Quantcast

which way?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Which way should a chainring face? I got a xtr crankset with chainguide and I'm using the middle 36t chainring that came with the cranks. I for get which way the rings were designed to rotate, ie where should the ramps/pins race? inboard or outboard?

Secondly the chainring bolts. I can't get them to tighten down all the way...the barrels that they thread into keep spinning. The barrels have these two notches cut into them Which I Assume is for some tool to hold them down. I've been using the blade of a pair of scissors but that method is terribly inefficient. Which tool should I use? If not the too does anyone have an idea for a makeshift one? I don't have any flat head screwdrivers that will span the distance of the notches. Thanks.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
there's a tool...chainring bolt tool. park makes one...can't remember how much it costs, though. can't be too expensive 'cause it's quite minimal. before that i used a penny or a dime.

as for the chainring...i'd guess the pins would face inward.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
yeah pins face inward.

I used a screwdriver that fit snugly in the slot but didn't reach across both notches, the trick is to just keep the screwdriver in there with enough pressure to keep it from spinning, usually if you can hold it for just a little bit then there will be enough friction to hold it as you crank it down without having to use a screwdriver or whatever tool you are supposed to use.

Apr 22, 2003
Lower VT
The pins and ramps go on the inside as was previously stated.

As for tightening the chainring hardware, I find it's easiest to remove the crank from the bike and set it ramp side-up on my workbench. I let a bit of the chainring overhang the edge of the workbench so that I can access one bolt at a time with an Allen wrench. I hold the nut stationary with a putty knife that I picked up at Home Depot for $3. If your nuts are recessed (like mine are) you can custom fit the putty knife to the nut by grinding it down a bit.
-spuzz

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
there should be a little notch on the ring that signifies it should be rotated to be in line with the crank arm.

Get the shimano chainring bolt tool, i posted it in this forum a while back if you want to search for it.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
The text on the ring will also (usually) read out. Ramps and pins pointed so they help the chain up onto the teeth. Shimano tool is best, it also has a pin tool on it that will let you unscrew dust caps from cranks, and two, mostly useless, box wrenches.