Quantcast

which gruppo?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Assuming my bike isn't recovered, I'll be building a new one.

What's the most cost-effective group? Weight is NOT a factor. Price and durability are.

I went with 105 9spd last time cuz it looked like the best option. Still the case? has veloce/centaur price dropped? Is SRAM cost-effective?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ah, the group is for shifters, deraileures, brakes, chain, and cassette. Still good price, especially considering the cranks are $55!

I take it some of y'all have ordered from Chucks before?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Why are you being cheap w/road components?? Planning to have it stolen again:)

You know road components last forever and don't cost that much more for the next step- except for that top step of DA or Record. When that kid gets here you'll have no time and less money....or at least less reasons to justify spending your money.

Don't support Chinese labor, especially after all Shimano and Campy do for the sport compared to SRAM.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why are you being cheap w/road components??
hello, jewish.

You know road components last forever and don't cost that much more for the next step...
Are you saying that Ultegra is, without a doubt, more durable than 105?

Don't support Chinese labor, especially after all Shimano and Campy do for the sport compared to SRAM.
I'm confused, do you think I'm buying SRAM? I'm currently looking at Shimano 105.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Some else mentionded SRAM and thought you might be tempted to convert.

If you want cheap and durable, I have an old Suntour Sprint groupo w/out brakes that I'd sell you for cheap! Ultegra isn't more durable, but it sure is prettier:)

splat

Nam I am
I have ordered from Chucks Bikes with no problem. as a matter of fact one of the items I ordered the initial color I ordered was out of stock , they emailed me and told me asked what I would like to do , I took a different color , and to make up for it they made it over night shipping!! :thumb:

after all That , go campy!! veloce/centaur works quite well.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Thanks!

Gonna stick with 105 since my commuter and wife's bike are 105.
come on...spoil yourself a little. i would at least go with Ultegra STIs if you're doing 10sp. i still do not like the feel of 105 10sp STIs.

the new Sora shifters have a trim click up front. whoo!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
come on...spoil yourself a little. i would at least go with Ultegra STIs if you're doing 10sp. i still do not like the feel of 105 10sp STIs.
I know it's not a fair comparison, but I have ultegra on one bike and 105 on another. 105 was consistently better for me. Yeah, small sample group.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
105 is just fine... so is Centaur or Veloce. DA and Record is for show boaters. :)

If I was watching my dimes I'd hit 105, when I bought the Chorus Grouppo I'd just busted open my 401K and was on a serious buying binge.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you guys is nuts. the one-oh-five front es-tee-eye feels like poo. mushy poo. i have scientologific evidence to prove it.

for what it's worth, a broken-in 9sp Chorus group gets the top prize for "Best Shifting Ever" from me.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Aren't 105 shifters still all bushing? I know that Ultegra is one bushing and one bearing, and therefore will last longer and yield a smoother shift.

FWIW...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
105 is just fine... so is Centaur or Veloce. DA and Record is for show boaters. :)

If I was watching my dimes I'd hit 105, when I bought the Chorus Grouppo I'd just busted open my 401K and was on a serious buying binge.
That was your advice last time and I was very happy with it. Seems like the center of the product line is consistently the best value.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I have ordered from Chucks Bikes with no problem. as a matter of fact one of the items I ordered the initial color I ordered was out of stock , they emailed me and told me asked what I would like to do , I took a different color , and to make up for it they made it over night shipping!! :thumb:

after all That , go campy!! veloce/centaur works quite well.
I saw an article comparing those groups with 105/SRAM favorably...

Quit being a Jew and go RECORD, its a custom made roadie for Christ's sake. (like the juxapostioning I did there?)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I saw an article comparing those groups with 105/SRAM favorably...

Quit being a Jew and go RECORD, its a custom made roadie for Christ's sake. (like the juxapostioning I did there?)[/QUOlue ? TE]

Good point , you getting a custom frame , I'm sure he frame a cadialac , why are you wanting to put a chevettes parts on it ? what are you b
What I'm not is drunk, unlike you. Repost that in the morning :p