Quantcast

Whick V Brake Levers?

R_Andersen

Chimp
Dec 13, 2001
I'm looking to get my brother a set of V brake levers for Xmas. The guy he bought the bike from added V brake but left the standard levers on it. I could use some advice on which levers would be best. I was looking at the Shimnano M739 and M950 levers but really aren't sure of the difference between them. Any recommendations or suggestions for other levers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Rob

R_Andersen

Chimp
Dec 13, 2001
Which Avid levers would you recommend? I see the SD 2.0L's and also the Speed Dial 7 levers look good. Are the speed dial 7's V brake levers or just standard ones?

Thanks Again,
Rob

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
As far as the models of the Avid levers go, I think all of the new ones are for V-brakes. All models perform more or less the same, the differences primarily come down to adjustment features and weight, so pick what fits your budget. The Speed Dial 7 would be a good pick.

Jugdish - as far as the Ti Avid's go, I would skip the Ti and just go w/ the next highest model. If I remeber right, the Ti model only drops about 20 grams for a cost of $20 more over the Single Digit 7's (per brake), not really worth the money to me.

jugdish

Chimp
Jul 10, 2001
Colorado
RX- Do you know anything about the Arch Rivals? I'm leaning toward the XTR as I have them on the geared bike and really like the feel of them. It's a Christmas gift so price isn't a concern, damn I don't get to say that enough.

R_Andersen

Chimp
Dec 13, 2001
Stupid question guys... I was lloking at the prices online for the levers and was wondering if the prices I'm seeing ($35-$70) are for a pair of levers or just one?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
RA - prices are for a pair for levers and for one wheel for the brakes.

Jug - I have Arch rivals on one of my bikes. I like them a lot, but think the single digit series works just as well and are a bit lighter. I found a great deal on the front and rear brakes plus levers which is why I went with the Arch Rivals.

I haven't used the XTR's, but I've heard people complain about slop developing in the parallel push mechanism.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The paralel push mech is on the brake caliper not the lever. The XTR lever is a thing of beauty. The leverage is adjustable by way of a little knurled knob on a threaded shaft under the body . Avid has the same adjustment by way of a knurled nut on the outside of the body. perhaps its a exposed to being damaged out there but in practise probably a rare happening. Both Avid and Shimano make various levels of lever and they're all worthy products. personally I'd use weight features and price as the deciding factor.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
OF - yes, the parallel mech is on the brake, my reply was part of the ques. about the Arch Rivals (brakes). The thread has gotten intermingled (mostly my fault ) w/ lever and brake questions and answers and may be a bit confusing.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I got a pair of avid speed dial ti for cheap at the end of the season. i really like them but I noticed that the handle is bit shorter and when they were on my geared bike ( I know joe) they were a little short with my ESP shifters. Something to consider. XTR are real nice in my opinion as well but the avids definitely feel stiffer.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
XTR's are nice but the buck stops at Avid. Accept no imitations. And since you all did drift onto parallel push etc, save your money and buy the cheap arms without it. In my opinion parallel push is a waste of money and offers no perfromance benefits.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by trialsmasta
XTR's are nice but the buck stops at Avid. Accept no imitations. And since you all did drift onto parallel push etc, save your money and buy the cheap arms without it. In my opinion parallel push is a waste of money and offers no perfromance benefits.
Dido on the Avid Levers but I way disagree with you on the parallel push. Once I got my XTR's I was amazed at the differance. They by far WAY improve braking, and wear better on the pads, combine it with a ceramic coated rim and you are spot on.. Only draw back I found is that they increase your braking so much that two things happen.
1. If you ride in nasty weather you will eat thrue even CD Ceramic rims 4 to 6 months befor a regular V brake will.
2. It lets you know what you have been missing in your ride and increases your desire for more power (ie:disk brakes).
Consider this Avid Speed Dial 7.0 Levers with Avid Mechanicals, using the new 2002 XT Disc Hubs Swap in an XTR Cassette Body is about as light as XT V levers, brakes,and Regular XT Hubs.:) :D :cool: :p :eek:

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Originally posted by jodysbike

Dido on the Avid Levers but I way disagree with you on the parallel push. Once I got my XTR's I was amazed at the differance. They by far WAY improve braking, and wear better on the pads, combine it with a ceramic coated rim and you are spot on.. Only draw back I found is that they increase your braking so much that two things happen.
1. If you ride in nasty weather you will eat thrue even CD Ceramic rims 4 to 6 months befor a regular V brake will.
2. It lets you know what you have been missing in your ride and increases your desire for more power (ie:disk brakes).
Consider this Avid Speed Dial 7.0 Levers with Avid Mechanicals, using the new 2002 XT Disc Hubs Swap in an XTR Cassette Body is about as light as XT V levers, brakes,and Regular XT Hubs.:) :D :cool: :p :eek:
Parallel push might help with pad wear but If you set your pads to make contact square with the rim what ever happens on the approach is immateral. The advantage that non parallel push brakes have over parallel push it that for trials use they don't get slopped out and once they do get slopped out they get even mushier. I think the price you pay for even pad wear really isn't worth it. Went the parallel push route tossed them out after a few months. XTR arms arn't too bad but they definatly get sloppy. But I guess it's all personal preference.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I can see how for trials you could tear em apart. But for general XC riding Parellel push can not be beat. It's not just a matter of pad wear. It's leverage. All enginering ad design principles prove this.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Hey alot of people even use them for trials. I just don't like the slop. The whole leverage thing really isn't to any significance what so ever (less than a fraction of a percentage point). Simple physics will prove this. Just set your pads up square. Once there set up square the push theoretically is parallel. Any compression etc from there is so insignificant to change the lenght of the moment arm it's not worth calculating. What ever happens on the approach of my brake pad to my rim is immaterial. All you got to do is pop the spring out, push your arm all the way to the rim, line the pad up square, tighten the bolt then put the spring back in. Presto :D