Quantcast

Which spokes: DT or Wheelsmith??

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hey. Having a new wheelset built and have a choice in spokes. My current wheels have DT spokes, but I've never heard anything good or bad about either. I will be getting 14g DB if that helps. Thanks!

greasemonkey

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
WA
the butts on butted wheelsmith spokes are abrupt, whereas the DT ones are smooth and gradual. i've seen and replaced scads more broken ws spokes than DT. the DT steel is also marginally more dense, as you can see if you compare the masses of identical straight-guage spokes. i like that. perhaps it's a result of the cold-forging process, i dunno.

i have re-built many problematic wheelsmith-spoked wheels with comparable DT spokes, and had nothing but excellent results. i'm a total DT fan because they have never given me any reason not to like them.

i won't even build a wheel with butted wheelsmith spokes anymore, unless the customer absolutely insists. that hasn't happened yet.

greasemonkey

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
WA
Originally posted by Nobody

The DT are rolled to make them thinner in the middle - this compresses the material. Wheelsmith are drawn - pulled through a mandrill to a smaller diameter, which does not increase strength. Hence, the slight edge the DT has over the WS.

cold rolling = cold forging