Quantcast

Which spokes: DT or Wheelsmith??

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hey. Having a new wheelset built and have a choice in spokes. My current wheels have DT spokes, but I've never heard anything good or bad about either. I will be getting 14g DB if that helps. Thanks!

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
the major difference between these spokes is the butting, i think. If I remember correctly, wheelsmith has an all or nothing sharp butt. Whereas DT has a butt that has a transition between the gauges. I can't say what to get, but that is what I know.

Definately go for the DT's, over wheelsmiths, i have always had good luck with them, and if you get recent ones, they have spoke prep already in the nipples, something very nice and efficient for a good built, go for either the comp. or revo's.....both are good choices
Andi

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
I was talking to a local shop owner yesterday and commenting on how flexy my wheels always seem to be, he said he always uses DT, said he tried wheelsmith once while building wheelsets for the little 500 and was freaked because they wouldn't stress relieve and take a set, could not stop having to retrue them,he went back to DT, no problems ever since
BTW, good to see another hoosier here,andimon1
Originally posted by andimon1
Definately go for the DT's, over wheelsmiths, i have always had good luck with them, and if you get recent ones, they have spoke prep already in the nipples, something very nice and efficient for a good built, go for either the comp. or revo's.....both are good choices
Andi

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
i have wheelsets with both types of spokes, and they have both held up well. The builder that I go through uses only wheelsmith. It seems to be mostly a personal preference thing. And I think wheelsmith spokes come with their spoke prep on the threads as well.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
DT's are forged meaning they start out a bigger leight of metal and get compressed into the shap of a spoke (making the metal dens) thein cut to the right leigth and the threads are rolled on making for stronger treads and more material to the treads.
Wheelcrap's (Oh, I mean smith's) are drawn meaning the metal is streached to the right diameter and lenght and have cut threads making weaker threads with a loss of material.
Sorry about the spelling.:(
DT,DT,DT,DT!!!!!!!!!:monkey:

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Originally posted by Colin
Hey. Having a new wheelset built and have a choice in spokes. My current wheels have DT spokes, but I've never heard anything good or bad about either. I will be getting 14g DB if that helps. Thanks!
DT competition is one of the best spikes on the planet!!!
I prefer Sapim Race, even better!

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I would go with the DT Competitions 2.0/1.8/2.0 and have them laced to DT prolock nipples. These nipples have a nice threadlock already on them, however this makes the build slightly trickier when you get up to the higher tensions needed for a durable wheel.

If weight is a concern and you are easy enough on your wheels you may want to look at the supercomps.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by spokedwheel
I've built over two thousand wheels
With those kind of numbers you must be from the inside not a shop. Where have you worked. Winkel, Bill Hanky, SBS, Performance, Team wrench, Where? Inquiring minds want to know. I used to be Winkel's production manager.

Endless

Chimp
Mar 20, 2002
North Carolina
Originally posted by Colin
Hey,

In my experiance, both wheelsmith and DT straight guage spokes are quality.

BUT:
Double butted spokes have MUCH improved fatigue life, when done right. This means having the tapered section smooth, and long, so the stresses slowly build up towards the middle section of the spoke.

DT seems to achieve this notably better than wheelsmith, and for this reason, I choose DT 15-14-15 double butted stainless spokes.

Good Luck with the wheels!