Quantcast

Which XTR BB to use?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hi. Is there a big difference between the two XTR BB's -- the M950 and the M952? I realize one uses cartridge bearings and the other doesn't, but will I go wrong using either? Thanks!

greasemonkey

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
WA
BB M-950 is lighter, has more durable compound ball/needle bearings, is rebuildable, but has poorer sealing and requires more maintenance, as well as being more sensitive to whether your BB is properly faced prior to installation

the M-952 is a sealed unit, requiring zero maintenance. stick it in, and go. it weighs a little more and uses simpler caged-ball bearings, so might not last as long as a well-maintained M-950, but will certainly outlast a poorly maintained M-950 because it is sealed much better.

mtnbikfrut

Chimp
Nov 13, 2001
Santa Barbara
If you're running a mrp, I would definitely run a m950 because the drive side has twice as many threads on it. An important feature when running a mrp + any spacers.

good luck,

garrett

:monkey:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by mtnbikfrut
If you're running a mrp, I would definitely run a m950 because the drive side has twice as many threads on it. An important feature when running a mrp + any spacers.

good luck,

garrett

:monkey:
It depends, the XTR BB is a 68/73 shell, which uses spacers, so if its a 68mm shell with an MRP, it works perfect. I prefer the 952 BB the 950's all disinagrate.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Back from the dead this thread goes. :p

My 952's just refuse to die, but the BB's are not so fortunate.
I heard a rumor that a shimano road BB fits and cost less.
Anybody know which one it is?

Thanks

J

JRB

Any of the octalink 105s, Ultegras, or DAs will fit. You just have to find out which length and shell fit. I don't think they make any 73mm shells for road BBS though.