Quantcast

Which Kenda corners better in which condition:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I was checking this tire out too - at first it kinda reminded me a bit of the Tioga Comp III from my BMX days... were you thinking about that tread when you were working on this one?

That was a pretty rad tire by the way - rolled SUPER fast and cornered like no other.

Sounds like things are movin' along BC - glad to hear it's going well. Will these things be available by the time Otter rolls around?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I was checking this tire out too - at first it kinda reminded me a bit of the Tioga Comp III from my BMX days... were you thinking about that tread when you were working on this one?

That was a pretty rad tire by the way - rolled SUPER fast and cornered like no other.

Sounds like things are movin' along BC - glad to hear it's going well. Will these things be available by the time Otter rolls around?
i wasn't thinking of comp 3's bu those were sick Back in the day.....i did put together a bit of some Mods i have run on Tioga MTB stuff as well as michy over my career.....the new Happy Mediums or the ExCavators? i think ExCavators are out already...Happy Medium would be lucky to see proto before See Water

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ya that seems like it would have just the right spot to slide out on, you never have problems with that xtreme of a cut?

edit:my 2008th post, cheers
this was a good tire for loose stuff.

hardpack i would leave as is.

i cut a single ply 29er dual compounds 2.2 tire

this is not like the DH one, i would leave the dh ones alone.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, great to see you on here, EC. I've been pretty curious about that tire.
I'm kinda stuck between the Nevs and the Excavators....so I think I'll get two of each! Plus a set of KOTs for the wicked nasty spring time fun! Nothing like trying to pile a bike through 10-12 inches of gumbo clay covered in an inch of standing water at 20+mph... :)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Holy crap, I just saw where you were located! Geez, I can't whine now...it's 13 hours for me. I was thinking you were in CO and I'd just pick some of you guys up on the way down!
Never been to Angelfire...kinda stoked and nervous. Of course if I don't get my ECD by then, I might not go... my BD3 is a little too short and a lot too steep.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i wouldnt let that be a reason not to go, bd's can just hop over anything! i want to go but havent quite figured out transportation from airports to the races since im only 18

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Dude...you've never struck me as an 18 year old kid. Nice job on acting all grow'd up!
As for the planes and stuff, yeah, that'd be scary, but stick a post up here and I'm bettin you won't have any probs finding someone to pick you up and tote you around for the weekend. I'd do it...but I'll be too busy trying to get unlost as well...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Sorry for the bump, but...

Just picked up a set of the Excavators today in the 26.2.35 sizing. Got a good first ride on them and I'm really happy with them. Has a lot of bite when cornering, rolls good. From what I can tell so far they do a good job in alot of different conditions.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, no need for an apology! Go find your favorite flat corner....and dumb 4" of soggy loam over it and tell me what happens. :)
Kenda's takin their sweet time gettin the sig series out, damnit. I called and they did have a few sets of Excavators on hand, she just wasn't sure which configurations yet. No KOTs though, and that's what I'll be needing around here till it dries up! Gonna be fun! Well, if I can get some KOTS!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Really....? I need to look claser at that tire. Actually...I need an ACTUAL PIC. Is a better hint required??
In the webphotogs it looks like a pretty tame tire, my curiosity is peak-ed....
pics please?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Damn, I am THOROUGHLY impressed! That looks WAY different than the website/catalog pic. Thanks for the pics, Rip.
I think those will be my first purchase. Big lugs look nice and stable. Now gotta decide between Stick-E and DTC...

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I just got a new kenda set-up a few months ago.
Nevegal 2.5 stick-e front
Telonix 2-4 stick-e rear

Nevegal: Amazing grip on wet, loamy dirt. Shreds mud nicely.
Dry, loose: just sucks, the front end came loose and i almost crashed several
times, while the rear was glued.
Over rocks: nice grip, that's it.
Telonix: This tire is really good, handles the off camber like a champ, rolls better than
what you may think by the look. On wet-mud is not that good, but on dry, soft
terrain is very good. Warning: this tire in the rear is hard to get into drifs, if
your cornering style is by drifting with the rear this tire is not for you. is hard
to make it star drifting.

