Quantcast

Which air shock????

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm trying to decide which air shock to put on my Faith. I'm using the bike for trail/freeride now, and am trying to decide between the DHX-air Rocco wc, Rocco TST or Manitou Evolver.
Anybody know of some distributors with good deals on any those shocks???
I know people claim the Rocco feels the most "coil like" which is nice, but not completely necessary as the bike will only be used for DH if I break my DH bike. I also hear that Fox has solved the reliability issues with the DHX air.

Thoughts????

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just recently got to try the new X fusion air DH shock. They sent me one to try out on the 224, and I have to say, I was impressed. It lacks a lot of the stiction you expect in an air shock, and ramps up nicely. Most importantly, it didn't blow up in a few runs.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
NO, do not put an air shock on your bike.

Why??????????? You realise I have a DH bike, and this bike (Faith) I will be using for trail riding, and freeride. Perfect for a Air shock. No long days of DH shuttles for this bike. I'm on a mission to get the bike down to a reasonable weight......36 pounds or so without compromising strength. My current steel sprung DHX weighs just over 900 grams so I can drop a full pound by running a resevoir air shock............and not loose any performance.

Transcend........Air the X Fusion shocks available???? If so then who is distributing them?

Cheers

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
The ISX-6 Evolver is a sick shock. Can't afford one, but the ones that I have tried on friends' bikes have all felt quite impressive. Online reviews have been good too.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I own the Evolver ISX-6 and I can vouch for it being a sweet piece. To me, it seems like whoever it was that fronted the Revox/Evolver project over at Manitou did their job well -- both these products outperform and are better-engineered than everything else (before the revamped Dorado) in their lineup.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
another vote for the ISX-6. Its a little sticky compared to my CCDB, but I don't notice it when comparing it to other shocks, and it feels damn good. Lots of adjustability that works correctly. Feels good at high speed and low. Doesn't blow through travel. Tracks well. Doesn't bottom out harsh. Is predictable on longer descents.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've had contact with both evolver and dhx and unless you want to tune the dhx go with evolver. My mojo dhx feels better now but I'm not uber impressed with it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've only ridden DHX air and The Roco WC Air, and hands down Roco Air. At one point Bullcrew had 2 canfields, one with a Roco coil one with the air. They more or less felt identical, aside from a tiny bit of stiction at the very beginning of the stroke on the air, which you don't notice riding once you're into the sag of the shock. He's a big dude and he railed on it with no issues. Maybe he'll chime in.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I've only ridden DHX air and The Roco WC Air, and hands down Roco Air. At one point Bullcrew had 2 canfields, one with a Roco coil one with the air. They more or less felt identical, aside from a tiny bit of stiction at the very beginning of the stroke on the air, which you don't notice riding once you're into the sag of the shock. He's a big dude and he railed on it with no issues. Maybe he'll chime in.
+1 loved the roco air on my mini-dh.. way better than the dhx air that it came with.

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
i was in your shoes a couple months ago and after thinkign long and hard, doing some research and trying out a few shocks, i finally ordered an ISX6... Looks very promising... Though when i tried out the ISX6, it was only bouncing around in the parking lot, that should say a lot... XD

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I just recently got to try the new X fusion air DH shock. They sent me one to try out on the 224, and I have to say, I was impressed. It lacks a lot of the stiction you expect in an air shock, and ramps up nicely. Most importantly, it didn't blow up in a few runs.
What he said. I'm very impressed with X-Fusion's new shocks (and forks, might I add). I'll be running an H3LT on my SX Trail I'm building up.

Looks baller, and if it performs even remotely as well as my O2RC did, I'll be a very, very happy camper.

Just in case you were curious:

(Yes, I'm well aware that there is no way to add air into the bottom-out canister without removing the shock... or is there? By simply removing the axle-bolt, and the two lower bolts for the flip-chip, the shock drops just low enough to run a shock-pump hose through the hole in the seatstay. Sure, it'll take about 2 minutes to remove three bolts, but it is totally do-able.)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey Mike, I have the same SXT as you! I've been thinking about putting an air shock on it, but wasn't sure about clearance. Do you know if any other shocks will fit?

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Why??????????? You realise I have a DH bike, and this bike (Faith) I will be using for trail riding, and freeride. Perfect for a Air shock. No long days of DH shuttles for this bike. I'm on a mission to get the bike down to a reasonable weight......36 pounds or so without compromising strength. My current steel sprung DHX weighs just over 900 grams so I can drop a full pound by running a resevoir air shock............and not loose any performance.

Transcend........Air the X Fusion shocks available???? If so then who is distributing them?

Cheers
PM me and I can get you into contact with the right person.

I have the H3LT on my 303-R and just received the HLR Coil! Both the air and coil feel and ride fantastic! I have raced the H3LT Air at many events without an issue.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
So ISX-6, Rocco WC AIr and The X Fusion are the contenders.
I guess at this point it would come down to availability and prices. I can't wait to get this bike down to 35 pounds or so and run over guys in Spandex at XC races........yes I will be racing my Faith at XC races!!!!!! I'll be slower on climbs but our course are rough and I'll make time in other places. I'ttl be a good break from a buisy DH season.

