some oil in it. best part is the ratchet doesn't fly out when you take out the freehub.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How does the 108 compare to the 36? Engagement quickness? Strength and reliability? Any info? I just ordered a 108.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
it angages 3 times faster=near instant engagement. as for durability, like everyone has been saying here, no problem. there would be slight more drag then the 36 model..thats all.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Kanter said:
How does the 108 compare to the 36? Engagement quickness? Strength and reliability? Any info? I just ordered a 108.
I use one for XC laced to an X823 with bolts (no qr). Basically instant engagement. I've had mine for over a year and have had no reliability issues at all. Granted, it's only been for XC and trails but I ride a decent amount, I am not a small guy (near 190) and I ride in rocky and muddy NE terrain. I would certainly get another Hadley. As a bonus, it sounds great. I like the buzz

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
mine ran out of lube pretty quick then, I have to get the service tools soon anyway, I guess I'll have to give em a lubin

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
my 108pt hub has been loud since day one. I've got a buddy that's put a ton of miles on his (trans-alp kinda stuff) and his is almost silent, prolly ready for a rebuild I'd suspect.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Castle said:
mine ran out of lube pretty quick then, I have to get the service tools soon anyway, I guess I'll have to give em a lubin
if you have a qr rear hub its danm easy...just need a couple of 5mm allens.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
well, this morning my hub started to come alive for a few seconds then back to "silent" again....

i hope it will become anoyingly loud soon.... so i can pose even more....

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I just laced up my new 108 yesterday and it was way quiet. Today I wiped off a little of the oil (not too much) and its a nice smooth loud buzz.