Quantcast

which wheels

novatrek

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
inwood west virginia
hey im going to get a new set of wheels and i was wondering what you all had to say.im going to get xt hubs on any set i get and i just want a set that will be trouble free for all kinds of riding.

mavic x517
mavic x519
mavic x618
bontrager mustang

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I've had great results with the 517s, but you may want to get the 519s because they are stronger and more suited to ALL types of riding than the 517s.

However, if you ride where it's at all wet some of or most of the time, the xt hubs are not the ideal hub for you. They do not do well in moist evirons. I know others have said that they have had theirs for years with no problem, but they don't have a large grease area and aren't sealed up the tightest. Of course if it's not wet where you ride then they should be fine. If it is however, WTB is supposed to make some fine hubs for the wet/mud, etc.

novatrek

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
inwood west virginia
i dont think water will be a problem with the kind of riding im doing.hopefully when i get better it will be but for now im just trying to get up my speed and things with out falling on my ass ever two mins.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
so the rims:

517: designed to be light. It's not going to take big drops, but its 395g. I haven't had much trouble running it as a front wheel tho, and I weigh 185

618: BOMBproof it's got every feature mavic has to make rims stronger, and a slightly higher profile and thicker walls than the
517. Drawback: it's got ceramic sidewalls so if you're running rims you need to buy special pads. Weight penalty of 55g over the 517.

F519: basically a 517 with a higher and wider profile. weight penalty over 517- 65g

Maverick: not as fancy as the mavic's but basically the same design as a 517 (i had the mustang, which has the same profile, and I was able to switch it out for a 517 without getting new spokes). I don't have any first hand exp with em tho. weight 435g