Quantcast

Which Bike for the Megavalanche?

paulm

Chimp
Oct 7, 2007
london, UK
Hi All,

I know this has been asked a few times, and the general answer seems to be a 160mm travel bike is recommended - which is neatly in between the two bikes I have.

So, I can either ride a Cannondale Prophet with a 130mm lefty MAX and a Fox DHX 4.0 coil on the back (140mm travel). wheels are UST running 8" rotors. I've used this bike for a week in the alps before, so it's 'robust' enough not to self-destruct even if the fork oil overheats a bit and the suspension gets quite stiff. I've riden courses like the Swiss National DH on it and didn't find it too bad, although a lot slower than a DH bike....

or, my DH bike.... a Cannondale judge with a double chain ring on the front.
bike is lightened as much as possible (gravity lite cranks, light seatpost/bars/cassette etc and Hope/EX827 UST wheels) running a marz 07 RCX2 888 and DHX 5.0 coil.

I've not done the Mega before, but I've been to the alps many times and used to race XC a few years back so I'm in it for a decent time rather than just to survive it!

I'm leaning towards the DH bike as a safer first-timer option, but I would like to do the most compeditive time I can. I've heard some guys qualify on a DH bike and race on a smaller travel bike. I'll be taking both bikes over to the alps as I'll be there for a couple of weeks anyway...

Any guidance from race 'veterans' would be most appreciated :-)

May 6, 2004
That's my Jedi in 09 Megavalanche setup :)

It might be overkill for Mega, but I will be there for something like 2 weeks and I can only take one bike so this is what I am taking. I am a little bit worried about the gearing for Mega's uplift sections but the best I can do is 32t front and 12-34 rear cassette.
Hope this helps.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
This is ozzemales bike, change the 3 ring set up to maybe a 2 ring or chain guide and its perfect imo

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
It depends on what you want from your mega experience. If your going on a biking holiday and taking in the race for the experience and just want to finish bring the DH bike as it will be way more fun. If on the other hand you want to get a good result the prophet will be the bike to use. The climbs are long drags so the dh bike is a right pain in the ass. However for the riding over the course of the Mega week, the qualifier course and if your taking in the sprint race. The Dh bike will be what your looking for.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
First I will say I have not experinced the Mega,But if I was in your position I would see if I could come up with a Fox Talas 36 for the Prophet.You did say you wanted to do well and we all know races are won on the climbs(if that is part of the race).

paulm

Chimp
Oct 7, 2007
london, UK
It depends on what you want from your mega experience. If your going on a biking holiday and taking in the race for the experience and just want to finish bring the DH bike as it will be way more fun. If on the other hand you want to get a good result the prophet will be the bike to use. The climbs are long drags so the dh bike is a right pain in the ass. However for the riding over the course of the Mega week, the qualifier course and if your taking in the sprint race. The Dh bike will be what your looking for.
I'll be riding the week before in Morzine/Les Getz then driving down for the quali on thursday. Is there somewhere I can get an elevation map of the course?

Might be best to do this year on the DH bike and set a benchmark time for next year, better to be over-suspended than out of my depth for the first time I guess!

paulm

Chimp
Oct 7, 2007
london, UK
First I will say I have not experinced the Mega,But if I was in your position I would see if I could come up with a Fox Talas 36 for the Prophet.You did say you wanted to do well and we all know races are won on the climbs(if that is part of the race).
Funny, this is *exactly* what I've been trying to do - find a FOX 36 for the race. money and logistics might not allow, but I guess it would be the perfect compromomise.

Seems Fox forks hold their value too well on ebay atm! and I'd prefer one in a 1.5 steerer which seems quite rare.

I guess I'm not clear on how much of the Mega is climbing vs steep decending... hence the question as to which of the two bikes is likely to work better.

thanks for the reply...

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'll be riding the week before in Morzine/Les Getz then driving down for the quali on thursday. Is there somewhere I can get an elevation map of the course?

Might be best to do this year on the DH bike and set a benchmark time for next year, better to be over-suspended than out of my depth for the first time I guess!
Do that. A bike built for AM is perfect for the Mega, but won't hold up to a week's riding in the super choppy/rutted runs at Les Gets.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Do that. A bike built for AM is perfect for the Mega, but won't hold up to a week's riding in the super choppy/rutted runs at Les Gets.
Id second that. About 3 of the 32k are uphill but more long drags than super steep climbs. On the steep parts of the climbs you'll be glad of the break and the rest while u walk. No matter how fit or strong you are the race is tough as hell. Les Gets and Morzine will destroy your bike if you take the Prophet.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
He did say he was taking both bikes.I think what he races is a seperate issue than riding LesGets.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Funny, this is *exactly* what I've been trying to do - find a FOX 36 for the race. money and logistics might not allow, but I guess it would be the perfect compromomise.

Seems Fox forks hold their value too well on ebay atm! and I'd prefer one in a 1.5 steerer which seems quite rare.

