Quantcast

Which Maxxis tires for 4x/slalom?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I been using the Lopes and the highroller semi-slick with great results. It's time to order something else and neither of these are made any more. What are people using?

Also, any reviews of the new Ardent? I see it's made in DH sizes in 3C rubber. It looks like a high volume tire?

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I'm going to have to agree with what people have already said. Minion DHF front and Larsen tt rear is my favorite setup. The Larsen can also make a good front tire if everything is packed well. The highroller semislick on the rear is ok but I've had some problems with it letting go in tight berms when I can't get the side knobs dug in. I really liked the Lopes in front (it has the same side knobs as the Minion DHF with lower middle knobs) but Maxxis isn't making it anymore. I'm looking forward to giving the Ardent a try this season in the front.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Check out the monorails for nice smooth tracks. Super fast. Rocking the small block 8s at the moment too. They rock

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
no-one use Bling Blings?
Dude, they don't make the Lopes anymore. Luckily I have several stashed in the basement but yes the TT is a great tire front or rear, but I still occasionally put a highroller up front. Since I still have the bling's I don't have to worry about the new!
BTW, I do not like the advantage or DHF in the front!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
a larsen 2.1 in the back and a 2.35 high roller in the front. check out the madusa's they are pretty sick for muddy stuff, nothing like a good ol' cheese grader tire.

Buildyourown- are you looking for a tire for the fluidride cup races or just in general?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Never Liked the Lopes - too wide and flat
TT not enough side knobs
High roller semi slick ok in some cases but, too heavy
Minion Dhf great for old school slalom on a steep fast course otherwise it is too heavy and too much resistance.
Highroller 2.35 same as Minion but, more grip so slower

Advantage 2.25 and Ardent 2.25 are my new choices
Although the Ardent isn't available yet through sponsorship
Where did you get the Ardents Caputo?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I run crossmarks on the rear for MTX or Bmx tracks they are great.

Anyone tried the Ranchero? I run crossmark rear ranchero front for xc
but, haven't tried the ranchero may work as a good rear slaom/mtx tire?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Mostly the Fluidride cup and a little SST action. I really like the Lopes. I'm not sure why they got rid of it.

I like your combo. I already have the tires too!
I rode the fluidride cup course over the weekend, its pretty flat (besides the start and second corner into the table) and i guess you could say rough a bit. you would def. want a fast rolling tire, single ply anything. the last rythm section is going to be pretty hard to get down b/c of the speed. i'll be running either larsens or nevgals. bring some tires with you and play around with combo's on the friday before slalom or on sat.