Thanks for the help.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
X-Fusion stuff is bullet proof, and as leery as most people are of their reliability, I've had nothing but good experiences with their products. There's no need to fear any of their suspension components. After getting time on their O2RC, another one of their rear shocks (can't remember the name) and the Vengeance, I'm thoroughly impressed. I'll soon have time on their H3LT on my SX Trail, as well. The only X-Fusion bits I have yet to ride are the Velvet (which is a proven 4x fork) and the HLR Coil.

Call up John Valera at X-Fusion - 408-866-0188.

He'll set you up with what you need.

hey Mike, I have the same SXT as you! I've been thinking about putting an air shock on it, but wasn't sure about clearance. Do you know if any other shocks will fit?
I know that most came stock with a 5th Element with upward-mounted external reservoir. The later models came with a pre-set bottom-out reservoir that was not adjustable. This was a limited run shock for the SX Trail with a 9"x2.75 setup. Try to find one of those, even used, and you'll go crazy. The next best thing is to go with the H3LT, or a standard Fox DHX 3.0, Vanilla Coil, or DHX 5.0 and be willing to do the bolt-removal thing to set up bottom out air. Oh, and we tried to fit an HLR Coil from X-Fusion, but the reservoir didn't even come close to clearing the seat-tube port.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Damn, I'm converting my SX-T into an XC machine and that H3LT looks miiiiighty tasty. How much would that run for?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Call up John at X-Fusion and tell him Mike Buchanan sent you. He'll be more than happy to help (but he might be on vacation today and tomorrow... I can't remember).

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Are there any differences between the 09 and 08 Rocco WC's?????? There's some good deals on brand new 2008 Rocco WC Air's on Ebay. What is the weight of the Rocco????

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
So after talking to my LBS......they gave me a smoking deal on a 2009 Roco Air WC.......great. It comes in today and F'n thing wont fit the Faith!!!!!!! The body of the shock is much taller then a coil shock and hits the frame slightly forward and above the front mount. I switched the bushings and tried running it with the resevoir at the back mount and the piggyback hits the frame when the suspension compresses.
Does anybody have a DHX-air on a Faith???? My shop can get me one of those for even cheaper then the Roco.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
IMO, you won't be happy with the performance of a DHX-air; they notoriously suck. Had one, hated it
I have four rides in on an ISX6 on my trailbike, and I'm pretty fricken pleased with it. I don't think it will give you any clearance issues.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
IMO, you won't be happy with the performance of a DHX-air; they notoriously suck. Had one, hated it
I have four rides in on an ISX6 on my trailbike, and I'm pretty fricken pleased with it. I don't think it will give you any clearance issues.
2 problems with Manitou: 1st one is they require different hardware, and the 2nd is that Trident is the Canadian distributor. They are notoriuosly brutal when it comes to servicing anything they sell. Its too bad as I hear great things about that shock. I might just have to sac up and get one.
How would I get the proper hardware to run the manitou????

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
unfortunately my lbs has no distributor for the x-fusion stuff or
i'd be tempted to give it a go. As it is I think I'm going to go for the ISx-6 evolver, as long as it is available as well as the hardware.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
unfortunately my lbs has no distributor for the x-fusion stuff or
i'd be tempted to give it a go. As it is I think I'm going to go for the ISx-6 evolver, as long as it is available as well as the hardware.
let your bikeshop know they can call us at x-fusion to order you a h3... No minimum order so they can just call us up and order 1 shock at a time. Our shock has a 2 year warranty as well. Could be a good fit for freshening up your bike.

(408)866-0188

cheers

-John Hauer

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
let your bikeshop know they can call us at x-fusion to order you a h3... No minimum order so they can just call us up and order 1 shock at a time. Our shock has a 2 year warranty as well. Could be a good fit for freshening up your bike.

(408)866-0188

cheers

-John Hauer
Hmmmmmm. What is the weight of the H3LT????? Price????? Whats the DL on the specs and adjustments? Compression, rebound, pro-pedal and bottom out?????

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
Hmmmmmm. What is the weight of the H3LT????? Price????? Whats the DL on the specs and adjustments? Compression, rebound, pro-pedal and bottom out?????
H3 and H3 LT
msrp: $479.99
weight: 364 grams (thats in a 7.875 so the larger sizes will be a few grams more)
Adjustments are...
-Rebound Adjustment
-Power Valve Adjustment ( like a propedal, it adjusts your low speed compression from full open to nearly closed in a span of 4 settings)
-air pressure in main chamber and piggy back
-Piggy Back air Volume adjustment (controls where in the stroke your shock ramps up
- In sizes of 7.875 or shorter the H3 has a separate on off lockout switch.

motostu93

Chimp
Sep 16, 2007
santa barbara, CA
giant faith's FTW:D

but yeah faith's ride great and i have a dhx coil on mine and i love it but back on topic, i would go with a dhx air theve been around for a while and seem to be very good

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Throwing my $0.02 in for X-Fusion - along with the awesome performance of their stuff, their CS is awesome.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'll have another X Fusion shock this week to test out on the new Orange Strange bike this season. 10.5 x 3.5 coil. I'll report back after the initial rip around on it in Scotland next week.