I guess I'm not clear on how much of the Mega is climbing vs steep decending... hence the question as to which of the two bikes is likely to work better.

thanks for the reply...
I did not know that the 36 came in a 1.5 option.Maybe a non-US thing.Another option would be a Lyric.Let us know what you did decide to do and how it went.

May 6, 2004

"paulm"
Where are you located in London?

paulm

Chimp
Oct 7, 2007
london, UK
if he is taking 2 bikes its a no brainer. Prophet all the way for the race.
I'm a pretty smooth rider and seldom puncture or break stuff, so sounds like the prophet might be the best bike...

Will time a few runs when I'm in morzine down some of the longer DH courses like the pleny and see how much slower I am on the prophet - I expect there wont be much of a gap compared to the time I'll make up in the climbs on a light bike.

I'm assuming there isn't anything particularly unridable for a AM bike on the mega course?!

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
I second the idea of the Profit with the Talas 36, a 36 had been on our wish list for a couple of years and we are really pleased with the results this season. We used a reducer and the 1 1/8th steer tube. Have fun.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I'm a pretty smooth rider and seldom puncture or break stuff, so sounds like the prophet might be the best bike...

Will time a few runs when I'm in morzine down some of the longer DH courses like the pleny and see how much slower I am on the prophet - I expect there wont be much of a gap compared to the time I'll make up in the climbs on a light bike.

I'm assuming there isn't anything particularly unridable for a AM bike on the mega course?!
no there isn't so you should be fine on the prophet. a couple of spots you might be wishing you were on a downhill bike purely so you could go faster, but that's about it, you'll be glad you have it on the climbs!
the prophet will be spot on.

Nozzes

Chimp
Mar 10, 2009
I'm going for my 7th Megavalanche,and this year with a DH bike.
Why?
-I want to enjoy a full week of riding (planing on doing some 200km,monday to sunday) without separate my flesh from my bones in a short travel bike.
-I need a bike that can saves me from some mistakes,and can hold a "not so good but it'll have to do" passing line on the rocky parts.
-I believe that the start of both the qualifying and the Mega are half the battle.Get a good start and hang on,don't die on the climbs,and you'll get a good result.
-My best result at the Mega was 6th in the Mega Promo,back in 2005.I rode a Giant ATX-One DH.I started in the first row,there was very litlle snow on the glacier,I even rode on 3th place for some time.
-The Alpe d'Huez Megavalanche isn't won on the climbs,on the flats,on the rocks,snow or roots...it's got to be everywhere!

See U at Freeride Bar!;)

Check out the 2007 video,it's the most complete I've haver seen :thumb: http://http://freecaster.tv/mtb/1003054/avalanche-trophy-alpehuez

paulm

Chimp
Oct 7, 2007
london, UK
So how did it go?

Started with a week in Morzine riding the DH bike and loving it. Drove down on thursday afternoon having spent the day before ripping up 'les gets 1' or the chavanne as I call it on my prophet and feeling confident it would be the right bike for the mega.

Well, I've riden a lot in the alps in Mozrine, but nothing quite prepares you for Alpe D'Huez, it's a very intimidating course! quite steep in places and technical, which is fine to ride, but racing with 200-400 other riders? could be tricky!

First up, I rode the qualifier from the 2nd half down on my prophet with a pro (started front row of the mega in 2007 and has done 8 of them). it was quite technical and didn't look like a lot of places to pass - this was going to be interesting! Also very dusty and hard to see what your riding over - cue huge face plant after the wheel hit a large root. smashed the visor on my helmet and a mouth full of dust, but no other damage.

Got a lift up to the top part of the qualifier, The top of the course is well laid out to spread the riders a bit - open with plenty of lines to choose from. The top half rode great on the prophet as it was tight and twisty, although pretty bumpy - the course was very cut up with lots of brick-sized rocks littering the corners. lots of prophets but with Fox 140-160mm forks - ideal I think for next year!

got to the bottom and decided to do a run on the DH bike as there was only one short climb on the Q course, went back to the top of the qualifier. Had a huge stack on the ladders and smashed my full-face. Got up and thought I was ok, got on the bike and rode off only to get random shooting pains in my shoulder - pinched a nerve? - crashed off my bike two more times as the pain made me let go of the bars... this wasn't looking good.

So that was the end of that - can't lift a bike never mind ride it! - wasn't in a great deal of pain, so I was lucky, but very frustrated I couldn't ride :( Didn't get a chance to ride any of the race course.

Watched my mates who both qualified for the Promo, one finished in the 70's and the other had some technical problems and finished mid-pack.

loads of injuries and broken bikes.

So... for next year, if i could only use one bike, the prophet would be it with a larger travel fork - ideally a fox 36. i think the DH bike would have helped a little in the qualifier, but not a huge amount.

Looks like a fantastic and unique event - was gutted to be watching and taken photos instead of having a go. next year!

How did you other guys get on?