Quantcast

which bike would u choose?

Phatswalla

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Seattle, WA
The Raleigh looks like it has nicer components and disc brakes...

I don't know much about either company but I'd definately find out more about their customer service and warranty.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Phatswalla
The Raleigh looks like it has nicer components and disc brakes...

I don't know much about either company but I'd definately find out more about their customer service and warranty.
I would go with the Raleigh. Haro's always struck me as being crappy. You may also want to look at the Giant Iguana Disc, it is in the same price range and Giant always gives a good value.

ryn_v

Chimp
Aug 24, 2003
thanks guys...i'm thinkin the m-80, too...so far. the one thing i do like about the giant iguna disc is that it has a better fork. The componetry level isn't quite as good otherwise compared to the m-80

ryn_v

Chimp
Aug 24, 2003
Yah...here's what i'm struggling with. I live in Arizona where u would think, "i def don't need disc." but there probably will be times where i will go up north in the mtns where it will be wetter. I like the fork better on the haro and it has an xt rear derailer. The m-80 is '04. Well here's what i'm thinkin. Disc brakes would cost a lot more to add, than an upgrade to the rear derailer (from lx to xt) So that's a major adv for the Raleigh...but the haro seems like it has a better fork, and those cost a LOT more to upgrade so i'm kinda back to square one.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You will not need to upgrade the RR from LX to XT - there is very little difference. Once you have had disks you will realize there is no other way to go.

EDIT: The Judy TT is an OK fork that you can work with - I had an old 1997 Judy XC that really wasn't half bad. I gave it to friend who still rides it today. It's a durable fork.

The Manitou Axel is a POS - way more so than the Judy.

It looks like you are looking for the best deal on an entry level XC hardtail - in my opinion the M-80 is the best deal and it's not a bad frame.

Also - from the spec list I cannot think of anything that will need upgraded anytime soon. The is nothing wrong with Deore or Deore LX.

ryn_v

Chimp
Aug 24, 2003
what about the fork difference tho? the haro has manitou axel comp 100 mm of travel....the m-80 has judy tt.

ryn_v

Chimp
Aug 24, 2003
i wouldn't mind, but what's the best way to go about doing it? i couldn't find much in the paper so far...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Look through the Buy & Sell here. There is probably a good buy there and most people are trustworthy. Ebay has some good deals too.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Is this your first mountain bike? If so don't go used until you know what you are looking for. $520.00 is not a lot of bling - and you have the advantage having a shop behind you to give you advice and make sure the bike is set up correctly.

BTW - You do not need 100mm on either of those frames. I run 80 on my Y-22 and 100 on my XTC. For XC purposes the 80 is a better choice. Remember this will not be your last mountain bike.

zazen

Chimp
Dec 2, 2001
san francisco
for that kind of money you can find VERY nice hardtails on ebay

I've seen mint konas like the Mulimula go for less than 400.

If you feel confortable with it or can get help you can also build your own bike with used components.

But you need patience and a bit of luck :(

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by ryn_v
PLEASE help me, i need to know fast...

Haro V-4 on sale for 460
http://www.harobikes.com/2003/v4.html

or
Raleigh 2004 M-80 for 520
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=152

I can't decide...someone help me....:(

I need to choose by thur or fri

thanks
Hey ryn_v,

Just a thought. Specialized Hard Rock. I picked one of these up(I got the "Pro" model). It isn't super light but I am impressed with it. Spec has more XC oriented HT at the same price range also.....have you looked at these?

Judy TT has 100mm of travel...this fork is only spring/bumper no damping. Ireplaced the cranks because I am HUGE and went Chromoly 3 peice.

To my new HT thread........

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Ooops forgot. I saw a 2004 model in a local bike shop and it is better than mine.

they give you alu flat pedals, SunSingle track rims, a stronger stem, a brace at the rear brake drop out, and a cool charcol to gray flame paint job. Really a clean looking bike.

ryn_v

Chimp
Aug 24, 2003
one thing i'm wondering about between the 2 bikes i mentioned is the m-80 has a "6061 Atomic 13 Aluminum Mountain AT"(i think the sales rep said it was "double butted") frame, and the haro has a "ICS V-tech 7005 custom butted Alloy w/ rear disc tabs" frame

do u know which one would be better/lighter?

yah, this is my first bike. I know i could get better value used. but in some ways i do like having a shop to back me up. I will check ebay some more tho

Thanks

D

dwnwrd

I got a 2000 M-80 as my first MTB and it has held up really well. I did have to warranty the fork when the brake boss go screwed up, and wound up with a Pilot XC which felt better than the Manitou Magnum it came with.

Anyway, just tossing in that I was pretty happy with the M-80 and it's still in great shape. I upgraded the brakes and replaced the seat, chain, and tires since I got it. That's about it. The stock derailers are still just fine.

ryn_v

Chimp
Aug 24, 2003
Thanks everyone for the advice. I took the advice on lookin for a used bike and bought a 2002 haro ICS 5.0 for 550 shipped, which was within my budget and is a really sweet bike. The guy i bought it from said he was shipping it today. Hopefully everything works out good. let me know if u think this a good buy.

Ryan