Quantcast

Whips 101

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I suck at whips, but they are one of my favorite things to watch.

Billy wasn't very stoked on this photo.

Myself sorta whipped at some trails. I suck at them.

Pedro. Textbook.

-L

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Seth - didn't know you got t-downs on your list now - that's my fav trick

Landon - dope whips as usual.

sittingduck - they weren't called whips BITD but still pretty close to the classic "kick-out". With the flat landings and single walled Araya 7x's back then I didn't do them much - worried too much about bent wheels.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
sittingduck - they weren't called whips BITD but still pretty close to the classic "kick-out". With the flat landings and single walled Araya 7x's back then I didn't do them much - worried too much about bent wheels.
:D I think I was running those exact rims back then too.... But I went ahead and thrashed on 'em anyway.

Attachments

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
holy shat! a Miami Hopper on a cruiser?! These young folk won't understand how rad that was. It was a pretty hard trick to get in and out of on a 20". Very very cool. I can imagine that front Araya (or was is a Ukai?) was making some funky sounds!

I can't tell for certain from the pic but is that a RedLine cruiser? Looks like a 5" headtube and RedLine and Schwinn are the only ones I can think of that used something other than 4".

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
holy shat! a Miami Hopper on a cruiser?! These young folk won't understand how rad that was. It was a pretty hard trick to get in and out of on a 20". Very very cool. I can imagine that front Araya (or was is a Ukai?) was making some funky sounds!
I can't tell for certain from the pic but is that a RedLine cruiser? Looks like a 5" headtube and RedLine and Schwinn are the only ones I can think of that used something other than 4".
I'm pretty sure the rims were Arayas. It's been over 20 years ago....
You guessed it on the cruiser, I rode Redline PL24s back then for quite a while. Broke a couple of them too. :D I was always pretty handy with tools, and built my own wheels, so I always kept my spoke tension good, and my wheels trued up. Sometimes the worst damage to my rims was pulling the nipples right through the single-walled rim from having them so tight. :banghead:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Good stuff Cru, saw those on your blog, great looking spot.

Someone got a decent shot of me the other weekend at the park working on my whips.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I don't know how many of you have seen this... But this is one huge whip.

Look at 28 seconds.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Good stuff Cru, saw those on your blog, great looking spot.

Someone got a decent shot of me the other weekend at the park working on my whips.
Thanks, man. I saw your comment, you're like the only one that leaves comments... I appreciate it. You'd actually be surprised at the amount of traffic the site gets, though.

That's a good looking whip you've got going in that pic. I've learned that the key to big whips is big jumps. It just gives you more time to get all tweaky in the air.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
really not a full whip but it's all I got right now on the PC.

How recent is that pic Jasride? I recognize that spot and have ridden there, but thought it was gone. Best day of my life, the day I rode there. I won't name it out of respect.

Nice pic, btw

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
really not a full whip but it's all I got right now on the PC.

Who cares what trick it is - that's at Minersville! Still - great style. And I'm sure the set you were hitting was pretty burly as well. I never got a chance to go there but my friends said it was big, amazing but big.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
THE BEST I HAVE SEEN ARE OF JD SWANGUEN
Agreed. I posted this vid in K-Dub's thread the other day, but it def deserves to be posted in here. JD throws some of the sickest whips I've ever seen (at Hidden Valley, RIP), but then takes a GNARLY slam. There's a bunch of crap in the beginning. Let it load, then skip to like half way through the vid to actually see some riding...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/13958/

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
How recent is that pic Jasride? I recognize that spot and have ridden there, but thought it was gone. Best day of my life, the day I rode there. I won't name it out of respect.

Nice pic, btw

ballr, thanks man, and yes good times. That pic i think was from 2005.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA

Ya Cru, what Don said, you do have some style bro. I also did just realize your left side rear brake-age, good stuff. And that leather patch on your jeans that says "route sixty-whip".

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Agreed. I posted this vid in K-Dub's thread the other day, but it def deserves to be posted in here. JD throws some of the sickest whips I've ever seen (at Hidden Valley, RIP), but then takes a GNARLY slam. There's a bunch of crap in the beginning. Let it load, then skip to like half way through the vid to actually see some riding...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/13958/
For sure, the vid of JD whipping it out there was killer, homeboy took one hell of a digger though.