So I'm keeping the telonix in the rear, and now will try to get another for the front.

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
I just got a new kenda set-up a few months ago.
Nevegal 2.5 stick-e front
Telonix 2-4 stick-e rear

Nevegal: Amazing grip on wet, loamy dirt. Shreds mud nicely.
Dry, loose: just sucks, the front end came loose and i almost crashed several
times, while the rear was glued.
Over rocks: nice grip, that's it.
Telonix: This tire is really good, handles the off camber like a champ, rolls better than
what you may think by the look. On wet-mud is not that good, but on dry, soft
terrain is very good. Warning: this tire in the rear is hard to get into drifs, if
your cornering style is by drifting with the rear this tire is not for you. is hard
to make it star drifting.

So I'm keeping the telonix in the rear, and now will try to get another for the front.
You should really be running the Telonix up front and Nevy in the rear. Much better combo as the Telonix has much better cornering traction in more conditions.

Last edited:

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
The excavator rolls pretty damn well, will do a more thorough write up tomorrow.
I've been on these for a couple of months now. Freaking amazing tires.

I have the 2.35 folding DTC version. They can be run at lower pressures than the 2.35 folding nevegal without hitting the rim for some reason. Not a single flat yet on mine running sub 30 psi.

At higher pressures they are a little less grippy on rocks and roots, but lower it down to 25-30 psi and it's very nice.

Roll pretty damn quick for so much retarded amounts of traction.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I still don't know how some peeps are flattin...or atleast ASSUME they WILL flat...on Kenda tires. I've never run anything OVER 12psi, with tubes, on Azonic Outlaws. NEVER have I flatted except on single plys, and that's while trying to bang the same rocky lines I usually do on my 2plys.
I need to add that I am also a line picker, however, I'm no monster truck.

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
I still don't know how some peeps are flattin...or atleast ASSUME they WILL flat...on Kenda tires. I've never run anything OVER 12psi, with tubes, on Azonic Outlaws. NEVER have I flatted except on single plys, and that's while trying to bang the same rocky lines I usually do on my 2plys.
I need to add that I am also a line picker, however, I'm no monster truck.
12 PSI? Me thinks your pump gauge is not correct! :eek:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
12 psi??

Either you are trolling or you ride somewhere with absolutely no rocks or bumps at walking speed. I have ridden DH tires with 12psi in them before on accident, and promptly blew them off the rim. 28-33psi is safe for most DH stuff, maybe 25psi for some slower twisty singletracks, or even 35psi for WFO hacked up stuff. Anything less than 25psi means I just want my rims to die so I can lace up new ones.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
12 psi??

Either you are trolling or you ride somewhere with absolutely no rocks or bumps at walking speed. I have ridden DH tires with 12psi in them before on accident, and promptly blew them off the rim. 28-33psi is safe for most DH stuff, maybe 25psi for some slower twisty singletracks, or even 35psi for WFO hacked up stuff. Anything less than 25psi means I just want my rims to die so I can lace up new ones.
You assume he doesnt weight 64 lbs , bike weight included.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Nope. I weigh 165, ride a Mongoose ECD(not a sloppy, plush ride) and I'll never call myself a racer, but I'm no grandpa on a sunday stroll.
And I actually didn't know I preferred 12, I just have an exact feel I like out of my tires and over a few beers we got to arguing about my psi, I thought I easily had 30-35 in the rear and maybe like 25-30 in the front...I was a bit off. I had 12 psi up front and 14 in the rear.
And I survived ALL the crap at Winterpark, including Trestle DH which was friggin BEAT, All of SolVista and every trail we could roll in 7 hours at Vail. That was BEFORE the argument.
I got a bit leery after that and popped in another 8 psi in each after that, but it only took me an hour of riding and not feeling comfortable to work them back down to almost exactly where I had them, if not a bit lower in the front.
I DO think it has everything to do with my line choice though. And maybe you guys are faster than me, but I didn't get passed all weekend, so I came home with that satisfaction...

Last edited: