Quantcast

Which NE lift pass this year?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm on the fence about where (or if) to buy a DH lift pass this year. I live in Northern VT and have had passes for Bromont in the past. Last year I didn't get one and am kind of glad I didn't. That place was pretty banged up from the mid-season onwards. I'm thinking pretty hard about a pass for Highland since it just keeps getting better and better, but downsides are it's far away and gas is getting pricier, plus lift lines were getting pretty big last year. Have they grown too much? The only other option I can see is Burke, but that's a total unknown, I know very little about their plans for this year and have heard nothing about pricing for a lift pass (I will get a KTA pass either way).

Apr 17, 2010
Haven't been to Burke but from this video it looks interesting, http://www.pinkbike.com/video/164708/#top

On the other hand, I've been a pass holder at Highland for the last 5 years and will continue probably as long as I live in the NE, yes, sometimes when it gets too crowded the S-L-O-W lift really gets frustrating, but I really like the way everybody in the crew is so chill.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, I can't tell you where you should buy a pass, but while Burke is awesome for a day, if you don't live down the street, you'll be disappointed. They have only 2-4 trails depending on how you look at it, and 3 are REALLY tame. One is incredible, easily on par with anything at highland, but that's 1 trail.....the lift goes 1/3 of the way up the mountain. I would get the KT pass and spend per-day on the lift....but it's worth going once or twice. I hope the Burke mountain trails pick up this year. If they did, I would be hard pressed to go elsewhere.

As for highland...I love riding there but it gets old quick. There aren't that many trails and while the trail construction is top notch, they still get beat up by the THOUSANDS of riders on all of the more popular trails. It also looks like they're focusing on their freestyle/HTC side of things as well as the XC side, with what sounded like trails that go up and down the mountain and XC focused rentals. They haven't mentioned much about their DH trails, though I assume upper hellion will be completed finally and they'll probably get halfway done with their DH trail/maiden replacement by the GRT, then close it until next year....Still, it's worth several trips, I just can't bring myself to drop $350 there.

What about Whiteface? Super long trails but maybe not a ton of variety. Beats you to paste as well.

I haven't ridden there, but I've heard rumors that mount snow may be turning around...they share a great race series too.

I typically don't buy a pass, as I don't get to any one mountain enough to justify it. I dig highland a lot, but I like natural DH too much to park it there. I love Plattekill more than anything but it's 4.5hrs away. Jiminy is dead, most of the others are worth a visit or two but that's about it.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Burke is kind of an unknown quantity. No word on what they are going to build this year, or what a lift pass will cost.

As for Highland, I really, really like what they are doing down there. I'm looking forward to a new race trail that I assume will be up and running by the GRT.