Quantcast

which Enduro/Light Freeride rims to run?

Jun 18, 2004
so I plan on building up either an 6.6 or a Nomad... I'm gonna recyle some parts from other bikes but I know Mag 30's are gonna be way too heavy for trail riding/all mountain/ light bike park/ and commuting...

I'm gonna keep my hadley 36 hole 20mm& 135spc hubs... I'm hoping that I can make Stans or Dt's tubless kit work out...

I'm looking at Sun Singletracks, Sun Mtx, dt/swiss Ex 5.1d's and E 540's... the 540's only come in 32 hole which may or may not be a problem due to potentially selling a 36 h hub with a frame I'm getting ride of... but somebody wants to sell me a set for cheap they won in a contest...

in gear I weight around 190#'s and thought I'm getting better at not breaking parts I tend to break them...

which rims should I run?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've always liked the Rhyno Lite XLs. Good general purpose rims. For a little more beef, I've heard absolutely rave reviews about the MTX rims.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
there's lots of off brand stuff out there. i just picked up some supergo launch wheels for 140 at performance. they seem to be pretty comparable with the wheels you listed, and they're pretty bling.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
My neighbour has a set of the DT Swiss freeride/DH wheels and he is not impressed as he has dented them already. He's not that big but he does ride really hard. He's on a VPFree. I just built up a set of Stan's Freeride rims for my VPFree which I ride like an XC bike to a certain extent. Very easy to inflate non-UST tires with Stan's goo. I believe they are around 550 grams? Replaced a perfectly good set of Mavic 729 which are around 630 grams and more rim that my style required. I can't tell you how durable they are as they're new, but the design looks solid although the weld is raw.

Jun 18, 2004
oldfart said:
My neighbour has a set of the DT Swiss freeride/DH wheels and he is not impressed as he has dented them already. He's not that big but he does ride really hard. He's on a VPFree. I just built up a set of Stan's Freeride rims for my VPFree which I ride like an XC bike to a certain extent. Very easy to inflate non-UST tires with Stan's goo. I believe they are around 550 grams? Replaced a perfectly good set of Mavic 729 which are around 630 grams and more rim that my style required. I can't tell you how durable they are as they're new, but the design looks solid although the weld is raw.
thanks for the input... what do you mean when you say the weld is 'raw'?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The weld has not been filed on the outside of the rim so it's there to be seen in all it's neked beauty. Means nothing to me but some people might not like that. Update. I added a bit more tension to my wheels last night as I have a about a 10 rides on them and I have already dented one a tiny bit. I'm running too light a tire I think. A 2.6 Kenda Kinetic, no tubes just Stan's Goo. It's a very light single ply very supple sidewall kevlar bead tire though. They came with the bike but I think they'll be coming off soon for either some 2.5 Big Earl kevlars or Maxxis 2.4 Advantage. Whichever of the two tires feels stiffer will win this round.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Mavic 721 rims sound like a good fit for the bike and riding. A very tough rim and pretty light too. The Rhyno Lite is a great multi-purpose mid-weight too.
The DT rims are made of butter from most accounts.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Zark said:
The DT rims are made of butter from most accounts.
I've been riding the DT 4.1Ds on a 2004 Enduro, Hugi/Hayes 20mm front (32, 3x) and a Hugi/Hayes (135, 32, 3x) rear. They're touted as their XC rims, and I ride them on the enduro as a trail wheelset (reads no drops over 3 feet, some small airs, but mostly XC/trail riding). I'm using Stan's w/ IRC Trailbears (these tires are not truely black walls and do leek air). After the initial build and a re-tension, they've never come out of true. I'm 185#s and ride kinda floaty (vs point and bash).
The 4.1Ds resemble the old Mavic 217s, but much stiffer and slightly heavier.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hands down, 721 is the best bet. That rim is an older design but it is light and proven to hold up to World Cup level racing. MTXs are too heavy for all around riding. Rhyno XLs are a good choice if you're on more of a budget.